History lesson - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

History lesson

Can someone give me a history lesson on the ZX 1200 C3.
Is this one of the early ZX1200's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 11:59 PM

I Ride: 06zx14,06zx14

The zx1200or zzr1200 was produced from 2002 to 2005 based on the zx11. The c3 model is 2004 the 3rd year for it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 03:49 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

The ZZR 1200 was originally intended to be a Europe-only model, made to compete with BMW in the Sport-Touring market. When US dealers got a chance to sample it, they urged KHI to import it here and sales pushed production numbers upwards as it became a world model.

Besides upping displacement from the ZX-11, the machine also had other updates such as a larger front fairing, two oil pumps, two fuel pumps and a stronger rear subframe to enable mounting of factory-sourced Givi hard saddlebags. Later models ('04 and '05) added front suspension adjustability. Rear suspension and swingarm were sourced from early ZX-12Rs. Despite producing more BHP than the 11, the 12 was a few mph down on top speed mostly due to the larger front profile. Many owners have gotten over 100,000 miles out of their ZZR 1200s.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

This is what I'm looking at http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=787303977
I was wondering if it would make a good friend for my 1100 D3
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 01:50 PM

Looks to be missing the lower cowling and is painted a non-stock color. Odo reading is quite low, which is good if it's real. If the motor sounds good and there's no apparent crash damage, it would make a nice machine. The missing cowling can be sourced if you want and parts are readily available.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Is it the same basic motor/frame as the 11?
I presume with 2 oil pumps it won't suffer from the #3 issue?
Am I likely to be playing the carb cleaning game again :-)
Interesting what you say about it being a non-stock colour!
Any other common faults to look out for?
Thanks!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 04:55 AM

Some first year models were affected with porous cylinder head castings, but no issues on the '04. Also there were some production runs that had slightly soft surface treatment on the cam lobes, leading to spalling, but no one has ever had any sort of failure related to that. Some say it just gives the oil more places to hang on the lobes.

The paint job could be indicative of crash damage, but the bike in the pic has exposed frame siderails and this is where severe crash damage would manifest with a punched-in area where someone has placed frame sliders. If you buy it, remove those and get some proper crash bobbins which mount to the front of the motor, not to the most vulnerable part of the frame.

There are no 3rd thrown rod issues with the ZZR 12 motor. Although the architecture is the same as the 11, it's a more robust unit. Run the occasional jar of Techroline in the fuel tank and you won't have any carb issues. Most common carb problems come from amateur tech fiddling leading to torn vacuum diaphragms, missconnected vacuum lines and stuck floats. Many owners install the "poor man's jet kit" which is one or two .020" washers under the needle clips, raising the needles slightly. At some point, the rubber o-rings that isolate the main jet may fail, but the fix is easy and cheap. In places where there's no ethanol in the fuel this is less of an issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page