Tipped over bike, now it won't start.??!!? : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-6R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tipped over bike, now it won't start.??!!?

I just bought my first bike (92 zzr600D). My nephew knocked it over in my garage, but didn't tell me for a few minutes. After I picked it up, I tried to start it, with no success. I tried it again the next day. Nothing. Now the battery is almost dead. Please somebody tell me what I need to do to get it started again.
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 08 ZX6R

how long was it on its side? just hook the battery up to a trickle charger. And give it a shot. depending on how long the bike was on it's side, the fluids probably ran to one side. Same thing happend when i was teaching my gf how to ride my ZX6R. She dropped it and since it was on the ground i showed her how to pick it up, it was on its side for about 5mins and had trouble starting afterwards. Had to wait about 10mins before it would fire up.
08 ZX6R - K&N Air Filter, PCIII + Ignition Module, Frame Sliders, Black Puig Windscreen, Intergrated Tail Lights, Kleen Mod, Fender Elim. 6000k HID's, Yoshimura Full Titanium Exhaust, -1/+2 and Speedo healer
Snakes709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Not sure if that model has one, but check the kickstand for a sensor that kills the engine if the stand is down. Also, maybe there is a tip over sensor that is preventing starting. If you get really stumped, pull a spark plug and determine if it is a spark or fuel issue.
bikebums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 04 zx636, 13' Zx10R, 02 Harley Softail Duce, 79 Custom Sportster 1200,

sidestand sensor yes, tip over sensor no... try a small small shot of ether in the airbox see if it starts on that. i could see it laying on its side flooding out and washing out the cylinders... if that don't work test your compression and spark, ... if a cylinder got washed out it won't start and could lose compression, if so ( i don't recommend doing this at all but it worked on my civic) you can try to get compression back by spraying a little bit of windex as you crank the bike over into the cylinder that has low compression. again i do not recommend doing that trick until last resort!!
zxrider432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
#1 Trouble Maker

I Ride: 2014 ZX14R

I agree you may have flooded out some cylinders but only use ether as a last resort. You may end up with other problems by using that stuff.
Did you hit the kill switch on the handlebars?
185EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

To answer a few questions; it was on its side for I think 10 minutes. Not positive I was in the house. Kill switch was turned on. Kick stand was up and kickstand sensor was out and operational.
Will it harm the engin if I keep trying to start it while the cylinders are "flooded"?
I'm pretty sure it's not a fuel problem because I smell fuel out the exhaust after trying to start it for a while.
A guy a work said that a cyclinder might me flooded but if I leave it I would be able to start it after a week? Does this sound right? Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
#1 Trouble Maker

I Ride: 2014 ZX14R

If you smell gas out the exhaust, you have a fuel problem.
When the bike was laid down, the floats never shut the fuel off since they were at an angle.
The excess fuel was in the intake and got into your cylinders.
You'll probably burn out the starter if you keep trying to start it.
Best thing to do is pull the plugs and dry off the plugs and crank it over to dry out the cylinders.
The other problem you might have is fuel in the crankcase. Only way to fix that is change the oil and filter.
185EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

I Ride: 04 zx636, 13' Zx10R, 02 Harley Softail Duce, 79 Custom Sportster 1200,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
If you smell gas out the exhaust, you have a fuel problem.
When the bike was laid down, the floats never shut the fuel off since they were at an angle.
The excess fuel was in the intake and got into your cylinders.
You'll probably burn out the starter if you keep trying to start it.
Best thing to do is pull the plugs and dry off the plugs and crank it over to dry out the cylinders.
The other problem you might have is fuel in the crankcase. Only way to fix that is change the oil and filter.
smell your oil
zxrider432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I Ride: 2008 zx-6r Lime

One trick I used to do on sleds if they were flooded is to hold the throttle wide open while trying to start it. This allows more air in which mixes with the extra gas ( if it is indeed flooded). DO NOT CONTINUOUSLY OPEN AND CLOSE THE THROTTLE. Im not sure if these bikes have an accelerator pump, but if they do it will keep squirting in more and more gas everytime you open the throttle.
ZXempey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement