no start with clutch held in : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-12R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

no start with clutch held in

Weird situation. Bike will not crank unless the clutch is released. It has to be about halfway released before the bike will crank. In neutral of course.

Didn't use to do this, just started. So its a PITA to have to find neutral in order to start the bike. What would cause this? Clutch lever sensor? I have no clue really, its odd. Seems like it is working backwards... wouldn't you normally have to hold a clutch in before it lets you start? like on a car?
mcarlson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 05:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

my zx12 has always started clutch out in neutral has been like that from new took a little while to get use to thats all
12uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: ZX12R

Mines the same - will only start clutch out and in neutral....though they were all like that!
Andy12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Huh... weird. Maybe the previous owner had the clutch sensor held down or something and I never noticed it and it finally popped off.?? who knows. Glad to know its working like its supposed to though.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am not sure if you solved your problem .
The bike should start in neutral and/or in any transmission position with clutch in.
The clutch switch went bad on mine and I thought it was normal until I met someone with a zx12r and noticed his started with clutch in....needless to say it was under warranty at the time and I had the switch replaced.....which went bad again in less then a year. So I removed the switch and found that it can easily be taken apart. I cleaned the contacts inside and then packed the switch with grease to keep the water out its been atleast 5 years no problems......
honestlyinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

The clutch safety switch is one of those parts that wears out prematurely since it is actually tripped every time you use the clutch to shift.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

So your saying that I should be able to start the bike if the clutch is pulled in? As well as in neutral with the clutch released?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarlson11 View Post
So your saying that I should be able to start the bike if the clutch is pulled in? As well as in neutral with the clutch released?
yes the bike will start in any position with clutch pulled in or neutral with clutch out. if it doesn't look at the clutch switch
honestlyinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

mine is doing the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestlyinsane View Post
I am not sure if you solved your problem .
The bike should start in neutral and/or in any transmission position with clutch in.
The clutch switch went bad on mine and I thought it was normal until I met someone with a zx12r and noticed his started with clutch in....needless to say it was under warranty at the time and I had the switch replaced.....which went bad again in less then a year. So I removed the switch and found that it can easily be taken apart. I cleaned the contacts inside and then packed the switch with grease to keep the water out its been atleast 5 years no problems......
My bike started doing the same thing. Then the resovoir started boiling over now. I dont think its the head gasket cause the oil is not milky. May the clutch switch be causing this?
metallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
My bike started doing the same thing. Then the resovoir started boiling over now. I dont think its the head gasket cause the oil is not milky. May the clutch switch be causing this?
Assuming you mean the coolant reservoir by your left knee then the clutch switch is really unlikely to be causing that.

You only get mayo when oil and water mix - you could have a blown head gasket pressurizing the water system without any mayo showing.

When the coolant "boils" is the engine temp showing really hot on the dash and is the rad fan running?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

my zx-6r seems like it wont start if it is in gear and the kickstand is down regardless if clutch is being held in
Old 08-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

It only took me a month but finally got around to dismantling my clutch switch to have a look...

Only took a couple of mins - it's a piece of piss to do - contacts inside were covered in oily crap, quick spray of degreaser and a wipe out with clean cloth and the job was done!

Bike now starts in gear with the clutch pulled in for the first time since i owned it!
Old 08-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy12R View Post
It only took me a month but finally got around to dismantling my clutch switch to have a look...

Only took a couple of mins - it's a piece of piss to do - contacts inside were covered in oily crap, quick spray of degreaser and a wipe out with clean cloth and the job was done!

Bike now starts in gear with the clutch pulled in for the first time since i owned it!
Hi Thanks Andy great thread I too had the same problem as you. I read your thread and waited to see what you came up with and I took my switch apart and it was so easy and the switch is so basic it now works I can start the bike in any gear with the clutch held in like it should do thanks agian Dangly
ZX12THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

I Ride: Blue 9C2, 12B4

This link is for a zx9 site but the pictures I've put up will help show you how to fix this problem on the zx12 for free.

http://www.zx-9r.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16160
yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement