Kit valve springs - ZX Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By ritchie-t

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: ZX7R 1996 road bike, ZX7R 1997 race bike

Kit valve springs

I know this is unlikely to yield results, but it is worth an ask

I am desperate for a set of kit valve springs and retainers for my race bike. If anybody has a complete set they are willing to sell then let me know.

Alternatively I would by happy to buy just one inner and outer spring if somebody had them surplus to requirements. I can measure the spring rate and then attempt to find alternative springs that may fit from other bikes that closely match the kit spring rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 03:30 AM

I Ride: 2003 ZX7R-Green..

Damn.
Right at crunch time as well.
When does the racing start.

Good luck

Sent from my new fangled Morse Code machine.

2003 ZX7R - Green
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitgreen View Post
Damn.
Right at crunch time as well.
When does the racing start.

Good luck

Racing starts next weekend. I do have a running bike, but I am not revving past 11k for safety. The cams I have are higher lift than stock and a more aggressive profile. The bike pulls really well to 11k but I can tell it wants to keep going and my stock spring may well be up to the job but I am not willing to chance it. Until I can get some springs sorted I will always be holding back slightly :(

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 05:12 AM

At least you know what might happen and are smart enough not to let it happen.
In turn saving money and time. Although you may just have to reach into your bag of tricks or take a risk here and there to get on podium.

Watched Cadwell the other day.
That first race was nutz.
Love the little jump on top of course.
Great stuff.

2003 ZX7R - Green
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:49 AM
RRRRRR

I'll recount mine and see if I can sell you extras

ZX7RR WSB: Factory motor, Factory swinger, Ohlins WSB forks, Yanagawa carbon body and factory tank, etc etc

Muzzy Race Raptor
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:58 PM

Just saw the Avon Golden Era SBK Donington race..
Learned that you won the race on a borrowed GSXR 750..
What's the health of the Kawi?

2003 ZX7R - Green
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, not been on the message boards for ages. Only just seen your post. Been busy trying to mix maintaining/fixing the race bike alongside the rest of life :)

Funny that you would mention that in this post! I actually snapped a valve on practice day which caused lots of damage as you can imagine. Still had the stock CDI on so was not over revving it. I think there multiple contributing factors. High lift fast open fast shut cams and high millage valves and the fact I did the first round on stock valve springs. I went to check the shims just before the race weekend and noticed that one of the valves had got very very tight. Because the valve had done only one race weekend before it was last checked it seemed strange that it had tightened up after such short use. The theory I have to go with is that it was stretching which is why it needed such a small shim (at 2.60) to get the clearance right. It didn't take long to let go and although everything was a mess in the engine, the evidence shows that it snapped at the very top and then dropped down.

I have almost finished putting the engine together again with a set of 16 brand spanking new valves made to kit spec from a single block unlike the standard ones which are actually made in two pieces, the head and the stem (i believe friction welded). New overbored cylinders because the liner was damaged, new head because the valve punctured it and a new Wiseco piston for obvious reasons. All 4 pistons have new rings on as I will be running in again (this weekend). The next round is at Snetterton the following weekend. It's non stop at the moment :)

I damaged some of the lower kit valve retainers which is a shit because they are obviously rare items. I have found out that you can make up the equivalent of a kit 3 piece lower retainer with a stock lower one and the lower of the 3 kit piece retainers underneath it. The dimensions come out the same and because it is fixed at the bottom I don't have to worry about any differences in moving mass. Lucky for me because I have some spare of the very bottom kit ones. I would like to get the full set complete again just for resale value if anything. Probably will pester CCM soon because if I remember right, the middle and top parts of the kit lower 3 piece retainers are the ones he had plenty of ;)

If all goes well this weekend when I test ride it then I should be good for Snetterton where there will be no second chances for a bike not running right because the straights are sooo long there.

As you have already learnt, I was lucky enough that somebody let me borrow a spare GSXR SRAD for that race weekend. Its biggest strength is that it is so light for its age. I know the 7Rs are heavy, but I have done all I can to get the weight down and it does not come close to how light that bike felt. It was weighted at 172KG with oil in.

Full story is here if you are interested in the details :)

http://ritchie71.com/index.php?contr...iew&id_post=21
keepitgreen and gunther19820 like this.

Last edited by ritchie-t; 04-19-2017 at 12:51 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:00 PM

Wow.
Lots of goings on right there.
Keep plowing ahead.
Get that 7 healthy.

Sent from my new fangled Morse code machine.

2003 ZX7R - Green
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:16 PM

I Ride: lots

You certainly have had you share of it.
But a good result with the suzuki Must make you think.
Can you tell me who made your valves And were they very expensive.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnut View Post
You certainly have had you share of it.
But a good result with the suzuki Must make you think.
Can you tell me who made your valves And were they very expensive.
Dropped you a PM mate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page