03 zx6r wont start, electrical issue? : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > ZX Forums > Mechanical & Technical

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

03 zx6r wont start, electrical issue?

Ive got an 03 zx-6r. One day, I was low on gas, didn't think it was completely out though. I stopped at the bank to get cash. Tried to start the bike and it wouldnt so I pushed it to the gas station in the same parking lot. Gassed up and it still didnt want to start, finally did. I assumed I just ran it dry. I went to work and it ran fine. After work, same thing, didnt wanna start but eventually did. This went on for about 5 days when it finally wouldn't start at all. I noticed my power commander lights were'nt coming on when I turned the key so I suspected a loose electrical connection. Lifted the tank, jiggled some wires, turned the key off then back on. Then all of the sudden the power commander lights came on and I started the bike right up. Drove it an hour to the beach, no problems. Upon leaving the beach, wouldnt start, jiggled the wires, started right up. I did this for about two days, then the other day, I went out to start it and nothing. Not even kiggling the wires will get it to start. Disconnected the power commander and still nothing. The FI light flashes as it's cranking. It's odd because in the passed, when it would finally start, it ran perfect. It was just the starting that was tough. Any thoughts? Your help is much appreciated, THANKS!
n8huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 06 zx-14

So all the lights come on with the key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90zxr750 View Post
But it has now changed into a thread jacked argument in a thread about not jacking thread and wasting space... that is all
06' ZX14 Candy Thunder Blue
moellermania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

The panel lights, yes. All the normal click-eeeeh-click (butterflies opening and closing) noises too. I messed with this for over an hour the other day and couldnt get it running. Another 30 minutes today with the tank off just trying to jiggle wires and get the power commander lights to come on. I know once I see those it will start, so I don't care that the tank is disconnected. Couldnt get anything on the P.C. REALLY WEIRD... I just checked to see if the headlight was coming on. At first it did not seem to come one, I turned the key off and back on again and noticed the headlight came on but ALSO the P.C. lights. So now I'll have to wait for it to break again so I can see if the headlight is coming on when the P.C. is not. I notice that when the P.C. lights are on, the FI light is solid while cranking. When the P.C. is dead, the FI light flashes. Could this be a bad tip sensor or would that kill the motor while it was running too? It sounds really rattely when I tap it but maybe that's normal, I never messed with it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moellermania View Post
So all the lights come on with the key?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Checked into that tip sensor some more... while the bike appears to be working, I disconect the tip sensor and get an identical problem. Plug it back in and it works again. Repeated several times. Once, I plugged it in and it did not work, so I tapped the sensor, key off , key back on, lights on P.C. come on. Therefore, I'm fairly certain its the tip sensor. I must have bumbed it a few times when I was wiggling wires and fooled myself into thinking it was a loose connection somewhere. Does this sound plausible? If so I'm gonna try to take the ball out. That should solve it right?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I Ride: 2004 Green ZX-636R ----inlet/exhst ported,Dyno Tuned,Full Blueflame exhst,K&N Air/Oil filters,Ix NGK plugs,Kleen/airbox mods,Michelin pp2's 120/190

have you got a volt meter - or get a lend.... connect to wires (-) w/y (+) bk/y. turn ign on and shud get 12v from batt!! if not check main ecu fuse.

remove sensor from bike wires attached and now connect (-) y/g (+) as above and messure volts with it tilted (3.7 - 4.4 volts) and with sensor arrow pointed up (0.4 - 1.4 volts)! if not within range the sensors funked... not sure ya can run bike without..... as in taking ball out - if within range wiring cud be suspect! check ecu ground and power supply also

Last edited by IRL2004636; 08-09-2010 at 10:07 PM.
IRL2004636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

In the process of elimination, I've discovered that jiggling the wires really doesnt seem to have an affect anymore. The only way I can get it started now it by rocking it back and fourth vigorously. This really make me think it's the sensor itself. When I perform the first test above, looking for 12v, that is done with the wires off the sensor, correct? If it ends up being the sensor is there any way to bypass it with a resistor or anything so that I dont have to buy a new one? I hate to spend the money on something pointless.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by n8huntsman; 08-10-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

I Ride: 2004 Green ZX-636R ----inlet/exhst ported,Dyno Tuned,Full Blueflame exhst,K&N Air/Oil filters,Ix NGK plugs,Kleen/airbox mods,Michelin pp2's 120/190

On or off doesnt matter - its just to make sure its getting power!!

OEM is what i use... who knows what ya cud screw up for the price of a $20 part on ebay - just make sure its a working one haha! luck of the draw from my exper, or head the dealer with ur wallet in tow!

If ur intent on goen down the f**k it track im sure if ya replaced it with resistor or what ever with correct return voltage - just mite work! but i take NO responsibility - its ur call and ur bike (over heated resistor/ wiring and plastics dont play well)
IRL2004636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement