zx-14 to BMW K1300s? : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-14 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

zx-14 to BMW K1300s?

Have always liked the BMW bikes, and Im thinking of trading in my 2008 ZX-14 on a 2011 K1300s.

Have any of you with a zx14 riden the BMW K 1300s? It looks like they are about the same size.

I havnt sat on a K series in a while, and would like a little feedback from those of you that may have.

My bike is Midnight blue 2008 with 2200 miles on it. Just kinda kills me wha my bike is now worth!!!

I would love to see about $7500 out of it.

So thanks in advance for your feedback!
silvrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 2007 ZX-14RR

I rode the K1300S

It was a lot like a detuned 14 with less power and a little more upright position. It was so close I kept the ZX14 and bought a R1200GS Adventure. Now I have a little of both worlds!!!

ZX-14 Thrashin, Oregon Grindin, Airborne Ranger Post Whore of ZXF

"Rangers Lead the Way"! Hooah
BigDave75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

The BMW will take out the 14 in the 1st 2 gears but does not have the HP to take the 14 out in upper mid range or top end.

The K13S is fun to ride and after you get off it you will wonder why every bike does not have shift assist on it.
If there is a beemer dealer near you they always have dedicated demo bikes to go play on.

For the price of the beemer and the hit you will take on the 14 it may not be economic no matter how you work it. I had thought about it also because I have a 2009 K1300GT beemer but I will not give the 14 away and it is paid for.
lytnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: zx 14

nice thread, my boy has a k12 and after seeing how comfy his bike looks i considered the k13, but i just don't think it will compare in speed for real. now if you can get the deal he got left over brand new for like 5 g's off than i think it would be worth it, but i ain't paying over 14 g's for no bike just my 2cnts. good luck with your decision buddy, keep us in the loop. i think stock to stock a k13 will pull in lower because of shaft etc... but i don't think it would pull with flies out, etc...
rear fender eliminator
d&d race pack
muzzy fan
engine ice
hpc secondary fan
puig db windshield
chrome wheels
zx14 chrome heel guards
chrome levers/chrome frame sliders
led under glow kit
ccfl headlamp halo kit/led corner bulbs/35w hid lows sargeant seat
galfer platinum brake lines
pcIII/removed secondary flies,(171hp/103 torque)
6 inch roaring toyz stretch
vortex rear sprocket/ 530 chain
ezmport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

I Ride: '14ZX 14R, '14 R1200 GS

I am watching this thread with a lot of interest. I put 24k miles on an '04 K1200 RS, I test rode a K1200 S but that was a while back and a test ride is not long enough to judge. Except to say that when I road tested the ZX 14, I was hooked before I left the parking lot.

I concur with the above comment, go to a BMW dealer, they'll give you a test ride. If it's for you, the bike should grab you. Make sure you ride your ZX to the BMW test ride.
runnerhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

I Ride: 2008 zx14

What was an 08 k1200s new? What's it worth now? I got a pretty good deal on my 08 zx in 2009. Have about 20,000 miles. For what I think it's worth now, depreciation doesn't seem too bad. What you want is what you should do. But I wanted a bike to rack up some miles. What is it about the k1300s you prefer about the zx? I couldn't be happier with mine.
phatphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

I have a friend who is big into Iron Butt and LD riding and his K1300GT left him stranded twice, once for a blown motor and once for an exploded shaft drive. I understand later models were updated and the problems he had were fixed. Still, for a machine that has made it's bones with a reputation for quality and longevity, BMW has shot itself in the foot a time or two, and I would not trust one after what I have seen. Especially considering what they get for 'em.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think you will find the best info about BMW K12/13s her.
http://www.bmwk1200s.com/ridefast.htm

Last edited by ZZR-Tom; 03-06-2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Forgot the link :(
ZZR-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi guys. Well I use to have a BMW 335i,,had a nice tune on it,,enjoyed it for three years. Always loved the quality with the BMW. I do really like my zx..I not into high speed, I would sell fifty horses off it if I could. If your into it for more than four seconds ,your over 100 mph fast! So I just kinda ride it nice and smooth. Enjoy the extra grunt from time to time..ie, passing power.

What I like about the bimmer is the shaft drive, no messing with a chain, abs , could save your ass big time! The electronic suspension,, don't have to jack with knobs to adjust it,,,which I would only Fuk up big time! I had a shop adjust mine for my weight, 270.
And the three year warrenty.

My zx has taken a hit,,about 3k since I got it new,left over in 2009. Paid 9k for it,with a full retail trade-in on my fzr 600. I think getting out of it now before its a 3500 bike might be wise. The BMW in four years will still bring about 10k? And with the quick numbers they put together , I would be at $260 a month for four years with trade. Trade in is $6200,, BMW is $17500,loaded.. they are taking off a grand off the top, and at 3.9%. No early payoff penalty. This was just a first try on the phone. I love to car shop, and hale with the best. Keeping an eye on special rates and discounts on the K bike.

My BMW in town is getting red one in April! Loaded.. they said what one dealer can do they can also. My bday is in May! You only go around once. And $260, is next to nothing a month for me to swing. I kinda like The grey BMW! This one will be red. So we shall see.

Don't get me wrong, the zx is beautiful! Midnight blue! Race rails, zero gravity touring screen. I oggle over.it in my garage every time I see it! If I fall in love with the BMW,, it might be a go!

So possibly if anyone is.in the market for A like new zx,,with 2200 miles,,,no test ride unless cash in hand ,and you have your own insurance, and sign a test ride waver,ect ect.....see what a pita selling a bike could entail! I would sell mine for $7500 today.

In the meantime,,,I will keep researching,, and wait a few weeks till the BMW arrives...again,,I could care less if its a tick slower,,,I surly don't go out racing others on bike...I just enjoy the ride!

Last edited by silvrevo; 03-06-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

I Ride: '14ZX 14R, '14 R1200 GS

Here is another good BMW forum
http://www.i-bmw.com/
runnerhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Why don't you put up a classified instead?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

I might do that if I fall in love with the k1300s,,, one should be in the local shop at the end of this Month.

I just hate the thought of having somone come test ride my bike, and crash it and get hurt,, then you a possible law suit,, ect ect ect...

Rather just trade it in.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo View Post
I might do that if I fall in love with the k1300s,,, one should be in the local shop at the end of this Month.

I just hate the thought of having somone come test ride my bike, and crash it and get hurt,, then you a possible law suit,, ect ect ect...

Rather just trade it in.
Just write out a quick release that they have to sign. Cash in hand, have to pay for the bike if any damage is caused etc... Did that with all the bikes I have sold. They don't take it personally.
jamesfs912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Whatever the reason you bought the bike for is cool. I thought my bike is fugly when I bought it. And still do! But it did everything I wanted in a bike. Looks came pretty near the bottom. It's a great bike for putting high mileage on, imo. Get it set up right, and it's one sweet ride that can be ridden for hours and hours, for any distance and most conditions. I also like BMW's. If looks is most important, many other choices are easily available. But for a do it all bike to be used, it's hard to beat the 14 for the price. And impossible at what they could be had for new.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks James,, I have been told that before.. But still selling things is a pain in the ASS!

Field phone calls, tire kickers, people dont show up,,, And if you Ebay it , then You pay thier fees.

And if they do ruin your bike,, or get killed testing a 195mph bike out,, could you imagine the civil suit you could face? Or the attorney fees you could incurr!!!!!!!! HOLLY FOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only takes one attorney to say,, that peice of paper wasnt worth blowing my nose on! Anything can happen. Not worth it to me.

I rather wheel and deal, and haggle the dealership------ thats half the fun right there. I love new car shopping... Im pretty good, because I enjoy it alot!

I was offered $6400 for my bike,, over the phone by one dealer.

If I got it sold for $7000,, which is probably at the high end.

Minus what I will lose for sales tax trade in credit which is $448.00.

Its a damn near push.

High retail for my bike is $7500. For another grand I bet you could have a brand new left over 2010.

I have my figures in line for the BMW. They are offering 3.9% now for 4 years.

They might come up with somthing better too.

I get to give the BMW a really good once over here in about 3 weeks when my local dealer gets it in.

Or I could make a 3 hour road trip and go see it anytime. Which I might also do.

If I really fall in Love with the BMW,,, and the Red color is nice,,Kinda wanting the grey,,

I will probably get it. 3 year newer bike,, 3 year warrenty,, shaft drive, abs, stability control, TMPS...

Yea Im kinda excitied!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

How about selling me your bike?

Last edited by dultimate; 03-09-2011 at 07:40 PM.
dultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

Wtf? Getting sued becouse some one ells crash your bike and getting hurt? How tha hell is that even possible?
ZZR-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

I Ride: slower than a zx14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR-Tom View Post
Wtf? Getting sued becouse some one ells crash your bike and getting hurt? How tha hell is that even possible?
I think he (OP) just really wants to nix the Kawasaki and buy the BMW. I say go for it, lots of us like any brand bike we own at the time- no worries about brand loyalty here.

I searched and couldn't find any lawsuits resulting from test ride crashes. I once sold a ZX11 to a guy and he crashed and died--- like I was responsible in some way for that?
crotchety rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Have you considered the vfr1200? Pretty sweet bike also that falls into the more toury side of sport. But both bikes still way more $ new than what 14 could be had for. The 14, IMO, is more on the sport side just a little less so than the busa. I think it's just the right fit for a sport bike that can tour with minimal issues. Shaft drive would be nice but adds weight, potential reliability issues and not as much sport. Adjustable suspension would nice also. But get the 14 dialed in and will wonder if the cost and complexity is really needed. abs would be nice, though but the 14's brakes have great feel and power. What's really nice about the 14 is that you can tune to any direction that suits. Go for a custom look. Go drag racing. Do a track day or two. Tour. Do twisties or cruise the interstates. It's does more for the price than any other. Sure, there are other bikes that top it in single or a few parameters but none cover all competently as much. What else does more for the money? Nothing.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Tom...ic your not from the good old usa..anything and everything is possible when there is money to be had!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement