Changed oil and it looked silverish gold color - ZX Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

I Ride: 06 zx14

Changed oil and it looked silverish gold color

Just bought this bike. It's an 06 zx14 with 25k on it. The bike runs flawless and looks like new but I noticed in the clear site glass the oil looked kind of a dark gray colored. The dealer said it had just been serviced but not sure if I believe them. so I changed the oil and filter and the oil looked dark gray and when I moved my finger around in the pan of used oil it looked like it had a gold cast to it. to me that doesn't look normal. My old vmax the oil never turns gray, just dark like oil usually does with miles. But anyway after I changed the oil I went for a 50 mile ride and the oil still looks nice and clear tan. At first thought I thought maybe coolant but it has not lost a drop. The gray with a gold swirls in the drain pan just freaks me out. Could that be rod bearing material? The engine is quiet so far. It was so dark gray that you couldn't see the metal triangle through the site glass. Should I trade it off back to the dealer I got it from for another bike? I'm too old to be working on a bike all the time. I want to ride it and enjoy. Please let me know what you all think. thanks in advance guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 04:00 AM

I Ride: 2014 ZX-14r, 1984 Honda Sabre v65

I've never seen gray colored oil before but the interwebz says potentially aluminum breakdown/wear. Or, if the bike was a race bike and running leaded fuel, that could contribute.

Best to change it and check it often. Maybe even look at the oil pan to see if there are any metal remnants in there.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 04:35 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Aluminum is silver and bronze or brass is gold, so it sounds like s spun or seized bushing. No way to tell exactly what without tearing it down.

If the old oil was grayish, perhaps it wasn't changed regularly. Gray oil is a sign of emulsified water. When buying a used bike, always ask for service records. If they are not available, you're better off to keep looking. Good luck.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Aluminum is silver and bronze or brass is gold, so it sounds like s spun or seized bushing. No way to tell exactly what without tearing it down.

If the old oil was grayish, perhaps it wasn't changed regularly. Gray oil is a sign of emulsified water. When buying a used bike, always ask for service records. If they are not available, you're better off to keep looking. Good luck.
If it had a bad bearing wouldn't it make some noise? The engine is very quiet.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:44 PM

I think the PO just ran the bike a million miles with the same oil in it. Change it and filterand if it isn't making noise, it's as good as it's going to get. You'd know it if you had a bad bearing.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:50 PM

I Ride: 2014 ZX14R

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvvette97 View Post
The dealer said it had just been serviced but not sure if I believe them. Should I trade it off back to the dealer I got it from for another bike?
I'm too old to be working on a bike all the time.
Did the dealer give any kind of warranty? 30 days?
Hopefully you saved the oil and show it to them and never go back.
Too old to be working on bikes?
Never heard of such blasphemy

December 2011 ROTM winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by massa222000 View Post
YOU'RE F - KING AWESOME!!!

Last edited by 185EZ; 03-23-2017 at 05:12 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:02 PM

I Ride: '14 14R the BBW, 06' ZX-14 dead and gone, 84 911 Cab

Garage
If you have any old oil send it to Blackstone for analysis to see what crap is in it

If not I would ride the crap out of it for a 1000 miles quickly then send it to Blackstone. If it shows abnormal bearing material or engine metals then hire Swifty Esq. and go see the schmucks who sold it to ya

aka cruderudy
March 2015 ROTM Winner
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXual Speeding View Post
I think the PO just ran the bike a million miles with the same oil in it. Change it and filterand if it isn't making noise, it's as good as it's going to get. You'd know it if you had a bad bearing.
I changed it yesterday and rode about 40 miles. So far the new oil looks fine. I may drive it a bit more and see if it starts to change color
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
Did the dealer give any kind of warranty? 30 days?
Hopefully you saved the oil and show it to them and never go back.
Too old to be working on bikes?
Never heard of such blaspemy
I don't think I got any kind of warranty. I do have some of the old oil. I thought about cutting the old oil filter open and see if there is anything in there. I don't mind doing minor work but would rather be riding the bike and not rebuilding the engine. The older I get the less I like doing major work on them. Are these miles high for these bikes?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 04:45 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Quote:
If it had a bad bearing wouldn't it make some noise? The engine is very quiet.
I said bushing, not bearing. And no, it wouldn't necessarily be making loud noises. Most bushings will be found in the transmission and won't cause a knock or tick. If you start to have shifting problems, you know where to look.
johnboat likes this.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:53 AM

I Ride: ZX11d Current... had 1984 GPz1100

Quote:
I said bushing, not bearing. And no, it wouldn't necessarily be making loud noises. Most bushings will be found in the transmission and won't cause a knock or tick. If you start to have shifting problems, you know where to look.
I agree with HH... a bushing can be eating itself and not make noise until the result of the bad bushing pops up... and 40 miles is not enough miles/time to really tell if the new oil is doing the same thing... I would know as to whether or not I had any sort of warranty, before I rode away on it... but finding that out sooner is better than later.. I know in Texas, you have a little legal help with a dealer selling you something bad... I would go directly to the dealer and hash those unknowns out...today..before I touched the bike again... and also have them do an evaluation on it in writting so you have some leg to stand on if it fails catastrophically... Just my opinion...

good luck..

Johnny
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh ok I thought you were meaning rod bearing. So far it shifts fine.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

I contacted the dealer and told them whats up so I have to wait to hear back from them. Guessing they are going to just blow me off. If so i'm going to spread the word how they do buisness. They already messed up on my title. they sent it to my county treasure and the license must of been expired when the other owner traded it in. So I'm dealing with that as well. It was Garvis Honda in Des Moines Iowa. They have been around since I was a little kid so figured they were an ok dealer, maybe not anymore
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:11 AM

I Ride: ZX11d Current... had 1984 GPz1100

Quote:
I contacted the dealer and told them whats up so I have to wait to hear back from them. Guessing they are going to just blow me off. If so i'm going to spread the word how they do buisness. They already messed up on my title. they sent it to my county treasure and the license must of been expired when the other owner traded it in. So I'm dealing with that as well. It was Garvis Honda in Des Moines Iowa. They have been around since I was a little kid so figured they were an ok dealer, maybe not anymore
Just my opinion bruda, but I wouldn't be just blown off... people do that sort of thing to us and 80% of people will just go away when someone tells them no, or whatever... don't be part of that 80%... go to their dealership and demand whatever it is you want... the world won't hold the door open for us.. sometimes we have to kick it in... call a lawyer if you don't get satisfaction... don't just take 'No' for a answer...that is what they hope for when they say it.. most will just go away.. not me, bruda.. I WILL make it worse if need be...

good luck..take no wooden nickels..

Johnny
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
Just my opinion bruda, but I wouldn't be just blown off... people do that sort of thing to us and 80% of people will just go away when someone tells them no, or whatever... don't be part of that 80%... go to their dealership and demand whatever it is you want... the world won't hold the door open for us.. sometimes we have to kick it in... call a lawyer if you don't get satisfaction... don't just take 'No' for a answer...that is what they hope for when they say it.. most will just go away.. not me, bruda.. I WILL make it worse if need be...

good luck..take no wooden nickels..

Johnny
Yea I may have to if needed. That said I have a good friend that is a mechanic at one of their other bike shops stop over just a bit ago and had him look at the oil and listen to the bike. He said that they did NOT change the oil like they said just because of how it looked. He said he has seen oil look that way before in the shop and most of the time it is caused by clutch abuse and lots of miles on the oil. He said his trx 450r even looks that way when he changes it. So he wanted to cut the old oil filter open to have a look and it looks perfect, no shavings at all. He thinks it's caused from the clutch being slipped like you see those guys give it a big rev and pop the clutch to do wheelies. He told me to drive it another 75-100 miles and look at the oil again and if it looks like crap again then it may have a problem but if not then it's most likely ok. He is a great mechanic so I trust his advise so I'm going to drive it a bit more and see if the oil turns to crap again. He said the dealer I got it from are known for telling the customer about everything being serviced but never really do it. He knows them well because where he works "Van Wall motorsports? owns Garvis honda where I bought the bike. I'm still waiting to hear from Garvis about this but am going to take it for a drive just to see what the oil does.
johnboat likes this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Well i have another update. After sending the salesman an email about my concerns he said there was no warranty and said pretty much tuff luck. Then i lost my temper. I replied to him telling him how he lied about doing the valve check because I had one of their own company mechanics stop by to even confirm that the valve cover has never been off and how the service had not been done. I said it with more nasty words of course. Well just a bit ago I got a cal from the main company manager and he pulled the service records and he even said they did not check the valves. He claimed he knows the guy personally that had the bike before me but whatever. So because of all the bs lies and anger on my end he offered me an extended warranty. 1 2 or 3 year. I can get the 3 years for 477 with only a 25$ deductible. He said if the engine blows then all I pay is 25 bucks. He said it will cover everything on the bike other than brake pads and tires. Everything electrical and all. So I think I'm going to 477 and not have to worry for 3 years. If it blows it blows. I love the bike other than the issue with the oil. I figure with what the cost of parts and things are that for the price of under 500 bucks it's worth having the peace of mind. So looks like I will keep it for now. I figured if it bad bearings it will most likely blow within 3 years. If not then it must be ok. All said I hate being rude to people but sometimes I guess it gets their attention.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 04:20 PM

so....they just took you for another $477 after lying to you in the first place? Hmmm.....
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 07:02 PM

I Ride: '14 14R the BBW, 06' ZX-14 dead and gone, 84 911 Cab

Garage
He offering you an aftermarket plan he sells - nothing more. At best he's not adding on some $$ for his profit and I doubt he really feels you pain and is making something off thew additional deal.

I hope its all much about nothing the bike works out great for you!

I hate these crappy dealer stories, they all suck donkey ass

aka cruderudy
March 2015 ROTM Winner
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

In a way yea he took some more money but at the same time I have nothing to worry about as far as repairs. I mean one trip to the dealer for anything would cost that much. the way I see it is that if the engine blows then all it will cost me is what the plan cost. And I'm sure it would cost ALOT more than $477 for a new engine. To me that's a cheap price to pay for a peace of mind on a bike that may or may not have a problem. I mean I am stuck with this bike and I do like it so for the price of that plan I can't see how I went wrong. I mean it is an 06 with 24k on it so ya never know when something could go wrong. We all know what parts cost for these things. Now I can ride it and not worry. If the engine does have an issue I'm sure it will show in the next three years and that $477 would be a very cheap price to pay for a new engine. That's how I see it anyway.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:02 PM

Well, you may find that enforcing these extended warranties is harder than you think, if you've ever got a problem. I hope you read the fine print very carefully and even that is no guarantee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page