Carbs to Fuel Injection - What year? : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-6R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 2007 zx6r

Carbs to Fuel Injection - What year?

I have a 98 Zx6r and I'm tired of having to warm it up before I go anywhere. i just want to get on and go so I am looking for a newer bike. What year were carbs replaced with Fuel injection?
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 2011 zx6r

you need to let the bike warm up regardless if its fuel injected or carbed. dosent matter.

http://www.google.com/ <<<< this is also a wonderfull tool for finding answers to questions like yours.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: 2007 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico809 View Post
you need to let the bike warm up regardless if its fuel injected or carbed. dosent matter.

http://www.google.com/ <<<< this is also a wonderfull tool for finding answers to questions like yours.
Plus, why would u be interested in getting the 1st year fuel injected bike when you can get a newer, much better bike?
jczx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 05 Red 636

well... depends on what model year you're asking about, some where FI some werent.

2003+ is when zx6r and R6 changed to FI
2001+ gsxr 600 and CBR F4i changed to FI after '00
1998+ gsxr 750 switched early to FI

the 98 zx6r is now remodelled as the zzr 600... which is still carb'd

EDIT: no matter what bike you have you're gonna have to let it warm up. I usually go start the bike and let it warm up as i put on my gear so its (at least 120*) climbing to the operating temp when I go out.
2002 GSX-R 600
2003 Ninja 250

Last edited by mig1289; 02-09-2011 at 09:16 AM.
mig1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

I Ride: '98 ZX6-R, '03 SV1000

You don't need to warm the bike up before you ride it, in fact it's counter-productive and increases engine wear.

If your bike is not rideable before it's warmed then there's something wrong - fix it.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

I Ride: 2004 zx10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
You don't need to warm the bike up before you ride it, in fact it's counter-productive and increases engine wear.

If your bike is not rideable before it's warmed then there's something wrong - fix it.
ignorance is amazing...

carb'd you have no choice to let it warm up for at least a minute.. it simply will not function unless its creeping towards mid 90's outside or youve had the bike riding prior to that...

fuel injected you can hop on and go but that doesnt mean its a good idea..

if you cant use common sense something is wrong with your brain- fix it

2004 zx10r

1990 zx-7 SOLD march 2012
90zxr750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

I Ride: matte blue 2006 zx6r 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post

You are wrong on many levels. first my 06 636 has 2700 miles on it and will stall if you try to give it much gas until it been warmed up for a minute, its bone stock and runs fantastically once above 60*f.
Carbed engines are even worse, I had a 2007 Suzuki gs500f with 1600 miles that was carbed, It had to be over 80*f just to move. And yes it was also bone stock.

Second, putting load on a cold engine WILL increase wear because the oil is too thick to properly lubricate. Plus the moving parts are sized to operate properly when warmed up and expanded to their correct size. A cold engine will have more blow-by get through the rings which will even further degrade the protective property's of the oil.

Your ignorance and stupidity have ruined my faith in the general populace. Luckily, most people on this forum are smart enough to not listen to things like that.

06 636 matte blue
jumper
K&N
ebay front and rear axle sliders
ebay no-cut frame sliders
Kleen block off
taped ram-air-frame-holes
Pinebox Screamer exhaust
44t superlite rear sprocket

Soon to come: Powercommander with custom dynotune!
Miyagi Yamasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

I Ride: 2007 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1289 View Post
well... depends on what model year you're asking about, some where FI some werent.

2003+ is when zx6r and R6 changed to FI
2001+ gsxr 600 and CBR F4i changed to FI after '00
1998+ gsxr 750 switched early to FI

the 98 zx6r is now remodelled as the zzr 600... which is still carb'd

EDIT: no matter what bike you have you're gonna have to let it warm up. I usually go start the bike and let it warm up as i put on my gear so its (at least 120*) climbing to the operating temp when I go out.
Thanks, this is what I was looking for :)

And I realize I will have to let it warm up either way but I don't have to let it sit there for 10 minutes I could theoretically just "go".
Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

I Ride: missin my ZX11D

asking SOCAL guys what warm-up times are compared to the rest of the country is different... while i was out in cali id start my bike up and it would be ready to go when my gear was on... out here it takes a few minutes longer but hell man letting it warm up is just good for it...

That guy is a dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
Big Russ is right
Sir Heavy Duty, Modern Day Warrior Whore of ZXF
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

I Ride: 05 ZX-6R aka Foxy

i let my old carbed '00 zx6r warm up till 120f before i took off and i do the same with my '05 636. if you try to ride the bike cold it doesnt drive right. it will want to stall out when you give it gas. my carbed bike was way worse but the fuel injected one still seems like it would stall too. 120 is a good range to let it warm up to.
Power Commander 3 w/ custom map
Ohlins adjustable rear suspension
GPR steering damper
Sato Rearsets
Slipper Clutch
Galfer SS brakelines
smoked euro front markers
smoked clear alternatives integrated tail
Frame Sliders and swing arm spools
Puig double bubble windscreen
Solo seat cowl

Hondakillerzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90zxr750 View Post
ignorance is amazing...

carb'd you have no choice to let it warm up for at least a minute.. it simply will not function unless its creeping towards mid 90's outside or youve had the bike riding prior to that...

Old 02-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

i always let it warm up to at least 120 before i get on.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

I Ride: 01 zx6r

my dad will crank up his carbed bike and just go. I guess you can't tell harley guys anything lol
guitarocker420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

I Ride: 2005 ZX6R C1

I was always told if you didnt let something with a motor before use bad things happen in general.
Sh4dowsJudgment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Just remember that just because the coolant is warm doesnt mean the block is.. take it easy for the first few miles
Souleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90zxr750 View Post
ignorance is amazing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyagi Yamasaki View Post
Your ignorance and stupidity have ruined my faith in the general populace. Luckily, most people on this forum are smart enough to not listen to things like that.
I live in England - it's often cold.
I'm no longer a motorcycle mechanic by trade - but I did it for a long time.
I have a '98 ZX6-R - with carbs.
It has over 120,000 miles on it, all done by me.
It's the fifth motorcycle I've done more than 100,000 miles on, one had 160,000 miles.
I know what works and what doesn't, and importantly why.

Disagree by all means with what I have to say, it's free country where you are and where I am too. Your insults cheapen your words and make fools of you both.

PS - What are your qualifications for making the comments you did?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Wait..... are you seriously trying to argue that starting up a motor and going is better for it than letting it warm up for a minute or 2? It will run extremely rich until warming up and hiting operating temperature. You are absolutely wrong if you think letting a bike idle for a few minutes adds to engine wear more than cold starting it and revving it up.
pDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

I Ride: 06 ZX600J6 (ZZR600)

carbd or fuel injected id say let it warm up at least a minute before riding away. iv usually wait til it says like 115. can u start it up and go? yes but in cold weather its more of a strain on ur oil pump and coolant (at least) to be forced to pump cold fluids through their ports so dont beat on it early in the ride and take it easy. id prefer to let the fluids flow for a little before i request any extra load on them, especially with our wet clutch systems, id prefer not to have the cold conditions of the oil affect my friction plates.
6.23.10 my back would have lost all its skin had i not worn my jacket. would have sustained multiple hand fractures had i not worn my CF gloves. but most importantly, woulda been dead from head impact to the curb had i not worn my helmet. ride safe, gear up
Moscap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

I Ride: 2003 636 / 06 10R

Warming it to 120 here too and riding easy for the first few miles. Then again it all depends on the temps. In the upper 90's its ready to rip after those few miles and it warms up a lot faster. If its in the 70's it takes a minute or two longer to warm and i take it easy for an extra couple miles. Plus dont forget your tires will be cold for a handfull of miles too so dont go tearin it up too much right off - depends on the tire too though. The idle deal is a fine line IMO. Idling for 3-5 minutes is not bad IMO with five being about the max, anything past that is not needed and yea, i believe long periods of idling is really not good for any engine, car or bike. But who the hell am i? Not a mechanic by any means. My carbed 95zx6r would take more than twice as long to warm up than my 636. Gawd it seemed to take forever. I dont think ill ever go back to carbs.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
Wait..... are you seriously trying to argue that starting up a motor and going is better for it than letting it warm up for a minute or 2? It will run extremely rich until warming up and hiting operating temperature. You are absolutely wrong if you think letting a bike idle for a few minutes adds to engine wear more than cold starting it and revving it up.
Not so. At low engine speeds the oil pressure is at it's lowest, and running it at tickover takes the very longest to reach operating temperature. No one has suggested you try for a lap time Rossi would be pleased with, ride it gently and normally until there's some heat in it, but don't leave it to warm up on the stand, that way the heating process takes the longest it can, the oil doesn't reach it's optimum temperature for the longest period and the various engine parts that are sized to fit their best when hot take the longest to reach that temperature. Cold starts cause the majority of engine wear, the best method is to get the engine up to temperature as quickly as reasonably can be done.

Warming up on the stand before riding is all deficit and no benefit.

For anyone who feels that injected machines can be ridden sooner than carbed bikes - what is it you think that fuel injection does that carbs don't do? They're both systems for metering fuel into the inlets so it will mix with air, the engine doesn't know and doesn't care how that's done. Both methods are perfectly capable of providing the mixture necessary to run at differing temperatures.
The sole difference is that one is manually operated and one is automatic - are you using it correctly? Do you even know how? Or why?
Advertisement