Newbie ZX12R A1 23,000 miles ? - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: ZX12R A1

Newbie ZX12R A1 23,000 miles ?

Hi to everyone , I have just purchased a 12 A1 . I have only done 35 miles on it ,the return journey back from where i brought it . (U.K Wiltshire) ,but i am worried about the clutch issues with this bike ? The clutch lets out very late ,but it does not slip and engages 1st gear at a stop no problems .

Should i sort the clutch basket out now before i start riding it hard ? If i do the clutch which is the most cost effective mod ?
I can do the job myself ,but should i use a new billet basket stiffer springs ,genuine friction plates and get stack height correct ??

I will not be happy riding it around knowing that the clutch could explode at any time ,wrecking the whole motor !!! I am in the U.K ...
Cheers in advance for any advice and help Andy .........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 10:06 AM

I Ride: 'o5 Widowmaker

23K on a clutch is nothing unless it's been abused, stunted or raced. Abused it could be, but I doubt it's been raced and stunting a 12 is just silly. Unless it's been ridden hard, it probably only needs to be adjusted. People like them grabbing at different points, it can be anything from how long your fingers are to just plain personal preference. Loosen it up a whisker and see if it grabs a little sooner. If you can't adjust it into your liking, then I'd start looking deeper for problems, but I'd be surprised if you'll need to. I don't know how it's done on your model, but they all have an adjustment somewhere. Follow the cable and you'll find it.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

That is what i like to hear ! But...... both adjusters were fully out , i done the lever adjustment as soon as i got on it , but i will adjust at the cover and see what happens ?
It just seems to me that there are loads of people having, or had ,clutch problems , and i do not know the history of the bike, other than it is 15 years old and has had 7 owners including me !! Whore bike .
I think? going by what i have learnt about zx12r`s is Bullet proof motor ,with a clutch that explodes !!!! all be it ,under Hard use.
I am not the sort of chap that worries about every little rattle and slight noise , but if it is a known issue , should i sort it before it falls to bits and wrecks my motor ??

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 02:55 PM

I Ride: 'o5 Widowmaker

Absolutely you should. My productive input is a used up here. Good luck bro.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Absolutely you should. My productive input is a used up here. Good luck bro.
A very interesting and productive answer !! Thanks Bro ..........
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 05:53 PM

I Ride: 04 ZX12R The Fast Blue one! 95 zx7 The Other Fast Blue one!

The A1 are known for having the clutch baskets blowing up. It was one of the first things Kawi corrected on the B models. Some say it was only people at the track, or those who abuse there bikes, but that just is not true. All the baskets are subject. The clutches are bulletproof! If I were you, replace the basket, Muzzy or another good Billet basket. Replace clutch with stock unit. If you like a firmer leaver pull, use muzzy springs. But if your riding requires a lot of clutch pulling, do your hand a favor and go with stock springs! Welcome to the 12R family
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree70 View Post
The A1 are known for having the clutch baskets blowing up. It was one of the first things Kawi corrected on the B models. Some say it was only people at the track, or those who abuse there bikes, but that just is not true. All the baskets are subject. The clutches are bulletproof! If I were you, replace the basket, Muzzy or another good Billet basket. Replace clutch with stock unit. If you like a firmer leaver pull, use muzzy springs. But if your riding requires a lot of clutch pulling, do your hand a favor and go with stock springs! Welcome to the 12R family
Cheers mate , i will look into getting a billet basket , i am not sure of availbillity here in the U.K , or price ?
but i will do some searching !
I had a zx9r c2 a while back , but this 12 is so much more fun ,LOVE it !!!!
Thanks for your input Andy .....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 04:53 AM

I Ride: ZX14-R: Former bikes --> 2001 929RR, '04, '06 & '08 1000RR and '08 GSXR 1000

Welcome to the club. Ride safe !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
August 2014 & April 2015
Ride of the Month Winner
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 05:26 AM

The A1 has the rawest power delivery of all the 12R models. Learn your bike well before you really dig in, if not she will hurt'cha. You will come to see what all the rest know, the ZX12R is one of the best motorcycles ever built! Any other info you need to know just ask. Post some pics of your progress.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 05:31 AM

kayos how did you make out?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

The clutch was adjusted all wrong , well for me anyway , so i have re-adjusted it , and it is o.k now .
The bike is great ! i put on some new pirelle Angel tyers 190/50 120/70 and it feels a lot safer now ! it had squared off soft compound pirelli`s on it before ,which were very slippery ,more so on our cold wet roads here in the U.K .

I LOVE the torque and clean spread of power ,i have ordered a new top yolk so that i can pick what handle bars best suits my shagged out body !!, and some adjustable foot rest so that i can make it a bit more comfy for my knackered up leg/knee .

I will look into doing the clutch in the near future ,and avoid drag racing until it is done .....
I will try and post pictures up , BUT i seem to have issues when it comes to posting pictures , i have a photo bucket account and will keep trying ....Andy
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 10:55 AM

Happy to see the ECONOMICAL solution. Enjoy your machine, treat her right and she love you long time!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree70 View Post
Happy to see the ECONOMICAL solution. Enjoy your machine, treat her right and she love you long time!
Hi all , i thought i would update on my progress with the 12 ,,,
I took it to Tim blakemore Racing,Bristol, a couple of weeks ago , he done a quick dyno run just to check things out , lean at lower revs but rich everywhere else ,and he said it is safe , 160 bhp 84 lbs torque , a bit low but he said about right for a standard one , nothing to worry about !

So next is full titainium Akraprovic managed to get one second hand , and then back to tim`s for a power commander and set it all up properly ....

It will not be done for 3 weeks , until he has moved into his new premises ,but i will post and update when complete . Great bike , i have been messing with the gearing , 16 tooth front , but it is a bit flippy !!!! so i am going to put on a 17 tooth front and a 48 rear to reduce rub on the s/arm sliders ! and see how that performs !!? LOVE IT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page