ECU Memory for B2h 636 : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-6R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy ECU Memory for B2h 636

Hi,

Well first things first, let me introduce myself - 23 year old software engineer from the UK, spends too much time and money on his bike.. rides it like it deserves.

I have a problem... I was knocked off her a while back, crash bobbins prevented most of the serious damage, and what they didn't - well the paint shop is going to fix....

Except, the exhaust (a Beowulf) silencer was crushed, and she hasn't run right since... I suspect I need to clean the air filter, and re-balance the fuel injection (all things I have to learn about) -- but I've heard that it's likely the ECU remembers how it learned to run with the Beowulf silencer on, and I need to reset it somehow... am I being taken for a ride, and encouraged to buy a PCIII - any advice would be awesome.....

I have now changed out the exhaust for a "Fuel" branded one (it was cheap on ebay!) .... cheaper even than a replacement strap for my OEM exhaust.. so I'm using this whilst I decide whats best for the bike...

Right now it wont idle properly, and when I rev her up, she takes ages to settle down - something I know is indicative of a fueling / fuel balance problem.. from my old days of riding a Thundercat

Also, I do have to change out my pistons and barrels, but thats another thread for which I'll need some advise!

- Thanks - Lee

Last edited by hambley; 12-18-2008 at 08:14 AM.
hambley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 1997 Ninja ZX-6

I think you disconnect your ECU from the battery for like 10 min then ride over 18mph for 15 or something like that. SLIDER knows for sure, but then again SLIDER knows all...
TheChad1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: 2004 Zx6r 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad1984 View Post
I think you disconnect your ECU from the battery for like 10 min then ride over 18mph for 15 or something like that. SLIDER knows for sure, but then again SLIDER knows all...

umm.... how the hell is the bike gonna run with the ECU unplugged?

I know that for cars you do what is called a capacitor discharge.... remove the battery, and then hold both battery cables together for 10-15min...
Don't know if this works on a bike though.
Cusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I Ride: 2006 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusker View Post
umm.... how the hell is the bike gonna run with the ECU unplugged?

I know that for cars you do what is called a capacitor discharge.... remove the battery, and then hold both battery cables together for 10-15min...
Don't know if this works on a bike though.
He meant unhook the battery for 10 min , then hook the battery back up and ride it .

I'm almost sure the ECU has a slow discharge cap in it , this is why it needs to be for 10 min .

I hope you get the right answer .
citation10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

I Ride: 2000 ZX7R *SOLD*

i think he meens unplug for ten min the plug back in then ride over 18 mph for 15 min or sumthing

2000 ZX7R *SOLD*

Dimitri3660@yahoo.com (Email)
LOUIEzx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

I Ride: 2004 Zx6r 636

Ahh, now that makes sense....
Cusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

I Ride: 2007 ZX6R,KX125

check for codes first. to reset the ecu, disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes. re-connect the battery. ride over 18 mph for at least 5 minutes. could very well be a loose wire or faulty sensor.
PCIIIUSB custom map
Jumper Mod
BMC race filter
Kawasaki velocity stacks
Driven Sprockets -1 +2
Vortex clip-ons
Vortex rearsets GP shift
Attack Performance fiberglass race body
PowerBronze DB windscreen
Ohlins ZX10 steering stabilizer 45wt oil
Hyper Co rear spring
Galfer steel braided front & rear brake lines
Shogun frame & swingarm sliders
Sato front axle sliders
Rear brake resevoir relocation
SLIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone... sorry I didn't get emails when you replied to my thread.... I will do now though --

I've unplugged the ECU overnight, I'm about to take her out and ride her... hope I don't find any traffic lights...

... over 18 for 15 minutes, that sounds odd.. is that to get her capacitors charged back up, or something ?
hambley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

I Ride: 2007 ZX6R,KX125

it lets the ecu reset itself. If the bike is running properly under a load, it will clear all codes and turn off the FI light. if it isn't running properly, it will trip the FI light again or put itself into "limp mode"(power/rpm restriction) The actual time it takes to run the "self diagnostic" varies. it can take 3 minutes or it can take 30 minutes.
PCIIIUSB custom map
Jumper Mod
BMC race filter
Kawasaki velocity stacks
Driven Sprockets -1 +2
Vortex clip-ons
Vortex rearsets GP shift
Attack Performance fiberglass race body
PowerBronze DB windscreen
Ohlins ZX10 steering stabilizer 45wt oil
Hyper Co rear spring
Galfer steel braided front & rear brake lines