ZX12R A1 will not prime HELP! - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

ZX12R A1 will not prime HELP!

I purchased my 2000 ZX12R A1 from my buddy and it was not running. The bike was laid down and the stator magneto somehow hit the stator and had some slivers of metal hanging off inside the magneto. I replaced the magneto, put a new battery in, changed the oil, and cleaned/lined the fuel tank. When I turned the key after hooking everything up the display flashed the FI light and the pump would not prime. I grounded the wire in the tail of the bike; I don't remember the code it gave but I looked it up and best I could find said it was a fuel issue. I took the bike to Powersports Plus in Albany, GA and they said the the Fuel Pump was bad because it was getting power to it but not turning on and that it needed a Gear Position Sensor (I have it but haven't installed it; I did ground neutral so it shows up). When I bought the bike the owner told me he removed the fuel pump hooked it up and it was shooting fuel out so it worked. I ordered another fuel pump and tried to install it but realized that it came from a newer model and was to big to fit in the fuel tank opening. Fortunately the pump had the same connector so I plugged everything up to see if the pump would prime and it did not (this is what leads me to think it is something telling the fuel pump not to turn on but I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IT COULD BE). I would love to be able to get this beast mobile again but the shop says $1500 to fix it (I highly doubt those issues are causing the problem) and I don't know where to look next. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 09:05 PM

I Ride: Gen 2 ZX10R

You already ruled out what I was going to suggest. Sorry. Maybe triple check your reassembly, especially connections to your wiring harness and ECU. I've heard the 12 doesn't like being low on fuel because the pump will burn out trying to keep the fuel system pressurized. Guys said just don't ride it to E, gas up as soon as it starts flashing.

K&N Filter
PCIII Muzzy Map
Fully Muzzy Exhaust
------------------------------------------------
Valve clearance - checked @ 40k mi
Pirelli Angels GT - installed @ 40.5k mi
New Chain/Sprocket - installed @ 41.1k mi
------------------------------------------------
'Let it do damage like they said it would if given chance' - Chevelle, "Mexican Sun"

I don't like tickets/ keep my speed low/ so slow they gotta ignore it - Rocko 'U.O.E.N.O.' (paraphrased)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 08:02 AM
Presidenté of Whoring

I Ride: 2002 ZX9R

Garage
Have you checked the fuses?

Presidenté of Whoring
Sir Serious Zip-Tie Lovin, Pizza Thuggin, Blue Wafflin, ZX-9 Thrashin Post Whore Of ZXF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92K1500 View Post
You win Lee.

I can't even form a response to that.
PM ME if your computer sucks!!!!!! (click here)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone thanks for the response, I guess this isn't a popular subject with everyone on the site lol. I have checked the fuses and they were all good. I will recheck all the connections tomorrow. Im thinking it might be the ecu but I don't have enough evidence to order a replacement. Thanks for the response though
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 01:53 PM

I Ride: 2000 zx12R, 1991 ZX-11 C (Sold), 1987 ZX1000R (totaled)

If the gear position sensor is missing, it might not properly 'know' that it's in actually in neutral.

The pump won't prime unless it's in neutral or unless you hold the clutch.
Try holding the clutch in and turn the key to see if it primes.

" Sir Network Makin', Multi-Quote Breakin', Jersey Shore Whore of ZXF

~~~ To speak before you think is like wiping your ass before you shit! ~~~
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvc_zx11 View Post
If the gear position sensor is missing, it might not properly 'know' that it's in actually in neutral.

The pump won't prime unless it's in neutral or unless you hold the clutch.
Try holding the clutch in and turn the key to see if it primes.
I tried holding the clutch in and nothing. I have a replacement Gear Position Sensor and I plan on installing it today so hopefully that will fix it. If not I will be back for an update lol. Thanks for the response.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 03:51 PM

I Ride: 2000 zx12R, 1991 ZX-11 C (Sold), 1987 ZX1000R (totaled)

Before you replace the entire gear position sensor, just pull it off and make sure the brass pin is installed and where it's supposed to be.

The asswipe mechanic that worked on my trans, took it out and never replaced it. I replaced the entire sensor when all I needed was the brass pin...

" Sir Network Makin', Multi-Quote Breakin', Jersey Shore Whore of ZXF

~~~ To speak before you think is like wiping your ass before you shit! ~~~
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 06:03 PM

I Ride: 2002 ZX-12R

Are your gauges doing openning swipe?
Btw you should to rectifier plug mod to avoid problems in future...kzscott on kawasakiworld is very helpful he went 240ish on his turbo zx12r very smart guy he would probably know
My beti s on ginition switch
Also tipover sensor since it went down
The power for the fuel relay and the coils comes from the engine shutoff switch. The computer provides a ground to switch the relay on. Check the voltage of the red wire at the relay with the ignition and shufoff switch in the run position. If you have no voltage at the relay, check the shutoff switch on the handle bar. If you have 12 Volts (or so) at the relay, try replacing the computer with a know good one.

2002 Passion Red zx-12r
Flush mount signals,retrofitted projectors(yes I forgot demon eyes lol)indiglo gauges, under tail and integrated taillight,gear indicator,BMC race air filter, kleen air mod, scotts dampener,14r QAthrottle, advanced ignition,Full muzzy exhaust+PCV with autotune+bonneville box going for 200mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page