Wiring for 89 Ninja ZX750 H1 : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > ZX Forums > Mechanical & Technical

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Wiring for 89 Ninja ZX750 H1

Hi all, I just bought an 89 ZX7 with some electrical issues. It wasn't till right after I paid for the bike that the problems started when I tried to start it to ride it home. When I pressed the start button, the small wire going to the solenoid got hot and started to smoke. I ended up putting the bike in a van and brought it home. I think someone may have used a solenoid that is for a different bike which is why some of the wires have been mickey moused. It appears that they ran their own wires from the start button up on the handlebars to the solenoid rather than going through the wiring harness. I have cut off the "added on" wires and reattached the stock green connector to the end of the wires on the start, off/run buttons, but do not see where to plug it in, I just know that it connects somewhere near the front of the bike by the length of the wires. I also do not know where the small wire for the solenoid goes, I just know that it must connect into the main wiring harness somewhere. Is there a manual or pictures on the web somewhere that would have actual pictures of these, the connectors, and where they plug into rather than just a wiring diagram? Wiring diagrams confuse me and I have a hard time trying to figure them out. I would like to ride the bike before the summer is over. thanks in advance.

Last edited by medicinalmotorcycle; 08-25-2010 at 07:54 PM.
medicinalmotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

This might help:

My ZX12R Build:
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12...ave-today.html

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...r-real-m1.html

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...-m1-naked.html
2fat2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: 2004 zx10r

damn i coulda used that diagram 6 months ago

2004 zx10r

1990 zx-7 SOLD march 2012
90zxr750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90zxr750 View Post
damn i coulda used that diagram 6 months ago
Didn't know you needed one.

My ZX12R Build:
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12...ave-today.html

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...r-real-m1.html

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...-m1-naked.html
2fat2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for posting the wiring diagram 2fat2fly, it should come in handy in the future when I learn how to read it. Am I the only one who can't read wiring diagrams? At this time, I really just need to know where the connector for the start, off/run buttons plugs into. Is it somewhere right behind the headlights or underneath the gas tank?
Old 08-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's under the gas tank. There should be 6 wires coming from the run/off switch that are attached to a green connector. That green connector plugs into the other green connector, which should be located under the gas tank.
kawa kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ok, sounds like some good info Kawa kid. I found 6 wires together under the tank coming off the wiring harness which had the connector cut off and weren't connected to anything. These must be the wires I need to connect into. If I had the connector for the harness, I could just re-attach it and connect the 2 green connectors together, but I don't. So I'm thinking about putting my own connectors on each individual wire and connecting them that way. Problem is the colors of the wires on the harness are not all the same as the colors of the wires on the start, off/run buttons, so I am not sure which wires to connect together. I looked at the wires and took some notes, here they are:

Wires on Start, Off/Run Buttons, Brake light switch:

Black w Red tracer - Start
Black w Red tracer - Start
Yellow w Red tracer - Off/Run
Red - Off/Run
Black - Brake light switch
Black - Brake light switch

Harness:

Black w Red tracer
Blue w Red tracer
Brown
Red
Red
Yellow

Any idea which wires coming from the buttons to connect to the wires on the harness?

Last edited by medicinalmotorcycle; 08-28-2010 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok,
From the harness Blue/Red tracer to Black.
From harness, black/Red tracer to Balck/Red tracer
From harness, Red to Red
From harness, Brown to Black
From harness, Yellow to Yellow/Red tracer
Old 08-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

I haven't done this yet but her is the first attempt.
http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
Old 08-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ok, thanks for the info and picture Kawa kid. I am starting to get somewhere. I touched the blue/red tracer and brown wires on the harness together to see if the brake light would come on and it did, so I am on the right path. As far as the 4 other wires for start and off/run, I haven't been able to check those because I don't have the right solenoid, I need to buy the right solenoid for the bike. I looked at the album of your bike Kawa kid and discovered that the red connector for the solenoid has also been cut off from the harness on my bike which explains what those 4 wires with no connectors I see are for. I'm not too sure I can put my own connectors on those wires for the solenoid, I guess I won't know that until I have the solenoid and can look at it. You have an extra solenoid for the '89 ZX-7 you want to sell Kawa kid?

Last edited by medicinalmotorcycle; 08-30-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Sorry, I don't.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thumbs up Ignition switch wiring...

Glad to see someone with a readable Diagram, Thank you for all the kawi ryders that have needed it. I tried to get by with a russian diagram and german one with little luck the last year until now. shortened my wire loom a ft-1/2 and revised my component placement for a saddle seat mod...

Problem is that i have had a tampered-with harness for yami controls and upgraded with HID bi-xenon and wireless keyfob, so then now i'm trying to figure the yellow wire (leading up from the killswitch) to??? Brown or white, or both (leading up from Junction box)?
By the looks of it on the German diagrams: Brown, Grey, and white, go to the key-switch... There's no grey wire in my whole engine circuit, or in the accurate one for my bike specific-to the start of this forum. I'm pretty sure the white wire switches my yellow wire for running the motor, Confused as to why brown would be on it? and if it runs through the switch to my kill-switch like the German diagram shows...

Last edited by TradeM; 12-21-2011 at 04:18 PM.
TradeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ignition switch wiring...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/igns.jpg/

ZX wont let it upload the image for the German diagram because its too big... untill thumbnail sized and unreadable.
This is the 87-90 zx750f which my bike has same motor and essentially the same electronics.
TradeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement