Error code 21 : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-14 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Error code 21

I was riding on my 06 ZX14 last wekend and the bike just shutdown. After looking at the display it was showing F-1, after pushing in the 2 buttons I got a error code 21, I replaced the crankcase sensor and no luck. The bike still turns over but will not fire. Have any of you guys had this problem?
hillster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

codes

I'm sorry Hill-I've not had any fuel injection codes with my bike-just wanted ya to know SOMEBODY read yer post.
jollyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: 2013 Kawasaki ZX14R. Green. And 2011 ZX10 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillster View Post
I was riding on my 06 ZX14 last wekend and the bike just shutdown. After looking at the display it was showing F-1, after pushing in the 2 buttons I got a error code 21, I replaced the crankcase sensor and no luck. The bike still turns over but will not fire. Have any of you guys had this problem?

Try disconnecting the battery and then recconecting it.. It will reset the factory ecm and probably start right up..It is worth a try...The only time I got a F1 massage is when I disconnected the countershaft sensor sprocket to get a full run at the Texas Mile without the factory preset limt of 186 mph!

Good luck

<Speedy14><
Speedy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

error codes

Okay-I HADN'T had any FI codes-UNTIL just a few weeks ago.Same scenario(almost)however my bike didn't die-but the idle started hanging(almost as if the cables were damaged) then dropping mysteriously(replaced cables-still hangs(adjusted correctly).Then she wouldn't hold a steady idle.Then,she wouldn't cycle through the cold start function.Then she began to get CRAPPY gas mileage.Then she wouldn't start UNTIL I cranked open the throttle several times while turning over.Then she displayed a code 23-cam position sensor)Replaced sensor-NO DIFFERENCE.Still having starting probs(the same).Mechanic checked compression and valves-all good.Haven't heard back yet(been two days now)since he buttoned everything up and "started" to check the electrics.My thoughts-Since I replaced the sensor-and she's still throwing a code-I'm leaning more towards possible harness problems.I know finding an electrical problem can be a nightmare-he may NEVER find it.This is definitely a bummer.I'm very sad about this.Any thoughts anyone on what this might be?Never had ANY problems before this-she's at 24,200 miles right now.No flies-PCIII(checked all connections,fine)Unhooked from the harness-still same problem.Reconnected-same problem.Didn't try unhooking the battery-is it possible this may be all she needs?I did unhook the ECU from the connectors-and reconnected-she didn't act any different.If the new sensor is throwing a code-then that means what?It has to be in the line rather than the new sensor,right?The line going to the ECU?Or the ECU having a problem?If I had another ecu,then I could just hook it in and see straight out if that's causing a prob.

Last edited by jollyroger; 08-09-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I Ride: 2013 Kawasaki ZX14R. Green. And 2011 ZX10 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
Okay-I HADN'T had any FI codes-UNTIL just a few weeks ago.Same scenario(almost)however my bike didn't die-but the idle started hanging(almost as if the cables were damaged) then dropping mysteriously(replaced cables-still hangs(adjusted correctly).Then she wouldn't hold a steady idle.Then,she wouldn't cycle through the cold start function.Then she began to get CRAPPY gas mileage.Then she wouldn't start UNTIL I cranked open the throttle several times while turning over.Then she displayed a code 23-cam position sensor)Replaced sensor-NO DIFFERENCE.Still having starting probs(the same).Mechanic checked compression and valves-all good.Haven't heard back yet(been two days now)since he buttoned everything up and "started" to check the electrics.My thoughts-Since I replaced the sensor-and she's still throwing a code-I'm leaning more towards possible harness problems.I know finding an electrical problem can be a nightmare-he may NEVER find it.This is definitely a bummer.I'm very sad about this.Any thoughts anyone on what this might be?Never had ANY problems before this-she's at 24,200 miles right now.No flies-PCIII(checked all
connections,fine)Unhooked from the harness-still same problem.Reconnected-same problem.Didn't try unhooking the battery-is it possible this may be all she needs?I did unhook the ECU from the connectors-and reconnected-she didn't act any different.If the new sensor is throwing a code-then that means what?It has to be in the line rather than the new sensor,right?The line going to the ECU?Or the ECU having a problem?If I had another ecu,then I could just hook it in and see straight out if that's causing a prob.
Sounds like a bad ECM unit...Or some connection in the harness that is intermittently manifesting itself.. That is a tough one...Try unhooking the battery it did fix my problem. One time mine would exhibit some of your symptoms. Found out the positive battery connection was loose and causing all the problems... However my bike would restart and the clock etc would have to be reset... Any similar problems??
Speedy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Codes

This is what was wrong-my Muzzy timing advancer had worked loose.At least it didn't come off the shaft in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement