Proud owner zx12r - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Proud owner zx12r

Hey guys I recently purchased a zx12r a1 it's a change from what I use to ride r1 r6 cbr600. Asyou can see I'm a experienced rider I just wanted some advice and opinion on the zx12r what's it like to own one are they expseive to maintain
My bike has 54.000 kms I
How reliable are the zx12r ?
What things should I be looking out for while owning one ?
I heard there was a few recalls regarding fuel sensor clutch basket etc ?
Problems with my bike

Fuel gauge sits in 3 bars even when it's full or empty how can I repair this ?

On cold Start it makes a few noises I will upload a cold start video so you have a better picture ?

I replaced front wheel bearings cleaned the petrol tank there was a lil rust in there
Replace front tyre spark plugs iridium ngk plugs Motul oil I'm going to do the air filters and chain and sprocket soon I'm planning to restore it and do a lil mods to it it's fairly stock and thanks you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:46 AM

Congrats. I just bought an 03 with 9k in cosmic splendor red which looks black on cloudy days and deep red metallic when sunny. Loving the bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:48 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Can anyone help me out with some of my issues with my fuel gauge not working that noise that's comes out I'm convinced it might need a valve adjustment or clutch basket needs replacing
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 05:06 AM

I Ride: 'o5 Widowmaker

Welcome! If it hasn't had a valve adjustment then it's long overdue, so it could be your noise. Hard to say with no idea what sort of noise it's actually making. I've never had a bike with a fuel gauge, so I don't know how they work but if they're anything like a car I'd assume the rust that was in your tank may indicate a stuck float or something. Sounds like it probably sat for awhile. Anywa, I think overall the ZX12 has proven to be a fairly reliable machine, but more importantly you don't see them much. I think they will come to be highly sought out by those people who aren't in the new bike market, don't want to have to taxi a big ZX14 around and aren't comfortable on an aggressive 1000 class. Post some pictures! Good luck with it.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 05:23 AM
57x

I Ride: 2014 Ninja 1000, lots of ZX7s and Z1000s

What year is your 12? The biggest issues with these are clutch baskets on 2000-2003. All the baskets suck, but the early ones really tend to break. If you can find a Muzzy basket you are way ahead.

Another known issue is a leaky valve cover. There are a couple fixes for this. Machine the cover back flat and run washers under the bolts. Do not over torque is the biggest thing.

All of them have a flat spot around 4000 RPM. A couple tuners have improved this, but something you just have to live with.

Congrats. One of my favorite bikes. I miss my 04.

Builds in Progress
K ZX7R Superbike-ish
M ZX7R Crevier Superbike - Complete
M ZX7R Russell Superbike
N ZX7RR Yanagawa-ish Superbike
Z750S Frankenstein-ish bike
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 09:59 AM

I Ride: '14 14R the BBW, 06' ZX-14 dead and gone, 84 911 Cab

Garage
One of the sexiest bikes Japan ever produced, the Black one in the pic's says it all

aka cruderudy
March 2015 ROTM Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page