KAWASAKI UNLEASHES ALL-NEW NINJA(r) ZX-6R AND NINJA ZX-6RR SPORTBIKES
Leading-edge SuperSports are designed to dominate the tracks and backroads of America
While the world's top motorcycle magazine editors are still shaking their heads in amazement at the staggering performance of the NINJA(r) ZX-10R sport motorcycle, Kawasaki is unveiling two new middle-weight sportbikes that will again leave them breathless.
The 2005 NINJA ZX-6R and its racing-homologated sibling, the NINJA ZX-6RR, exemplify Kawasaki's commitment to developing the world's leading-edge sportbikes, strongly reaffirming Kawasaki as the brand of choice for hardcore sportbike enthusiasts.
Like the ZX-10R, the NINJA ZX-6R and ZX-6RR are oriented toward serious sport riding and track performance. Both feature ultra-aerodynamic bodywork with Ram Air, GP-style swingarms, under-seat exhaust systems, six-spoke wheels, petal-style disc brakes, inverted forks and powerful engines that will leave riders itching to find their local twisty highways.
With the launch of these new models, Tom Orbe, vice president, marketing and sales at Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A., reiterated that the Good Times(tm) brand is committed to making the most desirable high-performance sportbikes on the planet.
"Our message is very simple and clear: Kawasaki is back," said Orbe. "When people walk into motorcycle dealerships looking for high-performance motorcycles, the first thing they'll say is: 'Show me the Ninja sportbikes.'"
Beginning with the bodywork, the new NINJA ZX -6R and ZX-6RR are the most aerodynamically efficient sportbikes Kawasaki has ever created - even more streamlined than the leading-edge ZX-10R. Specifically, the new fairing helps to divide the air stream farther ahead of the bike; by moving the "bubble" of still air farther forward in the cockpit, the rider experiences less buffeting around the head and shoulders. The point of convergence - where the divided air streams comes together behind the rider - is critical to aerodynamic efficiency, so Kawasaki engineers designed the tail section to smoothly blend the air together while minimizing turbulence. The result is quicker roll-on acceleration and higher top speeds at the race track, as well as enhanced rider comfort and control.
The new body work also includes a ZX-10R-style central Ram Air duct and a flush-surface LED tail light, which makes the ZX-6R and ZX-6RR more visible to drivers of other vehicles. Both models also feature an aerodynamic ZX-10R-style front fender for a strong NINJA family resemblance.
From the cockpit, NINJA ZX-6R and ZX-6RR riders will notice several more leading-edge features that put these bikes at the forefront of design and performance. Foremost is the new split-seam fuel tank/airbox cover. The rear half is the actual fuel tank, designed to fit neatly between the frame spars and down behind the engine's fuel injection system, while the front half covers a new, quick-access air box. By centralizing the fuel mass near the center of the bike, chassis responsiveness is enhanced - weight transfers from turn to turn are lighter, and the chassis is exceptionally stable under acceleration and braking.
The advanced split-seam design also enabled engineers to make the airbox larger, thus enhancing engine performance. It also makes filter access quick and easy. Plus, a depression in the top of the fuel tank enables the rider to tuck in for improved aerodynamics.
The final tribute to aerodynamic efficiency is the new under-seat muffler, which gives both bikes a slim, racy look.
Exhilarating Power and Performance
No sportbike can garner mass approval on good looks alone, and here again, the NINJA ZX-6R and ZX-6RR set new standards of performance for the middle-weight class. For that, both engines include a new cylinder, new cylinder head, and 38mm oval-shaped sub-throttle valves fed by twin injectors and redesigned Ram Air.
The NINJA ZX-6R and NINJA ZX-6RR are the first middle-weight SuperSport bikes to utilize this oval-shaped sub-throttle technology. Combined with the improved Ram Air design, the ovalshaped throttle bodies increase airflow without making the fuel delivery assembly wider - intake efficiency is improved nearly 20 percent while helping to maintain a slim chassis profile.
On the NINJA ZX-6R, larger intake and exhaust valves, revised cam profiles and an exhaust valve integrated with the muffler improves low and mid-range response of the 636cc engine. The 599cc engine for the limited-production ZX-6RR also features revised and polished intake ports, new combustion chambers and larger exhaust valves for improved on-track performance.
The engine control units for both engines have more memory for controlling the exhaust valve and second set of fuel injectors. Plus, the radiators are 40mm taller and feature more-tightly packed cores for increased cooling capacity.
Both the NINJA ZX-6R and ZX-6RR feature a more durable, smoother-shifting six-speed transmissions: The ZX-6R includes a taller third gear ratio, while the ratios in the track-oriented ZX-6RR are similar to those of the 2004 racing kit transmission.
Both models feature a multi-disc wet clutch with a back-torque limiter. Designed to maximize on-track performance, the back-torque limiter helps to reduce rear-wheel hop that may occur when downshifting a high-rpm.
The matte-black aluminum frame features a shortened the wheelbase and the swingarm pivot point has been moved forward. Combined with a longer, braced aluminum swingarm, the new chassis gives the NINJA ZX-6R and ZX-6RR improved cornering performance and high-speed stability. The NINJA ZX-6RR chassis also includes a steering damper boss on the left frame rail.
The fully adjustable Showa fork delivers improved ride quality and outstanding cornering performance. At the rear, new UNI-TRAK(r) linkage ratios provide more linear action, and new shock settings improve ride quality and track performance.
The forks on the ZX-6RR include TiSiCN coating on the inner tubes to reduce stiction, and the rear shock has a revised damping valve to provide a wider range of racing settings.
Radial-mounted, four-piston front brake calipers deliver exceptional feel and performance; four independent brake pads are used - one for each piston - for more even wear and improved heat resistance. The 300mm petal-style front discs are 5.5mm thick for high heat capacity and the front brake master cylinder uses direct action for better rider feedback. Also, the caliper for the 220mm rear disc brake mounts directly to the swingarm, negating the need for an independent brake tie-rod. The NINJA ZX-6RR has the added benefit of low-expansion brake hoses for improved brake feel.
Both the NINJA ZX-6R and ZX-6RR ride on light, six-spoke wheels shod with 120/65ZR17 front and 180/55ZR17 rear tires for exceptional cornering performance.
The riding position for both bikes is also based on the NINJA ZX-10R. By pulling back the steering head assembly, the distance between the handlebars and footpegs is reduced, which provides the rider with an idealized position for performance riding. Combined with the new frame, seat and fuel tank, the rider sits "in" the bike, rather than "on" it.
The racing-style instrument panel features a bar-type LCD tachometer, digital LCD speedometer, stopwatch-style lap timer and adjustable shift indicator lamp, which includes Off, Low and Bright settings. A digital temperature gauge, clock and tripmeter are also included.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories for the 2005 NINJA ZX-6R and NINJA ZX-6RR are available through Kawasaki dealers or they can be purchased on the Internet at www.buykawasaki.com
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and sells at wholesale Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft, utility vehicles, power products and general purpose engines. These product lines are sold through a network of more than 1,500 independent retailers. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 2,400 people in the United States, with approximately 400 of them located at the Irvine, California headquarters. Kawasaki's tagline, "Let the good times roll(tm)", is recognized worldwide and the brand is aggressively carrying its heritage of power, performance, leading-edge design and exhilaration into the 21st century. Information about Kawasaki's complete line of recreational products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at www.kawasaki.com
2005 Kaw Zx6r 04 Zoom
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R
1280 x 1024
1024 x 768
800 x 600
Features and Benefits
* Designed for #1 performance on the circuit and winding roads
* Power boosting features include bigger intake and exhaust valves, new cams, and larger-area oval-shaped sub-throttles fed by dual injectors
* Exhaust valve integral with the under-seat muffler improves low- and mid-range engine performance
* Improved aerodynamics give these middle-weight SuperSports the best CdA of any NINJA to date
* Back torque limiter is standard on both models
* New frame and swingarm with revised chassis dimensions improve cornering performance
* 300mm petal-style front disc brakes with radial-mount calipers and direct-action brake master cylinder provide excellent performance and feel
* Revised riding position based on the ZX-10R lets the rider take advantage of the awesome performance
* New cylinder head design locates each pair of intake/exhaust valves farther apart for improved breathing and higher combustion efficiency
* Complementing the new head are new pistons with reshaped crowns and improved, low-friction skirt profiles
* Larger diameter intake and exhaust valves, together with new cam profiles, contribute to the new engine's enhanced performance
* Dual-injector fuel injection system uses fine atomizing injectors for the main injectors and features a set of secondary injectors located in the airbox for improved cylinder filling, crisper throttle response and higher power output
* Extremely narrow included valve angle of 25 degree allows the fitting of large valves in a compact, highly efficient combustion chamber
* Breathing passageways, one located between each pair of cylinders, contributes to effective crankcase breathing, which reduces pumping loss
* Thicker castings used for the engine cases improve engine rigidity and reduce vibration and feature improved lubrication
* The new lower case has separate mounting bosses for the oil filter and oil cooler
* New aluminum oil cooler improves cooling efficiency.
* Further performance gains were achieved by increasing the width of the oil pump while changing its drive ratio to reduce its rpm
* Deeper oil sump lowers the oil level for reduced windage losses
* The crankshaft has been strengthened to reduce flexing and now features larger diameter main journals (from 30mm to 31mm), and the crank has been re-balanced for smoother running
* Catalytic converter located at the collector helps keep emissions friendly
* New auto-fast-idle system improves starting
Features Unique to the NINJA ZX-6RR
* Polished intake ports, revised porting, new combustion chambers and larger exhaust valves, plus new racing cams, all contribute to increased performance
* To suit non-modified stock racing classes, the six-speed transmission features close ratios similar to those of the 2004 racing kit transmission
* Inner fork tubes feature a TiSiCN coating to reduce sliding friction (stiction) and improve suspension action
* Revised damping valve for the rear shock offers a wider range of settings for racing
* Steering damper boss provided on the left frame rail
* Low-expansion front brake hoses improve brake feel