Bleeding the clutch on ZX11 - ZX Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jetfixer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: ZX11d Current... had 1984 GPz1100

Bleeding the clutch on ZX11

Guys... last week I was out riding and out of the blue, beautiful skies above Texas, my clutch started slipping... I was like wtf....? Wasn't even pounding on it... just pud-kucking along... So, I started reading that the master cylinder can get gummed up and cause the push rod to not release all the way, made it sort of like resting your foot on the clutch peddle in a Big Block first gen Camaro with four speed... So, knowing that the m/c was low on fluid when I got it a few months ago, I decided that is probably the culprit... and it was... thing was full of what looked like Red River Mud that had dried and got wet again a dozen times... so I pulled it off the bike, cleaned it and cleaned it and cleaned it until it was clean...ish.. I also used a carb/cutting torch cleaning wire..the smallest wire on the set.. to clean out the small hole..the small wire barely fits..so, put it back on the bike, fill with DOT 4 silly-cone based fluid and began to bleed it... well, no pressure... clean fluid coming out the bleeder.. so I read some more..and more..and more... lots of ideas and suggestions.. might vac.. syringe from CVS..and so on and so on.. nothing worked, as with most people on dozen threads... ordered a rebuild kit for m/c and slave cyl figuring the spray cleaner I used eat up the seals.... so last night when I got home, I had thought about the m/c not having a bleeder and it should.. so I squeezed the clutch a couple of times...zero pressure... and cracked the line going into the m/c and could see without doubt the huge splurt of air/fluid that spewed out... instant pressure on the lever... did it a few more times for good measure, filled the reservoir with fresh fluid and VIOLA..bled clutch..

So, the moral of the story is... hell, I don't know... figure it out for yourselves...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 05:04 AM

Change your fluid and rebuild master and slave . It's over 20 yrs old.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:56 AM

I Ride: a quicker bike than you.

Garage
Before you pull the slave cylinder off the engine, order one of the Clutch Slave Cylinder Heat Insulator/Spacer from ExpensiveLightweightStuff.com
If yours is the OE part, it will probably come off in pieces. The replacement part is as cheap as the factory part and will be the last one you have to buy.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1197 View Post
Before you pull the slave cylinder off the engine, order one of the Clutch Slave Cylinder Heat Insulator/Spacer from ExpensiveLightweightStuff.com
If yours is the OE part, it will probably come off in pieces. The replacement part is as cheap as the factory part and will be the last one you have to buy.
That's good info..thanks.. Turned out I didn't have to pull the slave cyl... once I bled the air out at the Banjo fitting at the M/C, all was good... I did order rebuild kits for the m/c and the s/c as well as the front brake m/c also... I still have to install the SS brake lines on the front brakes, figured I would do the entire system while at it...clean the m/c, flush all fluids, etc... I ordered the manual cam chain tensioner from ELS and put it on...I will order the S/C part before I go back into that setup...thanks.

Johnny
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:44 PM

I Ride: 93 ZX-11, 82 CB900F, 79 XS650*SOLD*

Thats nothing, try pulling the clutch cap and see all of your brake fluid had turned to PASTE!!!!!

Happened about 2 weeks after I bought the bike. Had to flush the system a few times.

Shakhova warned that a 50-gigaton -- that is, 50-billion-ton -- "burp" of methane from thawing Arctic permafrost beneath the ESAS is "highly possible at any time."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blainethemono View Post
Thats nothing, try pulling the clutch cap and see all of your brake fluid had turned to PASTE!!!!!

Happened about 2 weeks after I bought the bike. Had to flush the system a few times.
Did you see my pics? LOL... paste would have been great... the pic is after I dumped it... was thick brown mud... took two cans of brake clean, a can of carb cleaner and a wire brush to scrub it all out.. and then still wouldn't work due to the tiny hole being plugged..had to poke it out with the smallest wire from a set of tip cleaners.. lol... I couldn't believe it was still working when I opened it up... Pulled my front brake m/c yesterday and installed my SS lines... it was remarkable clean..comparitively...had a few brown spots..but I could see the bottom.. put the new lines on and bled it.. still need to put the better pads on.. has the aftermarket organic style now... they fade quick... but it's all good now... put everything back together yesterday, so hopefully this weekend will be like last one and I can get some time in the saddle...

good luck..

Johnny
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:11 PM

I Ride: 92 ZX-11 & other non ZX-11's

Pretty common for air to get trapped in the clutch or brake master cylinders and around the line banjo fittings. Bleeder banjo bolts are great alternatives to regular banjo bolts, making the bleeding process easier/cleaner.
johnboat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page