Morning After Problems - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Morning After Problems

Up until two weeks ago, I've had no major problems with my 2007 ZX-6. I keep up on my oil changes and other very basic routine kind of maintenance. So, here is my story/cry for help:

Two weeks ago I just rolled over to 18K, as I was pulling into my house, after riding home from work; my gas light came on, but I figured I would get some gas in the morning before I got to work. The next morning, as soon as I started up my bike, I could tell that it was idling very strange (RPM's were a bit jumpy while idling, and it just sounded off to me). I didn't think too much of it, and decided to ride it into work, like I normally do. As I was riding, I noticed that the bike would completely fall on it's face when I gave it gas, and up until about 4k RPM. It would them collect itself and accelerate like normal. Every time I would come to a light to a stop, the same thing would happen: bogging down, sputtering, but not every stalling out.

I tried adding some SeaFoam into the tank to see if that would help - it didn't. So, I took the tank off, pulled the fuel pump out, and drained all of the gas. Filled it with new gas, but still no luck.

I changed the spark plugs on it (first time ever after 18K of riding; way overdue, I know), hoping that would possibly be the cause. It ran really well after doing that for about 4 days, and I figured I had fixed the problem. Went for a longer ride yesterday with no problems at all. As I was pulling into my subdivision, my gas light came on, but I chose to just park it, and get gas in the morning.

I go for a ride today, and it's idling weird again. It's not falling on its face like it was before, but it definitely sounds sputtery again, and the idle is bouncing. I have attached (hopefully; this is my first time posting here) a few videos to show what the RPM's look like as they are bouncing, and how the exhaust is sounding.

Does anyone know what could be the issue here? I do notice that the problem occurred both times with low gas over night (possible condensation?), but it's not the only two times I've had my bike sit for less than 12 hours overnight with low gas.

Video 1

Video 2

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:45 AM

I Ride: 2003 ZX9 Silver

Garage
Did you flush the tank out as well during the pump removal? Could be crud in the tank from the gas station. Have you tried some injector cleaner as well? I am not sure what seafoam does other than remove water from gas. Sounds like shit in the tank, fuel get low and it picks up the shit in the bottom part of the tank. Just a thought, I am not sure about where or how the fuel system works in the newer bikes I still have carbs and thankful for that :)

fahza fahza can you heeeaar me!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:53 PM

Did the bike sit for a while during the winter? Same fuel stay in the tank for > 6 weeks? Ethanol gas is notorious for absorbing nasties and undergoing chemical conversions . That's what it sounds like to me.

An easy test would be to fill up at 1/2 a tank (instead of letting gas get low) and see if it still happens.

I got my money on bad gas. water is heavier than gas, so all the water ends up at bottom of tank, when gas gets low the fuel pump is now slurping up higher dose of nasty and it runs worse. Worn plugs would have made this worse. Solution: Drain and then siphon all the gas out of tank. All of it. Add some gas line antifreeze (aka denatured alcohol) and fill up with fresh gas. I recommend going to the trouble of buying a cheap siphon and getting that shyte outta there.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:36 PM

Sounds like a fuel filter to me. My guess is the tank sat low collecting the crap suspended in the tank, then you start the bike and suck all that crap into the filter restricting flow. I'd check into that first, then drain and clean the tank like everyone else is saying.

I don't know much about new Kawasaki's, but I do know a good bit about engines and automotive diagnosis. Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of a fuel filter on OP's model bike for me?

Last edited by Dalisword; 05-15-2017 at 02:39 PM. Reason: To Subscribe, no text changed.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you all for the helpful ideas.

I siphoned out all of the gas, and gave the tank a good cleaning, but still no luck. When I took the fuel pump out, I didn't see how I would open it to access the filter inside, but there does appear to be one in the, according to the service manual.

My bike has never sat more than two weeks, tops. I ride, even in the winter months, and especially this past winter.

Idle is still jumpy, but not always immediately after I start it up. However, it did die out while I was riding yesterday. Luckily I was able to pull into a gas station and fire it back up. Strange thing is, as soon as I fired it up, the low gas light indicator came right now. Maybe a fuel pressure/vacuum problem?

Someone also mentioned that it could be a bad coil. Anyone know if that could be causing such a problem?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 AM

I Ride: 2003 ZX9 Silver

Garage
With that light popping on all the time I might think you need some electical/computer diagnostics at the dealership.Could be censor/computer related. This is why I am kinda reluctant to by a new bike, just so much to go wrong on fuel injected bikes.

fahza fahza can you heeeaar me!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:33 AM

If you look in the manual there's a way of getting the computer to send out the codes at least on my 05 there is . You just ground out the wire in the tail and it will flash the codes on the dfi light . Worked for me when my sons bike needed a tps sensor . Computer flashed out the code we ordered the part . EZy Ran great after .

!990 zx 7
1985 gpz 750 turbo
1981 gpz 550
1983 gpz 550
1990 fzr 400
1982 gpz 750
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 AM

I Ride: 2003 ZX12R

Garage
I bought a 03 ZX12r a few weeks ago, and mine does the same thing. (idles odd but at 3K rpm with no added throttle, it jumps like a banshee) I'll be following this thread, maybe I will learn a thing or two lol. I need a repair/service manual if anyone has a pdf, I'd greatly appreciate it!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Still working on figuring this out.

Tried running the bike with the fuel cap open, and that helped the idle a tiny bit, but it didn't solve the problem.

I will try pulling the codes today to see if that will help me get this figured out.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Bike isn't throwing any code. :-(
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:13 AM

Do the new repair manuals have troubleshooting portions? I know they can be super hit and miss. Was the bike acting up when you tried to pull the codes or did it appear to be running fine?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 03:17 PM

Hi, i would say water contaminated fuel, i see quite a lot of this type of problem here in the UK. A lot of the "gas station petrol" is quite good quality but a lot of the cheap fuel sold from the "shopping malls" can be the lesser grade fuel the oil companies use for flushing, the start or end of a batch. The fuel is ok when constantly being moved around but when it is stationary and settles the water or other contaminating fluids can settle at the bottom of the tank so when the engine is next run it will suffer run faults missfires and complete stalling until the crap fuel is used up or clean fresh fuel is added, it should then clear faults and run ok.
Have you tried using a different source or different grade of fuel?

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The idle was still jumpy when I was trying to pull the codes; no codes were available.

I have flushed the tank (twice actually), and have used ethanol free petrol as well as my normal 93 octane. Both came from reputable gas stations, and different stations both times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page