ZX-14-R Vs. Busa - strickly the Ergonomics/Comfort ? - Page 2 : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-14 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

I Ride: '07 ZX14 & '96 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy14 View Post
You can also purchase the Heli Riser Spacers for the handlebars that will raise the bars another 3/4 inch. * If you have the ABS model the Heli bar risers will work with no modifications to the brake front brake line. (That is what I have) The Non BS models will require a longer brake line .

I also got a set of Buell XBR12 pegs and drilled out the pin hole and retrofitted them.. (They give you another inch of leg room..)
Speedy
i was wondering where you got the Heli br risers from do you have any pics? will they work on an '07 model?

tia!
Quick - 2007 ZX14
Quickest - 1996 Camaro SS w/t56 - 8.81 @ 155mph street driven!
8SEC6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #22 (permalink)

I Ride: 2006 ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busabob View Post
To me my '08 14 is more comfy than my '00 and '02 Busas were. I liked the sensation of being "in" the Busa where you're more "on" the 14. More leg room on the 14, less bent over. I do get a lot of handlebar vibration on my 14 though?? Maybe some new grips will fix it.
There has to be a reason for the vibration through the bars. I would not put new grips on because that will just mask the problem. The ZX-14 is renowned for being an exceptionally smooth motorcycle with little or no vibration anywhere. I have done quite a few demo rides on new BMWs, Ducati's, even a Honda Goldwing and none are as smooth as my 14 (and it's an old one with 25,000 miles on it). If you have vibes through the bars, there is something wrong with the bike and you need to check it out because it could be something safety related. I had a bike once that vibrated like that and I found several loose bolts on the triple clamp assemblies.
Ninjadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 AM   #23 (permalink)

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8SEC6SPD View Post
i was wondering where you got the Heli br risers from do you have any pics? will they work on an '07 model?

tia!
Heli risers are just flat, thick plates that go under the bar bases. They'll work with your '07.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #24 (permalink)

I Ride: '14ZX 14R, '14 R1200 GS

Go to this site for bike ergonomics.

http://cycle-ergo.com
runnerhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #25 (permalink)

I bought these bar spacers for my 2007 ZX14 on ebay several years ago. They raise the bars about an inch and made the bike quite comfortable for me. They were a good quality item, and probably took all of fifteen minutes to install. I don't remember the brand name, though. sorry.

J Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #26 (permalink)

This composite photo shows the spacers installed in the left image, and without on the right. From this rider's view angle, it doesn't show the full height difference very well, but it's amazing how much difference that inch makes in rider comfort. I really like them.

Last edited by J Backlund; 11-26-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #27 (permalink)

I Ride: 09 ZX-14 Monster-2011 Mustang GT 6 Speed

I like my LSL bars.Nice and comfy and it still handles good.
Craig
43 Tooth Vortex +2 rear sprocket
-1 front sprocket
K&N air filter,Ivans Block Off Plates
LSL Bars Concours Seat
Zero Gravity tall dark shield
Competion Werkes Fender Eliminater
175 HP 104 FT LB's Tq
audioboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #28 (permalink)

I Ride: ZX14-R: Prior bikes - 2001 929RR, '04, '06 & '08 1000RR and '08 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Backlund View Post
This composite photo shows the spacers installed in the left image, and without on the right. From this rider's view angle, it doesn't show the full height difference very well, but it's amazing how much difference that inch makes in rider comfort. I really like them.

Was there any discomfort on the shoulder, arm wrist area before installing them ? or did you just installed for additional comfort to the lenght of your arms ?

The pilot position on the 14 seems pretty comfy in terms of the reach to the handlebars but I guess a bit more comfort always can help.

PS: that road in the pic is pretty awesome to open up that 14 to drink up a bit more fuel.
WillZX14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillZX14 View Post
Was there any discomfort on the shoulder, arm wrist area before installing them ? or did you just installed for additional comfort to the lenght of your arms ?

The pilot position on the 14 seems pretty comfy in terms of the reach to the handlebars but I guess a bit more comfort always can help.

PS: that road in the pic is pretty awesome to open up that 14 to drink up a bit more fuel.
Well, I'm old and fat, so according to the stereotypes it's a wonder that I ride a sportbike at all (according to all the other old and fat guys apparently self-sentenced to cruisers by ingrained pre-conceptions, big bellies and bad backs), but I never really felt that either my old Hayabusa, or current 2007 ZX14 were particularily uncomfortable, in fact, of the five motorcycles we currently own, I'm certain that with the one exception of our GL1800, I can ride the 14 further at a sitting than any of our other bikes as long as I can move along at highway speeds. With either the ZX14 or Hayabusa, my knees will eventually start to feel the relatively tight bend that the sportbikes impose on one's legs, so after many miles, a little break from that is welcome. This is not a condition restricted to sportbike riders. Years ago, we used to call it 'Beemer-knee', because the BMW motorcycles we used to own seemed to bring this 'condition' on as well, though perhaps not quite as severe or as quickly as our sportbikes might, but even so, it's still not a major problem, even with the ZX14.

Around town, with a lot of stoplight idling and slow speed clutch work, my wrists will eventually start to get uncomfortable, but that sort of riding has a bike like the ZX14 completely out of it's intended element, so You have to meet the bike halfway in situations like that and realize that you're essentially riding a racehorse in a barnyard.

Anyway, I get carried away with this stuff. Back to your question. I've lost a fair amount of weight, though still have a long way to go, but when I bought my ZX14 about two years ago, I couldn't eat a big meal and then go ride the bike, but I was well over 260 lbs at the time, so yes, I could be uncomfortable riding the bike for that reason, and the bar lifters helped. After dropping forty pounds, the 14 is downright comfortable to me. Now, I ride the thing down the highway and marvel at how much I like the general seating position. I'm 62 years old, so my experience may not even be relevent to a younger rider, but I'm left with the thought that if this bike feels good to a dinosaur like me, it should be a bit of heaven to someone half my age.

I'm pretty certain that I'd now be fine without the bar spacers, but the additional inch of bar height is nice to have, cost very little considering the small but quite effective 'improvement' they provided, and I don't feel that they detract from the sporty appearance of the bike.

I bought a new 2000 Hayabusa and rode it for three years, putting 37,000 miles on it, and liked it very much for many reasons, and my wife just bought a 2008 Hayabusa for herself last weekend. I like the 'cockpit feel' of the Hayabusa better than I do the ZX14's, but I think that the 14 may be a bit more comfortable overall than the Suzuki, but that's a very subjective call and wouldn't even be an issue to many riders.

Last edited by J Backlund; 11-27-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #30 (permalink)

I Ride: ZX14-R: Prior bikes - 2001 929RR, '04, '06 & '08 1000RR and '08 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Backlund View Post

a) stereotypes it's a wonder that I ride a sportbike at all (according to all the other old and fat guys apparently self-sentenced to cruisers by ingrained pre-conceptions, big bellies and bad backs)

b) a lot of stoplight idling and slow speed clutch work, my wrists will eventually start to get uncomfortable, but that sort of riding has a bike like the ZX14 completely out of it's intended element, so You have to meet the bike halfway in situations like that

c) I've lost a fair amount of weight, though still have a long way to go.

d) I'm 62 years old, so my experience may not even be relevent to a younger rider, but I'm left with the thought that if this bike feels good to a dinosaur like me, it should be a bit of heaven to someone half my age.

e) considering the small but quite effective 'improvement' they provided, and I don't feel that they detract from the sporty appearance of the bike.

f) putting 37,000 miles on it, and liked it

g) my knees will eventually start to feel the relatively tight bend that the sportbikes impose on one's legs, so after many miles, a little break from that is welcome.

a) oh man I couldn't stop laughing...

b) very true, with a 14, gotta keep it on the open road. I cringe when I gotta ride in the city - totally not my thing.

c) Damn that pretty good to have lost 40 lbs. Congrats on the weight loss, I'm sure your feeling a lot better on the bike.

d) Good to know that even at your age your still in the saddle pulling those miles.

e) I see that it really doesn't take away from the bike's sport look so a no brainer for me.

f) wow, some good mileage there my friend.

g) I also get the very same discomfort on the left knee after many miles of riding but as you pointed out, getting off for a rest always helps.
WillZX14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #31 (permalink)

I Ride: 2009 ZX14-R

You can't go wrong with the heli bars. It definitely masks it ride comfortable!
airforce one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement