suspension mod - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

suspension mod

ok so I have seen and read of people putting a spacer undr the rear shock and stating it helps the turn in on the bike, I have also seen where they drop the front forks 3mm to achieve the same thing, if you have done one or the other please explain why and what you noticed afterwards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 04:53 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

On my ZX-14 (very similar to ZX-12R, chassis-wise) the stock fork height is 3/4" above the top clamp to the fork cap/tube junction line. I have mine set at 1 1/4" (1/2" higher than stock) lowering the front end by 1/2"

This makes initial turn-in easier and does not affect stability as far as I can tell. I have also been running a /55 rear tire, which is 5mm taller than the stock /50 and this also helps the big whale flop into a turn and hold a line easier when accelerating out of a turn because it negates the tendency to stand up under power.

No clue as to some sort of "spacer" under the rear shock since the bottom mount is an "eye" and the top mount is a clevis, but adjustable suspension links or a shock with a ride-height adjustment could also alter the steering geometry.

My advice; baby steps. If you are going to change anything, change one thing at a time and see if you can tell a difference before you change anything else.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

on the 12 where the shock attach's that piece bolts out and read where guys put a 5mm spacer I think size was and it slightly raised the rear changing the pitch of the bike for the easier turn in, I already have a 190-55r17 on the rear, will probably drop the forks down slightly and play with that as it will be easier then the rear shock part. hammerhead didn't you have a zx11 ?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 05:25 PM

I had a ZZR 1200, again very similar. I also had the tubes slid up in that one to quicken the steering. Still not clear on shimming the shock mount, but it sounds a little iffy in any case. Most people use the adjustable links to lower the rear, but there's no reason why they couldn't be used to raise it a little bit.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:18 PM

I Ride: ZX12, ZX14, C 14, Yamaha Raider, Triumph Trophy

The 5 mm shim is used on the Honda CBRXX. I wonder if someone has confused things and made a suggestion based on that?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:34 PM
57x

I Ride: 2014 Ninja 1000, lots of ZX7s and Z1000s

I put a penske on my 12 and raised the rear about 10mm. I raised the forks up into the triple 15mm. The front was a bit too much. I was going to lower it to 12mm to slow the turn in a bit.

Builds in Progress
K ZX7R Superbike-ish
M ZX7R Crevier Superbike - Complete
M ZX7R Russell Superbike
N ZX7RR Yanagawa-ish Superbike
Z750S Frankenstein-ish bike
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:00 PM

I know some aftermarket shocks come with threaded ride-height adjustments, but I can't see how you could shim a clevis for length. All the KHI shocks I have sen have a clevis on the lower end of the unit and on the upper attachment. No way you could change the length with a shim.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:45 PM
57x

I Ride: 2014 Ninja 1000, lots of ZX7s and Z1000s

The upper clevis mount has a threaded stud adapter to go through the frame. You can put a spacer washer between the shock and the frame mount. Not a lot of room but you can get 10-15mm and still be safe.

Builds in Progress
K ZX7R Superbike-ish
M ZX7R Crevier Superbike - Complete
M ZX7R Russell Superbike
N ZX7RR Yanagawa-ish Superbike
Z750S Frankenstein-ish bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page