ZX6R Engine Stalling : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-6R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: ZX6R 05

Arrow ZX6R Engine Stalling

Hi ! I've been looking on the site for a few months, and I've been looking on many other zx Forums but still can't find any clues concerning my problem.

Here it is.

I have a ZX6R 2005 with a little less than 50 000 km.
At the end of summer I started to have problem with my bike. When I get caught in the traffic or on idle for a good moment, the performances of my bike starts to decline. I need to turn the gas handle much more to feel the same "normal" performance. Then the FI light start to flicker as hell and the bike stalls and re-start and stalls agains and restarts while riding (etc ... )

It's like if I'd have pushed the kill switch. When the bike stalls, all the electronics/Lights still work fine. When it's stalls the RPM goes down as I slow down because I run on the compression, then I must stop of the side of the road and wait 10-15 mins to be able to ride a few more kilometers. If I try to start the bike right after it stalled, the bike won't start.

I finally arrived at two possible hypothesis :
There is no fire or there is no gas

Actually I have changed :

- Air Filter
- Spark Plugs (4)
- Cleaned my fuel pump
- Cleaned my gas tank
- Check my cables/wire

I brought my bike to the store where I bought it and they plugged it on the computer. The guy found 3 error codes.

- Pipe
- Camshaft
- Crankshaft

They told me that an "Kawasaki Expert" would come to check my bike because they did not know what to do with my bike. What happened, happened, the "expert" never came ...

I really don't know what to do/check now. Some of my friends told me to change the fuel pump, some others told me that the ECU was the problem ...

Do you guys have any ideas ?
Ever seen this problem ?
HellCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I Ride: 04 Kawasaki ZX 636

i would change the fuel pump 1st to see if that would help, with your FI light comin on it may be sayin u have a bad fuel pump, and then maybe change the ecu out and see what happens, good luck
768-Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: 2007 Kawi 650R

I would say the fuel pump to but with the codes that came up I dont think so. Looking at the codes I would start at the pipe first see if there is a resistion. Cause with the codes that came up and what you said was going on there is a resistion that happens after the bike warms up which would cause it to stall. I can't think of a propblem that could accure in the crankshaft or the camshaft but if there is its most likey the same problem but on the intake side. and i would start there befoe a fuel pump you dont want to keep throwing parts at it trying to fix the problem that could start to cost alot. And the other thing I'm think it could be a computer problem being they need a Kawi expert.
just an idea
2002 YAmi R6 (SOLD)
Tipys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sev

I Ride: 2007 Zx6-R Red

What is your idle set at? When is the last time you had your throttle bodies synced? Are you sure it's not an injector failing???

Failed sensor? Possibly cam or crankshaft sensor - cam obviously detects the camshaft position and the crank operates in a similar manner. Exhaust sensor detects absolute manifold pressure. I'd start by checking the wiring leading to said sensors (get a service manual and a multimeter).

If any of those sensors were to fail then your bike wouldn't actually know that the engine was running while it was running, so you would get all sorts of error codes. Ran into this on a Triumph Rocket III where somehow the manifold pressure sensor hose was disconnected. Sensor always saw atmospheric pressure so it told the ECU that the bike was not running while it was running. Reconnect said hose and she ran purfect (intentional misspelling).

I'm not sure if this will be your problem, but you've already hit all the obvious stuff... that leaves the not obvious stuff.

Your service manual will tell you what the fuel pressure out of the fuel pump should be... but low fuel pressure would cause a failure at high rpm not low rpm.

Trouble shooting something like this over the internet is hellaciously tough though :(.
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I Ride: 2005 ZX6R in "makes her panties wet" red

What has been done to the bike as far as performance mod's go? To me it sounds like you have 1 or more sensors that are failing or have failed. I would look towards a MAP sensor and a cam positition sensor. Dont even know if one even exists on these bikes but with the codes that you have I would have to assume that. Let us know how you make out.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi guys, thanks for your answers.

I'll probably try to change first my fuel pump. A friend of mine who works in a ski-doo garage told me that whatever machine you are using, motorcycle, ski-doo, 4 wheels etc... one of the most common part that fails is often the fuel pump. It'll be a first great step toward a maybe successful diagnostic ... I hope !

DaveMK2, if that helps you more to understand what happens I can tell you this :
When the bike is about to stall, it's like I'd be empty of gas. I must twist the throttle much more to have the same performances and sometimes, it just don't do pretty much better. A few minutes later, it is inevitable it bugging time (stall - unstall - stall - unstall while still riding it) ! It can happen while cruising and can happen too when I ride aggressively.

Hope this helps !

Thanks again ! If you have other ideas, don't be shy ;)
Old 01-17-2008, 03:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll probably try to change first my fuel pump. A friend of mine who works in a ski-doo garage told me that whatever machine you are using, motorcycle, ski-doo, 4 wheels etc... one of the most common part that fails is often the fuel pump. It'll be a first great step toward a maybe successful diagnostic ... I hope !
But why would your fuel pump be giving you cam and crankshaft error codes? I would do what Sev suggested. Just my .02
05ZX10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

News !

I bring my bike to a tuning shop for a diagnostic. He's the only one around who has a Dyno at his shop. He puts the bike on it and made it run for hours. Finally the problem occurs and he's able to see what really happens. A few weeks later he gives me a call to tell me that the bike seems to work well because it has not happened since he cleaned the Throttle Body Position.

All right ! I go there, bring my bike home and a few days later I go out for a 2-3 hours ride ! Guess what ?! ... Got stuck on the side of the street, 20 km away from home when i was coming back home...

So I still don't have any ideas what to do with it...
Old 10-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

I Ride: 2005 ZX636C1

I had a very similar issue with my '05 636. Turned out to be the ECU. The service manual calls for the cam position sensor, crank position sensor or the ECU. The shop changed out the first two and gave it back to me. It failed while riding home after about 25 minutes. They next replaced the ECU, I've not had the problem since then.

Good luck.
john05.636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

I Ride: 2007 ZX6R,KX125

uh,guys... the "FI" light is not a "fuel injection" light. It stands for "fault indicator". I'd recommend doing what Sev said and check the sensors and wiring first. If you don't find anything, check into getting an ECU off of ebay
PCIIIUSB custom map
Jumper Mod
BMC race filter
Kawasaki velocity stacks
Driven Sprockets -1 +2
Vortex clip-ons
Vortex rearsets GP shift
Attack Performance fiberglass race body
PowerBronze DB windscreen
Ohlins ZX10 steering stabilizer 45wt oil
Hyper Co rear spring
Galfer steel braided front & rear brake lines
Shogun frame & swingarm sliders
Sato front axle sliders
Rear brake resevoir relocation
SLIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

I Ride: 07 ZX10R

I am starting to have this same stalling issue. If I rev up or down shift and clutch to a stop, the thing drops off in idle and stalls. It seems to only do it when the engine is hot. Over 180 degrees. I started having this after adding my PCIII... I have changed the preset maps back to base and still had it happen. I set it to the 0 (zero) map now. I am going to try this on the way to work today. Could the PCIII be causing fuel issues? Would a full dyno tune help fix this? Maybe a fuel pump change?

Also, I have the Ivan's servo eleminator on there, that just cuts out the FI light for the servo, not anything else right?

07 ZX10R S/E
SydWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

I Ride: ZX-6R ('08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydWays View Post
I am starting to have this same stalling issue. If I rev up or down shift and clutch to a stop, the thing drops off in idle and stalls. It seems to only do it when the engine is hot. Over 180 degrees. I started having this after adding my PCIII... I have changed the preset maps back to base and still had it happen. I set it to the 0 (zero) map now. I am going to try this on the way to work today. Could the PCIII be causing fuel issues? Would a full dyno tune help fix this? Maybe a fuel pump change?

Also, I have the Ivan's servo eleminator on there, that just cuts out the FI light for the servo, not anything else right?
Sometimes the obvious is frequently overlooked. Check your negative ground wire on your battery. Part of installing your PCIII is to slave in their negative ground and route their harness per instruction. A duplicate write up can be found on the Gixer forum and the fix was simple. Disconnect, superclean the contact lead and tighten. Electrical induction caused by modification done to the bike (like installing a PC or halo lights), not properly shielded, grounded or positioned clear and away from other wiring harnesses can cause the ECU to think its picking an erroneous signal. Follow the harness layout as specified and if you'll note, even the manufacturers will warn you of this and its up to you whether your mod is really necessary over the stock configuration. As for the original problem - always, always check your connection, right down to the source (i.e. Fuse box) and isolate before buying. Remove the tank, feeding fuel and insert a stand alone fuel bottle (Motion Pro sells an external tank for $50.00 bucks) and eliminate the fuel all together. If the external feed eliminates your problem, then its your pump. Someone asked what mods did you do if any, but I didn't see a reply. This is important because back pressure after an exhaust change can cause idle problems requiring sync'ing of the Throttle Bodies and hence, start the chain reaction of problems. "Always faithful" OIF & OEF times 2
KiMO Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

I Ride: 2007 ZX6R,KX125

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydWays View Post

check the clutch switch and battery connections
PCIIIUSB custom map
Jumper Mod
BMC race filter
Kawasaki velocity stacks
Driven Sprockets -1 +2
Vortex clip-ons
Vortex rearsets GP shift
Attack Performance fiberglass race body
PowerBronze DB windscreen
Ohlins ZX10 steering stabilizer 45wt oil
Hyper Co rear spring
Galfer steel braided front & rear brake lines
Shogun frame & swingarm sliders
Sato front axle sliders
Rear brake resevoir relocation
SLIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Bringing this threat back from its grave, I have the same problem i'm starting to think its something common with this bikes, above 180 the bikes start acting up bucking and stalling, its definitely not a fuel problem the bike revs limits at about 6800k and shoots flames like if the ignition is not working i have to stop and let it cool down so i could ride back to my house, its definitely an ignition problem of some source.. ones it stalls it wont start back up and if it does it rides like crap.. i have to let it cool down in order to ride it back. wondering if any of you guys have an update?
YFZPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

I Ride: 2008 ZX6R

No offense to anyone here, but I can't believe a shop can't tell you exactly what's wrong. Those are some pretty lame techs if they can't diagnose an intermittent stalling problem... I wouldn't let them near my bike.

Throwing parts at a problem to see if it fixes it is NOT effective troubleshooting and I'd question the abilities of a tech that thinks it is.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

I Ride: 2008 ZX6R

I had another thought about this too. I'd call out the tech. Tell him, "I realize you don't get paid for diagnostic time and diagnosing an intermittent problem can be time consuming, but do you think in the interest of customer service you could at least test the sensors mentioned in the trouble codes to see if they're within spec? You know... so my buddies and I have a reason to keep coming here for parts and service."
Old 05-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

I Ride: 2002 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaJAG View Post
I had another thought about this too. I'd call out the tech. Tell him, "I realize you don't get paid for diagnostic time and diagnosing an intermittent problem can be time consuming, but do you think in the interest of customer service you could at least test the sensors mentioned in the trouble codes to see if they're within spec? You know... so my buddies and I have a reason to keep coming here for parts and service."

thats why I do all my own work, and trouble shooting because most techs come from a tech college and dont know what they should. Start with the sensors like everyone said!!
02ZX6RRider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

my bike just starting doing this exact same thing today (07 zx10r with 7000mi).

If i have it at idle and twist the throttle a hair it stalls. Interrestingly, if I turn the bike on but don't start it, i can hear the fuel pump kick on and then off. If i twist the throttle a hair the fuel pump kicks on again like a system self check (like i just turned the bike on but didn't touch the key).
MonsterKawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

I Ride: 2006 636

Just curious , what does a new ECU cost ?
citation10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

I Ride: 08 ZX6-R

Well I dunno if this has significance or not..BUt a buddy of mine had the same issue with a dielsel pickup truck he has..I know LOL..Pickup truck not motorcycle..Gimme a sec to explain..they plugged in his truck only to get back a cam sensor code..Changed the cam sensor and viola problem fixed..never happened again ..Try it..I know this happened to a truck but the exact same issue..Truck died after a couple blocks...wait for 10 mins go again...ya never know.Then tell your tech to do his job properly like the other guys said..He should have tested the sensors or tried new ones to see if that the issue...It came up with the codes..DUH where do they get these mechanics

Last edited by shaun0169; 05-24-2009 at 12:56 PM.
shaun0169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement