suspension settings : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-7R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 2001 zx7r

suspension settings

01 zx7r.. just got bike and rear suspension is very very stiff.. i noticed the adjuster on the rear shock but wasnt sure where to set it at.. im 5'11 and 150 lbs. thanks
zx7rdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 08 zx6r

i have a similar question. only i have a 08 zx6r. i noticed that it has a air valve stem and a turn dial. which should i use to adjust it
Old 12-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Generally speaking, the stiffer your suspension is set up, the better the handling and the worse the comfort, up to a point. The trick is to find settings you can live with comfort-wise that give you the stiffness you need handling-wise according to the type of riding you do. These settings are almost as subjective and personal as what exhaust sounds best or what paint it prettiest. Factory suspension has improved a lot in recent years, but the addition of aftermarket pieces can make a world of difference. The true function of suspension is to keep the tires in contact with the pavement while not letting the basic geometry of the chassis get too out of shape. Check out threads and articles on setting the static sag, which is the amount the suspension compresses with the weight of the bike and your body on the wheels. This will give you a good starting point from which you can adjust preload, damping and ride height, depending on the various adjustments included with your suspension. After you set the sag, make adjustments in small increments and see how they work for your riding style and the types of roads you ride. If you live in an area that has mostly straight roads, it's ridiculous to set things up stiff for twisty road handling because you'll destroy your comfortability and make riding a chore rather than a pleasure.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 2005 ZX6R

Don't mess with the valve stem on the rear shock, they are nitrogen charged.

If I were you I would let it be for a little bit. You will notice that the suspension will soften up a little bit after a little bit of riding. The suspension needs to be broken in just like the rest of the bike. It's still a good idea to get your suspension professionally setup but it will loosen up a bit on its own.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I Ride: 2003 Orange ZX7R

ZX7R Suspension setup

Take a look at this site. It has the most comprehensive setup guide as well as some specific setup this guy did for his 7R for the track. After reading you will understand while folks typically take our bikes to a professional suspension shop that will work with you to set the "entire" suspension for your unique weight and riding needs (street comfort, street aggressive, track, racing).

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr750r/

The ZX7R has one of the most adjustable "stock" suspension setups around and while aftermarket options are the best end state most would agree the stock setup is quite adjustable. Take a look and you will see. Great site in my opinion!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

2003 ZX7R
2003 Triumph Sprint ST

WERA # : Some day when I have a clue
fairing lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement