New to me 1997 ZX6E - ZX Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By edlera

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: 1997 Kawasaki Ninja zx6e

New to me 1997 ZX6E

Just went and picked up this 97 zx6e with a little over 23,000 miles last night for $900. I plan on giving it all new fluids and running some sea foam through it to see if I can't freshen it up without having to pull the carbs and go through them just yet. For the most part it ran good and the transmission was good and smooth. It's missing a few nuts and bolts here and there but thats not a big deal. The two main issues are the speedometer isn't working and something is leaking on the left side of the bike. You can see the discoloration on the silver part of the frame above the foot peg. Anyone have any ideas what this could be from, and are there any other things I need to look for in particular? Thanks!

Last edited by edlera; 04-20-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 AM

I Ride: ZX14-R: Former bikes --> 2001 929RR, '04, '06 & '08 1000RR and '08 GSXR 1000

Welcome aboard ! Nice bike especially for $900 with smooth tranny too ...can't beat that !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
August 2014 & April 2015
Ride of the Month Winner
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I didn't think I should pass it up! It needs its fair share of updating, but I'm thinking most of it is just normal wear that needs to be addressed. Hopefully that's the case and I don't have to dig down too deep in her to get it where it needs to be!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:41 AM

I Ride: 1994 Kawasaki ZX7 L2

Those where good bikes. A friend of mine had a blue one a few years older, maybe a '92, nice machine.
I would consider one for two up riding with my wife that my ZX7 is a bit silly for.

Enjoy the bike!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearzy View Post
Those where good bikes. A friend of mine had a blue one a few years older, maybe a '92, nice machine.
I would consider one for two up riding with my wife that my ZX7 is a bit silly for.

Enjoy the bike!
That's exactly why I got this bike and not something sportier. My fiance will ride on the back of this no problem! Have the tank off right now, had to order a new gas cap and soak it to get the rust out of it. Looks like someone did a crappy seal job on it at some point so I might have to use something a little more on the harsh side to get that crap out. Need to get a hold of a speedometer cable, some fairing bolts, and the metal bracket that the lip on the front of the seat hooks under to keep it from moving around!
Spearzy likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Figured out the leak, its coming from a bad seal on the bottom of the tank where the fuel level float is bolted on. Now I just have to find a new seal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page