08 ZX6R - Fairing Removal (Core/Rivets) - Bike Cleaning : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > ZX Forums > Mechanical & Technical

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

08 ZX6R - Fairing Removal (Core/Rivets) - Bike Cleaning

Just bought my bike a few months ago and I was driving up in the mountains when a guy knew a shortcut between Deckers and Sedelia. Took the bike off roading (not on purpose) through some nice dirt muddy roads and I would like to clean the bike down completely but I'm having trouble removing the fairing from my '08 ZX6R.

I've take off all the little allen bolts but there are still the core and quick rivets that need to be removed. I can't seem to figure out how to remove these. I know the manual says to use a screw driver to pull up on the core and then remove the rivet.

Am I doing something wrong? It can't be this hard to take all the fairings off! Around the turn signal area of the inside of the bike near the forks the manual says there are two more quick rivets on each side. How do I remove these without breaking them? Are these going to break no matter what? Do I need to buy replacements just to take the fairings off. Seems like a lot of work and expense just to clean the bike. BTW: mud is still caked on everywhere that the hose couldn't really reach!

Does anyone have any good cleaning tips? A friend told me about some spray (..... 100 something) that you leave on for a few minutes and then spray down the bike and it removes everything from brake dust to chain lube. Anyone know what he was talking about
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

From: just down the hill from 158 corners in 12 miles.. cottonwood az
I Ride: 2000 zrx1100

PUSH THE CENTER OF THE "RIVETS" IN so that they can be removed...once you get them out then you can push the center pin back OUT so you can put them back in place...once in place ya push the PIN in flush again...done...
SOME of them do use a small plastic phillips head center pin that you can screw out...
zaneyzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I Ride: 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaneyzrex View Post
PUSH THE CENTER OF THE "RIVETS" IN so that they can be removed...once you get them out then you can push the center pin back OUT so you can put them back in place...once in place ya push the PIN in flush again...done...
SOME of them do use a small plastic phillips head center pin that you can screw out...
You're thinking of a different style. With the kind he has (I have), you have to use a flathead screwdriver to pry the center pin up a little bit and the you can pull the whole rivet out. You'll see that there is a indent on opposite sides of the head where you can get the screwdriver in. I find it easier to twist the screwdriver a little rather than pry it.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 2007 Zx6r

Both of you are right. shifty the ones you are talking about are located on the bottom of the mid fairing all the way by the "chin?" of the bike right behind the front tire at the bottom. the place that he is trying to get out are as zaneyzrex described. there are a few of them and a couple 4mm allen screws and it juss pops off. Juss be aware on the right side your computer is attached to the fairing so dont juss go ripping it off till you unsnap it.
jboudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all the posts. You guys both described the two different rivets I was looking to remove and I had no clue on either one. Also, thanks for the input about the computer on the right fairing. I'm sure that wouldn't go over to well in my head if I ripped that off!
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement