My H1 "It's Alive!" resurrection project - ZX Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

I Ride: 89' ZXR750 H1, 84' GPz750 (Basket case), 82' KZ750 (My next project)

My H1 "It's Alive!" resurrection project

Aloha Guys.

I finally manage to get the bike out from the bushes, and started my resurrection project. I will post up picture as things progress, but for now/today, just the simple wash and she already started to shine in my eyes. This baby was love at first sight, and I'm planning to keep her as long as I can (I'm pretty sure bike will outlast me. I mean I don't think I can keep up with that riding position. I have bad back, and my stomach is getting bigger!).

Anyway, here are some pictures I took, some few days ago, some today. Some are already posted in different section, but I'll post it up again.

My VIN #

As promised, only have 3500, well, almost 3600 original miles

She looks pretty rough at this point. Started to pull the bike out, only to find that caliper were frozen. So took the calipers out. don't worry. After I took this photo, I secured the caliper using some wires and it's not dangling.

Pulled her out completely and gave her light wash. Just water and some rags. I didn't use any soap or detergent and she cleaned up pretty nice. Can't wait to take it a part and give her through wash!

Just the weather teaser shot. Nice sunny sky with mid-80's weather today. Damn, I wish the bike were running........................

Hopefully, weather will cooperate with me on my next day-off so I can start to strip the bike down and give her much needed cleaning. I also started my shopping list, and going through evilbay to collect necessary parts. For now, I definitely need both fork tubes. I doubt I can clean up as it's pretty badly rusted. Found some fork assy on eveilbay, so hopefully, I can get them soon.

Also, I posted this question on my other post, but no one has reply yet, so I'll try here. Does anyone know H2 radiator fits on H1? Found H2 nearby but only thing I could see that I can use was the radiator.

Anyway, stay tune.

89' ZX-7 Ninja (ZX750-H1) since new. Kawasaki factory color (Lime Green). 3500 Original mile, hopefully it will change soon. Everything is stock!
82' KZ 750 Cafe Racer - My next Project. Still apart but in assy. Fork-Brace (Yes. I'm that old), Kerker pipe, Clip-On, Rear-Set, Mikuni Flat-Slide carb but forgot the size. Front 19, Rear 18.
84' GPz 750 (Basket case) - May use this to finish my KZ. But hoping to complete the bike. However, even the engine is all a part. Wish me luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:06 PM

I Ride: dicks mostly

What's the back story, how did you find it?

My highschool auto shop teacher once said "calipers don't like to go bungee jumping!" ;)

Nice clean example, glad it cleaned up so nice!

Read me; you'll probably regret it.
http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/

1989 Kawasaki ZX7-H1
1998 Suzuki GSX-R750 x2
1993 Honda CBR900RR
1994 Honda CBR900RR
1997 Buell M2 Cyclone
I think that's all of them?
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
What's the back story, how did you find it?

My highschool auto shop teacher once said "calipers don't like to go bungee jumping!" ;)

Nice clean example, glad it cleaned up so nice!
It's not a find. I had this bike since new back in 89'. I just dug up recently because my boy want to learn how to ride. I'll be on this baby, and my boy will be on 82' KZ750.

Yeah, I know calipers don't like bungee jumps, but both were on SS brake line, and I plan to change it anyway due to it's age.

Holidays are coming up, so I'll hold back on the bike other than through cleaning. After new year, I'll start working on the bike, but since I don't have a garage, weather need to cooperate with my day-off.

89' ZX-7 Ninja (ZX750-H1) since new. Kawasaki factory color (Lime Green). 3500 Original mile, hopefully it will change soon. Everything is stock!
82' KZ 750 Cafe Racer - My next Project. Still apart but in assy. Fork-Brace (Yes. I'm that old), Kerker pipe, Clip-On, Rear-Set, Mikuni Flat-Slide carb but forgot the size. Front 19, Rear 18.
84' GPz 750 (Basket case) - May use this to finish my KZ. But hoping to complete the bike. However, even the engine is all a part. Wish me luck.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Got back from work today (yeah, I work on Christmas!) and had some time, so decided to work on my bike, only for weather to go bad, and rain here and there. Still I manage to open the rear seat to see what I had in there. Among with original wimpy Kawasaki tools, look what I found! Owner's Manual!! Before I could do more treasure hunt, started to rain hard, so call it off for the day.

I tried to edit the second picture, but for some reason, photobucket won't allow me to do it.

Anyway, I'm off tomorrow, so hope the weather will cooperate with me so I can work on my bike. Right now, trying to to see if I can rebuilt/repair the parts, or need to do more parts collecting and rebuilt those parts.

Last edited by Ojisan rider; 12-25-2016 at 06:00 PM.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

My day-off today and weather didn't look good, but went ahead and did the strip down with help from my son. He's on winter break (Yes, even in Hawaii there's winter break), so he have lots of time in his hand.

Forgot to take picture on start, but here are the progress and condition on the bike. Some are worst shape than I thought, most are better than I expected. One drawback. Fuel tank was filled with tan colored fluid inside. I remember had some gas left when I park the bike (About gallon left), but when I went to open it up, it was full to the rim with this tan fluid. For now, I kept the tank just in case I can find any replacement (what am I gonna do with the tank if I can't find any replacement, I don't know).

Anyway, here we go.

Body panels.

Rear Frame. I once had alarm in there. I don't remember why I took it out.

Carburetor. It seems I once tried to modified to gain something. Probably the reason why I can't find my airbox anywhere.

Here are the wimpy original Kawasaki tools that came with the bike. Hex keys are added by me. Why I added, I don't remember............

After these picture taking, only thing I could take off were the handle controls and Carburetors. Got dark so called it off for the day. Next in line, is to strip it down completely and send the chassis to paint shop. But first, I need to find that damn tank. Anybody have spare H1 or H2 tank? Shoot me PM.

post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:00 AM

I Ride: ZX14-R: Former bikes --> 2001 929RR, '04, '06 & '08 1000RR and '08 GSXR 1000

I definitely commend you guys who take on these kinds of projects. For me, I'd run the other way if I see a rusted up bike like that and run straight to the dealer...but that's just my opinion. I'm sure it's going to look sweet once she's up prepped up especially being such a classic bike. These bikes looked spectacular once restored.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
August 2014 & April 2015
Ride of the Month Winner
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 11:27 AM

I Ride: ZXR 750 L

I am stoked to see this project - please keep the updates coming.

Love a rebuild thread and the fact you'll be riding out with your son.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Got to work on the bike little more today. I know everyone likes photos, so I'll post it up, but really nothing to see. Just the few more stuff off the bike. I would like to do more, but waiting on front and rear racing stand to come in. Found couple good deal on the net, only for the shipping to kill a great deal. Found one front stand for about $65, but have to pay additional $80 for shipping. same goes to rear. Found one at around $55, only needs additional $59 for shipping. Yeah, it's great living in Paradise. Not to mention the price of gas are getting closed to $3/Gal now. No, that's not premium gas.

Now, I know the front fork needs replacement. Found couple on evilbay. Hope those are straight. More seriously, I need to find gas tank for my baby. Looked inside the tank today and I don't think I can salvage it. All the same, found someone to weld the tank, so I'll take it to radiator shop to clean it out, cut the tank and see if I can fix it.

Everything else seems to be OK. Just dirty and lots of rusted bolt which I have hard time loosing it. I can't believe so many Phillip-head screw on this bike. And since I have most of the nuts and bolts out, looking at some Ti nuts and bolts.

BTW, just how do you guys keep the engine upright once you take it off the frame/bike? Cars have engine stand and cradle, but never seen one for a bike. What do you guys use? If there's a stand or cradle, I don't mind buying one if the price is right. I have two more engine to fix besides my H1. If not, maybe on wooden pallets?
2fat2fly likes this.

Last edited by Ojisan rider; 01-02-2017 at 11:41 PM.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:09 AM

I Ride: 92 ZX7J, 04 R6, 00 XR 100

I used a wood dolly (so you can move it easily), when reinstalling the engine just remove the rear wheel.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 AM

I Ride: 96 zx-7r & 94 zx-9r

I have been trying to post picture of my build... I drag and drop them. But they do not upload. How do I upload pictures?
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:29 PM

I Ride: 2x 89 ZXR750 H1's

Hi Love your rebuild - a lot of work there to be sure, but it will be totally worth it!
RE: Engine stand. I made my own using a old oven tray, an old car jack, some cement mix (concrete) and a old piece of wood.
Remove the sump. Pinch the wife's oven tray when she is out shopping, drill some holes in it and bolt it to the car jack. Fill oven tray with some wet concrete and put a plastic shopping bag over it. Press the sump into it to make a mold. Replace sump, jack up the oven tray with now dry concrete mold. Undo engine mount bolts, lower jack and shuffle bike to the side. Is very helpful for getting the motor back in too .
Make sure you practice the "blank face look" when wife asks where oven tray has gone. Don't worry, she will know where to get another one - wives know these things

Spearzy likes this.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys. I didn't even know I had comments! I usually go straight down to quick post thinking no one is reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillZX14 View Post
I definitely commend you guys who take on these kinds of projects. For me, I'd run the other way if I see a rusted up bike like that and run straight to the dealer...but that's just my opinion. I'm sure it's going to look sweet once she's up prepped up especially being such a classic bike. These bikes looked spectacular once restored.
Yeah, buying good used ZX-7 or even the R model is probably cheaper. After I tore it down, I'm like "What am I thinking?!", but the baby I have was love at first sight, so I'll try resurrect her as much as possible.

Slowly but surely, getting the parts I need. Just waiting on racing stands.

post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:52 PM

I Ride: 99ZX7R (street) 98 ZX7R (track). 89 ZX10

Just don't get discouraged.....when time and money start to get tight just roll it back where it was and it will be there ready when you are. It has waited this long after all!!!

Keep up the progress.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern7 View Post
I am stoked to see this project - please keep the updates coming.

Love a rebuild thread and the fact you'll be riding out with your son.
Thanks Northern7. I'll do my best to update the progress. From now on, it will be a slow progress as I'm in the search for good used tank, and probably need to repaint it. Time to look for good paint shop around here, which is like looking for Holy Grail.

post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicenterr7 View Post
I used a wood dolly (so you can move it easily), when reinstalling the engine just remove the rear wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
Hi Love your rebuild - a lot of work there to be sure, but it will be totally worth it!
RE: Engine stand. I made my own using a old oven tray, an old car jack, some cement mix (concrete) and a old piece of wood.
Remove the sump. Pinch the wife's oven tray when she is out shopping, drill some holes in it and bolt it to the car jack. Fill oven tray with some wet concrete and put a plastic shopping bag over it. Press the sump into it to make a mold. Replace sump, jack up the oven tray with now dry concrete mold. Undo engine mount bolts, lower jack and shuffle bike to the side. Is very helpful for getting the motor back in too .
Make sure you practice the "blank face look" when wife asks where oven tray has gone. Don't worry, she will know where to get another one - wives know these things

Thanks guys. I'll probably go the wooden dolly as I have few more engines that needs remove, install or rebuild.

post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocon View Post
Just don't get discouraged.....when time and money start to get tight just roll it back where it was and it will be there ready when you are. It has waited this long after all!!!

Keep up the progress.
Thanks motocon. As of now, I can borrow money from my Treasury department (aka wife) as our son (17, 18 this year) is the one interested in riding the motorcycle. At the same time, my boy is helping me with this resurrection, both physically and financially (he have more money then I do). I can probably put it together without him paying for the parts, but I just wanted to teach him how much it will cost when you break something and how hard to fix it. Also, to have him see how much he can save by doing something simple himself vs taking it to the stealership, or any other mechanic/garage.

Just yesterday, he actually saw his bike (82' KZ750 under our house. Frame, swingarm assy, front fork assy, gas tank, seat and whole other stuff) and he is stoke to get the bike out. He probably knows that once this project is finish, one of the bike will be his and will go out riding together.

In any case, I will do my best to keep up the progress.

One thing guys. It will be long time before I do this, but should I post the progress of the KZ rebuilt here too or should I post it on other place, such as General Discussion? Well, I have lots of time before this anyway, so I'll do my best for my 7 as of now.

post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:34 PM
RRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugilite View Post

badass.,......seriously

ZX7RR WSB: Factory motor, Factory swinger, Ohlins WSB forks, Yanagawa carbon body and factory tank, etc etc

Muzzy Race Raptor
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 06:25 PM

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Garage
This will be a sexy beast again. I have faith in you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him --- better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

My Turbo ZX12R Build:
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12...ave-today.html

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...r-real-m1.html

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...-m1-naked.html
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks 2fat. She was my love, at first sight (From GPz and GPX, who wouldn't fall in love with this one?) so sexy in my eyes for sure. Beast, Hmmmmm.................

BTW, does anyone know the name of gold color Kawasaki used for the caliper and front disk? Trying to find the correct, if not close enough gold shade so I can repaint the parts just in case they start to flake off during the restoration process.

post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Parts Question

Aloha Guys. Taking a breather from physical work and looking/collecting parts right now. Got my front racing stand, waiting on the rear to come in. As soon as the rear one comes in, I'm gonna start the tear-down again as my bike desperately needs new tires.

Anyway, Have few question on the parts I'm looking/in search for. I did some light search on the web and this site, but couldn't find answer I was looking for. maybe I used wrong word/phrase for a search.

1. What's the different between H1 and H2 exhaust? basically, I know H1 is 4-2-1 and H2 is simple 4-1. Me personally, I like 4-1 pipe, and I know I have to disconnect the pipe on every oil change, but but does the H2 pipe fit on H1 without any mod?

2. I need rubber band that holds the coolant reservoir. I know it's discontinued on H models, but is there any other model uses this? If not, can someone point me to different option? I can think of any right now.

3. Maybe I was dreaming, but I once saw a revalving kit for H model cartridge fork but I can't seems to find where I saw it. Anybody know where I can find this? Maybe I was looking at different model kit, or maybe I was really dreaming.

4. What's the latest on street tires? I been away from the cycle world so long, I really don't know which one to choose. My days back in 89, GSX-R and H1 was only thing that was running with that wide of a tire so choices were limited and easy. I'm looking for all-rounder, with wet-condition in mind as I'll be riding on street mostly.

I didn't want to start a new post, so I hope I can get some help here.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page