my zx7 wont start : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-7R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 96 ZX7R

my zx7 wont start

i have a 96 ZX7R and i thought i had a bad starter because sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldnt start and just make a clicking sound... the times it wouldnt start i would bang the side of the starter (figuring it had a dead spot) and then most of the time it would start right up... few days ago tried that and it wouldnt start even after banging the starter.. so today i pulled the starter out figuring it was completely dead and once it was out i hooked it up the battery with jumper cables and it spun fast and freely... so now im thinkin i dont have to spend the 80 bucks to get the starter rebuilt but i have no idea why its not starting ... any ideas?
DaveRJulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

my guess would either the clutch switch, which keeps the starter from engaging, or perhaps you have a crappy ignition switch, next time it does it, 'wiggle' the bars side to side, if it fires, one or more of you ignition was have come desoldered-fairly common- electrical circuit is just barely heavy enough to do the job, if its is taxed at all, higher wattage lamps, it softens the solder, and the connection breaks-there are security screws on the ignition/triple clamp, as well as the bottom of the ignition switch cover- take a dremel, and cut a slut into the screw top, then just unscrew.
davewaibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: 97 zx7r (p2)

cool, i dont think i have the problem...yet. but thanks for the good how to. would it be worth trying to make a slot with a hammer and chisel or would that harm the internals?
suprajztwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 2000 ZX7R

I had this problem on my 7. It was my fuel pump relay. The fuel pump turns off when you hit the ignition.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I Ride: 97 ZX7R 07 CBR1000RR

I had a problem like that on my 97 and it turned out to be the kill switch. Found out on accident actually. Took it to a shop they had it a week and it never acted up then when I went to pick it up it cranked on my first try then I hit the kill switch and it wouldnt start just had that clicking sound. The guy at the shop said they never touched the switch just used to key to turn it off. Try that a few times and see if it works. I bought a used switch on ebay for less than $30 shipped.

Good Luck!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I Ride: P-1

i actually just bought that bike off of dave and started digging into the issue.. first off, the starter is spinning its just not throwing the bendix out, second of all the only way to make the starter spin is to jump the solinoid, as in nothing happens when you hit the start button... it clicks when the clutch is in but if you hit the start button without the clutch the fuel pump starts to prime itself im guessing but either way, idk if its just the solinoid, or the starter or both... any help appreciated.
Knocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

oh, and it runs fine if pop started.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I Ride: 2005 ZX10R

Starter relay
dirty13south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

thats what im prayin for... i gotta wait a few days before i can go get one. you still think so... i mean the starter regardless will not engage the motor...just free spin
Old 08-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

well i ordered the relay. 84 bucks.. how do these fuckin bastards sleep at night. plus they dont even stock parts. so its a week or so out. such bullshit.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Take the starter off and leave the wires connected and hit the start if it spins the starter is good....
Old 08-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

i dont know how much clearer i can be about this... the STARTER TURNS BUT WILL NOT ENGAGE THE MOTOR. did every one get that this time... and dirty13 if you flip back to the first post that dave wrote.. thats been done.. the thing is i know the relay is junk because the start button WILL NOT, wait i will say it again so everyone is up to speed, WILL NOT turn the starter, the only way to turn the starter is to jump the leads. But again STILL WILL NOT ENGAGE THE MOTOR.. i dont mean to be harsh. or a dick. it just seems a couple people are having a hard time reading

but anyways i ordered the relay and i will have to wait a week or so ( i said that in the last post) to see if thats the problem.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocturnal View Post
i dont know how much clearer i can be about this... the STARTER TURNS BUT WILL NOT ENGAGE THE MOTOR. did every one get that this time... and dirty13 if you flip back to the first post that dave wrote.. thats been done.. the thing is i know the relay is junk because the start button WILL NOT, wait i will say it again so everyone is up to speed, WILL NOT turn the starter, the only way to turn the starter is to jump the leads. But again STILL WILL NOT ENGAGE THE MOTOR.. i dont mean to be harsh. or a dick. it just seems a couple people are having a hard time reading

but anyways i ordered the relay and i will have to wait a week or so ( i said that in the last post) to see if thats the problem.
OK. I had to rebuild my 96 and had to go through all wires with 3 different ohm meters to ensure everything was in working order. So I learned quite a bit about my second zx7r.
Now you state that the starter will not engage the motor. So why bother with the relay? The reason I say that is that you wrote earlier that with the clutch in it clicks. That says ALOT. See the clutch has a relay that is tied into the ignition. Ignition ON>start button>kickstand switch>Neutral gear switch> all have to be in working order for the bike to fire. Not hearing a click tells me there is a break in the circuit. Look for all these connections FIRST. With the clutch in, the click you hear is from the junction box. So that tells me that juice is getting that far......make sense?

I had to replace the small clutch reply that sits under the clutch perch itself. I would remove the little relay from the lever and open it up. You can open it. I did mine and it was worn out and corrosion set in. $34.00 is what made my bike start. Anyhow, or you can pull the lever back and press the little rod for that relay, in and out and have someone try and hit the starter button. the connection maybe worn. Just try it. Mine now will start if you pull,release,pull,release the clutch. lol. Don't know why?!
Under the r side of the rear cowl is the ignition box, cdi box. The 96-03 7r's have a small black neg that is connected to the suframe. Mine was worn and broke when I tried to remove the bolt (during the rebuild). Make sure it 's not disconnected or loose. The fact the bike runs tells me it is probably fine.
-Frank
maggioracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocturnal View Post

Can't help it if your retarded and NEED OTHERS TO TELL YOU HOW TO FIX YOUR P.O.S BIKE...... Then get up set when someone does...

Just before I said STARTER RELAY you asked if it could still be the starter...... AND as far as I can tell I'm the only one that said STARTER RELAY...

Last edited by dirty13south; 08-08-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty13south View Post
Can't help it if your retarded and NEED OTHERS TO TELL YOU HOW TO FIX YOUR P.O.S BIKE...... Then get up set when someone does...

Just before I said STARTER RELAY you asked if it could still be the starter...... AND as far as I can tell I'm the only one that said STARTER RELAY...

I know.
One thing you can do is ask your buddy if he can let you borrow his starter relay and see if it works.
Looking at the diagram in MY ZX7R repair manual, there are three wires.
White:The white one goes to the junction box to be used as the accessory wires (i.e. radar detector). It comes from the battery to the starter relay and goes to the ignition cluster on the r handlebar, and to the starter. It only has these 3 connections on the entire bike.
Yellow/Red:The yellow and red recieves the "go ahead current" directly from the junction box relay. "The click you're hearing".
Black/Yellow. This wire goes to the rest of the neg. black leads that lead to the neg. battery terminal.
So I would remove the red plug from the starter relay (the one you jumped) earlier and see it you can directly connect the battery to see if it will turn the starter.
Battery to B/Y (-) & Y/R (+). This should trip the relay and make the starter spin.
-Frank
Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Did you ever get this thing started?
-Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement