Drag racing advice!! ZX12R! - ZX Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: N.B Canada

Posts: 5
Drag racing advice!! ZX12R!

I started riding last year and I finally stepped on the drag strip yesterday for the very first time. I ran 10.75 @ 138.5mph on my first pass and my best pass of the day was 10.588 @ 136.7mph. But im convinced the bike will run better since my launches were far from being perfect.

-Here is my question, how good will a bone stock ZX12R run at its full potential?

-And at what RPM's do you guys launch at? I was holding my rpm's steady in-between 3-4k... I personally think my biggest problem is letting the clutch go and get on the gas quick. I was pretty sloppy and im sure I lost time there.

-Also I was revving the bike all the way very near its 12500rpm red line in second and third gear. Some guy told me that I should have shifted early. He said that with my stock header power drops quickly at higher engine speeds. Is this true? Advice and tips would be greatly appreciated guys!

My 12R is pretty much stock except for K&N air filters and a Yoshi Slip on exhaust! (Stock header)

Last edited by RushAddict; 08-24-2014 at 02:01 PM.
RushAddict is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Member
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Ontario Canada

Posts: 58
More details would assist; how much do you weigh? Gearing? Lowered? Rear tire pressure? What was your 60' and 880' etc?
chavcat is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: N.B Canada

Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavcat View Post
More details would assist; how much do you weigh? Gearing? Lowered? Rear tire pressure? What was your 60' and 880' etc?

I weight 175, the bike has stock gearing, stock height and I was running 38psi in the back. Bike is pretty much bone stock.

Here's the info..!
Reaction time --> 0.764
60' --> 1.94
330' --> 4.80
594' --> 6.63
660' --> 7.04 @ 110.20mph
990' --> 8.90
1320' --> 10.579 @ 136.5mph

I think my launch is my biggest problem! I need to practice for sure. Would gearing help a little?
RushAddict is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
zx996's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
From: new brunswick canada
I Ride: 06zx14,06zx14

Posts: 382
Pretty sure I saw you there yesterday, went by on the 14 with saddle bags. Thats pretty good for first time. Mph seems low. My 2000zx12 with full muzzy and -1 front sprocket ran 1.7s sixty foot 10.1s @143or44 I'm 200lbs. Ran best of 1.76 60ft 9.95@146 in good air. Maybe try a strap.
zx996 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Member
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Ontario Canada

Posts: 58
Gearing would really help; use a 17 front. Add a front strap and lowering links. Consider a steering damper, filters. I gather you already have a billet hub?
PM sent
chavcat is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: N.B Canada

Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx996 View Post
Pretty sure I saw you there yesterday, went by on the 14 with saddle bags. Thats pretty good for first time. Mph seems low. My 2000zx12 with full muzzy and -1 front sprocket ran 1.7s sixty foot 10.1s @143or44 I'm 200lbs. Ran best of 1.76 60ft 9.95@146 in good air. Maybe try a strap.
Those are really good times! Yes I was down in Miramichi Saturday. I was the one with the black bike. I think I saw you also when you were leaving! It was an awesome day, beautiful weather!

Did you have a flat spot in the lower rpm's with your full muzzy? Some people told me it can be pretty bad in some cases! Cheapest exhaust though, and it sounds nasty!! What does a strap do exactly? Does it lower the front by compressing the forks? I'm definatly going to try a 17 tooth front sprocket! Thanks for your reply!!
RushAddict is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: N.B Canada

Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavcat View Post
Gearing would really help; use a 17 front. Add a front strap and lowering links. Consider a steering damper, filters. I gather you already have a billet hub?
PM sent
My clutch/basket/hub are all stock I believe! Would you recommend upgrading? And im figuring lowering links are for the rear? Definatly getting a 17 tooth sprocket, but will the stock chain still fit? Sorry for all the questions im really new to all this! Thanks for your reply guys!!
RushAddict is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Senior Member
 
2fat2fly's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: Ohio
I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Posts: 5,915
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushAddict View Post
My clutch/basket/hub are all stock I believe! Would you recommend upgrading? And im figuring lowering links are for the rear? Definatly getting a 17 tooth sprocket, but will the stock chain still fit? Sorry for all the questions im really new to all this! Thanks for your reply guys!!
Start looking for a billet clutch basket now. The 2002's had an upgraded basket as compared to the 2000-01 and it will hold up to some abuse but don't expect it to live forever. Lowering links are for the rear. The stock chain will fit a 17 tooth sprocket. Stock is 18.

Read my ZX12 build thread. I cover pretty much all this stuff in it.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him --- better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

My Turbo ZX12R Build:
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12...ave-today.html

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...r-real-m1.html

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...-m1-naked.html
2fat2fly is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:30 AM
Senior Member
 
zx996's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
From: new brunswick canada
I Ride: 06zx14,06zx14

Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushAddict View Post
Those are really good times! Yes I was down in Miramichi Saturday. I was the one with the black bike. I think I saw you also when you were leaving! It was an awesome day, beautiful weather!

Did you have a flat spot in the lower rpm's with your full muzzy? Some people told me it can be pretty bad in some cases! Cheapest exhaust though, and it sounds nasty!! What does a strap do exactly? Does it lower the front by compressing the forks? I'm definatly going to try a 17 tooth front sprocket! Thanks for your reply!!
Yes it had an awful flat spot down low but it pulled hard. The strap not only lowers the front but compresses the forks. So when you launch the bike tries to pick up the front end assembly and when the forks extend kind of bounces you up. With the strap the forks stay compressed and its harder for the bike to pick up the front end. And the -1 front sprocket works great .You will love it. I do it to all my bikes.
zx996 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2006
From: CARLSBAD
I Ride: ZX-12R (SOLD!)

Posts: 37
Yup, upgrade your clutch basket...

MSF RiderCoach
NORTY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome