Help Cylinder 1 Not Firing : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-6R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Help Cylinder 1 Not Firing

Hey guys I should of came here first to seek help but i listened to others and ended up spending lots of money which hasnt fixed my problem, so here is the problem i picked up a 03 636 the bike sounded like it was only running on 3 cynlinders but the guy said it was the vaccum line setup was incorrect so i bought some hoses and fixed the vaccum setup to the stock 03 636 it didint help then i changed the spark plugs which were black as can be and soaked with gas , still didint fix the bogging and slow low power throttle response, then another person said it was the coils which are connected to the spark plugs paid more money for new ones still didint fix the problem , it almost seems like it runs on 3 cylinders 2,3, and 4 then once u get to higher speeds/ rpms the first one kicks in maybe? so being frustrated with this problem i took the airbox off and started the bike up sounded like crap as always and then unplugged the first cylinder nothing happened plugged it back up and then unplugged number 2 and the bike almost stalled out same as with 3 and 4 so i know something is wrong with the first cylinder spakrs fly off of all the coils so i dont think its electrical , so really if anyone has some help out there please post something i can post pics of the current setup. i checked a few sensors the o2 sensor and the cam sensor both plugged up dont know if they are good or not . please help thank you
stunt bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 07 ZX6R,

Do you have a Power Commander on it? I have had one foul out on me and cause a cylinder not to run.

2011 passes at the Gap: 132 1/2
2012 passes at the Gap: 30
Tickets: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post
Now you are just being a dipshit. Never in my life have I halfassed something like that.
ksouc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

no power commander , i found out that the org 636 motor was replaced with the same 636 motor but with 5k miles on it now another guy is saying it could be the ecu....
stunt bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 07 ZX6R,

It may be?

2011 passes at the Gap: 132 1/2
2012 passes at the Gap: 30
Tickets: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post
Now you are just being a dipshit. Never in my life have I halfassed something like that.
ksouc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I Ride: 2012 Kawasaki ZX14R

I would verify that the coil control circuit is indeed bad. Place a tester or noid light on the coil power feed and ground wires and see if you get a pulse when cranking or running. If you indeed have no pulse, it could be the ECU.
ZXKawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I Ride: ZX7R 1996 P1

First thing to check is pull the coil pack off number 1 and stick a plug on the end of it . Start the engine and see if the there is any spark . If you have a good spark and you replaced the coil packs then i would do a compression check accross the four cylinders If number one is low on compression then i suspect the valves are not seating which could have been caused by over reving even though it has a rev limiter . When valves are leaking due to damage or age when you rev the bike up thru the gears they open and close so fast that it will feel like its running on four .
I would also check the valve clearences on number 1 too tight will also cause low compression .

Last edited by robzx6r; 02-23-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added more
robzx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

I Ride: 07 ZX-6R

So if you have spark on all cylinders, then the next thing I would do is check for fuel. I am not familiar with an 03 636 but if it's fuel injected, verify cyl 1 fuel injector is functioning. Attempt to listen to the injector (a clicking sound). You could use a noid light as ZX Kawi stated to test the injector as well (light should flash simulating the injector pulse). Another option would be removing the injectors and cranking her over just to see the injectors spray. If the injector doesn't spray or just drips out, replace the injector. I agree with robzx6r, definitely check the compression, cyl 1 is less than the rest, there is a valve train issue. If you have low compression in cyl 1, put a little bit of oil in the cylinder and check the compression again. If the compression raises this time, chances are you have bad piston rings. Hope this helps bro.
PC III, K&N Air Filter, Yoshimura RS-3 Muffler, MJS Performance Headers (ceramic coated), HealTech X-TRE, Kleen Air Mod, NGK Iridium Plugs, Amsoil, Supersprox Sprockets (15, 45), RK 520GKW Chain, HealTech SpeedoHealer, PP2CT, HEL SS Brake Lines, Pazzo Levers, Corbin CF Seat, DDM Tuning HIDs (6k), 9-LED City Light (white), SportBike Lites SS FE, DB Windscreen, Tire Hugger, "Ninja" Bar Ends, Frame Sliders, Fork Sliders, Rear Spools, CF Heel Guards, CF Exhaust Cover
spcclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

I Ride: 03 zx6rr

when you check for spark you have to ground the plug. (jumper the threaded part to the engine)
Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

I Ride: 2006 ZX6R 2006 ZX10R (sold) 2008 GSXR 600 (R.I.P) 2000 ZX12R(R.I.P) 2008 ZX10R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt bum View Post
no power commander , i found out that the org 636 motor was replaced with the same 636 motor but with 5k miles on it now another guy is saying it could be the ecu....
yep that is what it sounds like to me.... i had one crap out on my last zx10 did basically the samething.....go ahead and bend over unless one of the guys on here have one kawicycles usualy has a ton of parts. Did you check the classifieds?
ztaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

I Ride: 2005 zx 636

well im in the middle of trouble shooting my 2005 636. i have a couple of questions , really basic. just need to orient myself to the number one cylinder.

1. whats the best way to insure fuel is getting to the cylinders ?
a. will pouring fuel down the carbs hurt anything ?

2. will having too much oil cause the cylinders to fill or mix fuel with oil fouling the spark plugs ? ( i found my breather to have i little oil about the box and my oil catch bottle was full)

3. after draining the tank so as to send to the paint shop for a complete paint job, is there anything that needs to be done besides topping off the fuel tank and cranking till it turns over and stays running? ( im having issues keeping it running ) i think its not getting fuel or having a hard time with fuel delivery.

4. the top side of the air box where the top feed injectors are , i noticed a lilttle oil on the tips visual from inside the air box , dont think it would be a big problem wiping them off and seeing if they spray ..or do they drip ? if so i might have a fuel issue.

note : i know the # 4 plug has spark cause i pulled off the coil pack and sparked it on the frame, going to charge battery and try to do it again in order ..

can i remove the plugs and try cranking till all the crap comes out the cylinders ?

Last edited by califabricator; 02-15-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: mis print
califabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Did you ever resolve this issue or figure out the problem? I have an 05 zx6r 636 having the EXACT same issue. I would appreciate any help. I have schedule dealership to look at it in a week. Long time away and the charge too much!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement