Fuel lights : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-11 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 1993 ZX 11 C4

Fuel lights

My fuel lights quit working so I am working with the service manual to find the issue on my 93 C model. Just curious, when they did work, there are 2 red fuel lights that both flashed when fuel got low. I assumed this was normal or were they defective when I bought it? I am thinking now that maybe one light would start flashing when low then both when you bike is telling you "hey idiot, get some gas!" If not, any reason for 2 lights over one? Thanks for all the help.
needspeed 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: '92 ZX11C (ZZR1100) 2006 ZX12R

Yeah needspeed11,
they BOTH flash when low on fuel.(really annoying at night),
I'm not sure why big "K" did that, I'd rather have NO lights and a fuel tap with reserve instead.
I took one bulb out, now the remaining one flashes twice as fast.
Have you checked the connector from the tank???? Mine would come apart IF the connectors weren't PUSHED together (locked) properly.
Good Luck
Gav
thegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: 1997 ZX11

Also check the relay under the left seat cowl near the signal light. Should be located just behind the shock reservoir.

cheers

Yugoslavia '94' , Israel/Syria '99 , Bosnia '02 , Afghanistan '08-'09
Sauceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Does the fuel lights and oil light comes "on" when you turn the ignition key to "on" (before starting the engine)?
If they don't, look no further than a bad connection (or broken wire or connector) at the oil pressure switch located under the oil pan.

If you find the relay (Sauceman explained where it is), remove it and jump the two wires togheter; the lights will be on steady instead of blinking (much less annoying). Anther improvement is to use lower wattage bulbs in the dashboard.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I Ride: 1993 ZX 11 C4

Claude,
The oil light does come on but not the fuel lights. Again, they used to but just quit. I'm guessing relay but still haven't had time to check. I will post the results when I finally get time to fix it.

Thanks to all for the advice.
needspeed 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Fuel lights

I asked a dealer once why the ZX11c models have 2 fuel lights and he said the reason was in case one bulb burnt out there would be another to warn of low fuel.
stevenzx1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

I Ride: AN AMAZING MACHINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenzx1100 View Post
I asked a dealer once why the ZX11c models have 2 fuel lights and he said the reason was in case one bulb burnt out there would be another to warn of low fuel.
thats kind of dumb of them if they was going to do that the should have put to of everything just in case the other one failed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrzxter View Post
Hold on, I'll start a thread on it and come back with what I find out...........

Last edited by MOTORMAN; 06-01-2010 at 02:40 AM.
MOTORMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement