Is it somewhat normal for these engines to sound a bit ticky? - ZX Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 185EZ
  • 1 Post By 185EZ
  • 1 Post By JBear

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

I Ride: 06 zx14

Is it somewhat normal for these engines to sound a bit ticky?

I have an 06 zx14 that I bought about a month ago. Since it's new to me I'm always listening to the engine for noise. Just trying to figure out what is normal and was isn't. I did change to a manual chain tensioner and that completely fixed the startup rattle. That said I can hear a slight tick in the topend around 2500 RPMs. Nothing bad "most people can't hear it" but it's there. It almost sounds like when they reshimmed the valves they may of got one or two a bit on the loose side. Now that said my yamaha vmax 1200 ticks louder by far and has for the last 10 years. Also was wondering what that large piece of rubber on top the valve cover and down the side of the head is for because it was torn up pretty bad. Guessing the dealer that done the valves got a bit wild with that rubber cover. So last week I added the washers to my valve cover to stop the common oil leak "which fixed it" I just removed that thin rubber that was all messed up. Since I did that I noticed the slight tick. Is it possible that rubber cover over the engine is there to insulate the sound from the engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:23 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

The rubber cover is a heat and noise insulator and you'll hear more engine noises without it. It's main purpose is to keep the engine from heating the fuel tank. and frame/airbox. It is a little fiddly to get back in place, but if it's torn up, it should be replaced.

When the valves are adjusted properly and the throttle bodies are synched, noise will be minimal, but you must remember, there are lots of moving parts whirring and tapping around in there and it's not gonna be as quiet as an electronic watch.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
The rubber cover is a heat and noise insulator and you'll hear more engine noises without it. It's main purpose is to keep the engine from heating the fuel tank. and frame/airbox. It is a little fiddly to get back in place, but if it's torn up, it should be replaced.

When the valves are adjusted properly and the throttle bodies are synched, noise will be minimal, but you must remember, there are lots of moving parts whirring and tapping around in there and it's not gonna be as quiet as an electronic watch.
ok thanks. I kinda figured it was normal since my vmax does it also only the vmax is louder. It's pretty much one of those deals since I haven't owned the bike long i don't know what is normal and what is not. The vmax has done it forever and I never think a thing of it just because after riding it for 20 years I know it's normal. As for the rubber mat I will see if I can find one from a crashed bike or something and replace it.It did seem to get louder after I took that off. Never heard that slight tick till I took that off. other than that I love the bike. went on a bike trip Easter sunday and it ran like a champ. It does have that 2500rpm stutter at light throttle but I have heard that on other 14s as well. Tried adding fuel and removing fuel in that rpm but didn't change it much if any.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:54 AM

I Ride: 2014 ZX14R

Garage
leaning over 200 hp is sure to create some noise
get a set of these
mvvette97 likes this.

December 2011 ROTM winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by massa222000 View Post
YOU'RE F - KING AWESOME!!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:34 PM

I Ride: 'o5 Widowmaker

Hammerhead also endorses these:

http://shop.panasonic.com/audio-and-...bs1z74fH2SW3.Q

and I concur.

But yeah, Kawi's are ticky. Like a pissed off sewing machine.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:46 PM

I Ride: 2006 ZX 14 2017 ZX-10 RR

06, Welcome to the club. I dont hear much ticking, but idleing around in low gear, i think i hear the air passing through the reeds in the clean/cool air system or what ever its called.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:56 PM

I Ride: 2014 ZX14R

Garage
just do this
no tick
mvvette97 likes this.

December 2011 ROTM winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by massa222000 View Post
YOU'RE F - KING AWESOME!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:27 PM

It's a Kawasaki, they always have sounded like a coffee can full of nails rolling down a hill.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Just wasn't sure if it was normal or not. Like I said my vmax has done it for years so i could say it was normal for that bike.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXual Speeding View Post
It's a Kawasaki, they always have sounded like a coffee can full of nails rolling down a hill.
...with a whistling moose in the background. Wait, no, that's a Ford Powerstroke. NVM.
TaxmanHog likes this.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:37 AM

I Ride: 1990 Kawasaki ZX1100C1

Noisey Kawasaki's ? SURELY you must be joking !

That said, I will never forget the 1st time I saw a 1st-gen ZX-7R on a race track...it was 89' at Sebring, FL...and as I recall it was 'conservatively' modified (ie: race-wired, so signals or mirrors and taped head-lights) with stock exhaust piping & cans...

You could'nt HEAR the thing, as it blasted along the long straight...it was EERILY quiet, even at max-warp, but surprisingly-so at idle.

I swear to this day, even bone-stock early-model (1st-gen) CBR-Hurricanes or maybe even 1600 Goldwings were louder than that ZX was.

Never got to throw a leg over a Zx7...still wishing I could, but I'm happy with what I've got.

Temet Nosce
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:59 PM

So, you a Dancing With Wolves fan?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:28 AM

I Ride: 1990 Kawasaki ZX1100C1

Yup. Sure was, for quite awhile. Very perceptive...not many people catch-on that quick !

Temet Nosce
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:51 AM

The ZX7 wasn't making enough power to tick.....:) You wouldn't hear engine tick from trackside unless the engine was about to put a leg out of the bed. Only the pilot will hear it.

a short list of Kawaseikos I've had around: ZX11, ZX9, ZX14, ZX14R
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Yup. Sure was, for quite awhile. Very perceptive...not many people catch-on that quick !
Perceptive might not be the best word- we just watch a frackton of movies. DWW is excellent, saw it when it came out, and many times since.
Granted, if it had been released this year I would probably hate it, but that's because... no, never mind all that. I got it right off, lets just leave it there.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page