Warped clutch feeling - new plates/discs - strange wear on release lever - ZX Forums
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By johnboat
  • 1 Post By ninja11zx
  • 1 Post By sledhead34
  • 1 Post By sledhead34
  • 1 Post By bgmagma10
  • 1 Post By Blakjack21
  • 1 Post By Blakjack21
  • 1 Post By bgmagma10

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Warped clutch feeling - new plates/discs - strange wear on release lever

2010 ZX6R - 18K miles, mechanic-owned from new(me), lots of commuting in hilly areas in traffic, plenty of track days, no major problems until now.

If this was a car, I'd pull and machine the flywheel. But it's not, so before I go nuclear and replace the clutch basket I thought I'd ask for your help.

Symptom:
When you pull in the clutch, put it into first and go, engagement is not smooth, it's wobbly like a warped brake rotor is wobbly. Not bad, most noticeable on hills with cars creeping up to a light in front of you. You can find even find a point (85% lever release or so) where it grabs then releases, engages and disengages, again just like a warped brake rotor when you're feathering the lever.

Worst part: Below 8 mph, when you're coasting with clutch in, waiting for the cager in front of you to get a move on, it'll intermittently clunk (sometimes several times) when you engage it, doesn't matter how much throttle you give it. Car analogy: Badly warped flywheel/clutch plate engages suddenly and chirps tires on engagement. What i think it's doing: clutch suddenly grabbing the output shaft and front sprocket slapping forward into the chain. That's what it sounds like.

What I did:
Figured I had some warped steels, was getting close to end of adjustment so I replaced clutch fibers, springs (both clutch and torque-limiting) and steels with kawasaki OEM. Noted strange wear on release lever (pic below) and replaced that as well. Snap-on torque wrench used for all fasteners, 87 in/lbs on spring bolts.

Still have same problem. Feels exactly like warped flywheel on a manual trans car.

The strange wear on the release lever seems to confirm that something is wobbling, as it wore a significant chunk of metal from the release lever. Peeking through oil fill hole while engine is running isn't definitive, but looks like it's wobbling a little when clutch is pulled.

Any suggestions would be appreciated before i pull it apart again. I suspect the clutch basket or one o the components the springs bolt to/pull on (clutch hub, clutch operating plate)

If your suggestion saves me the $350 on a clutch basket will receive eternal thanks and beer+bourbon money via paypal or vendor of your choice. Suggestions that confirm I need a new clutch basket will receive thanks and no beer or bourbon for anyone because I'll be broke.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:03 AM

I Ride: ZX11d Current... had 1984 GPz1100

All I can offer is moral support bruda... but the release point for sure looks as if it is moving or wobbleing around... Hope you get it figured out without having to buy a new basket... but is looks as if something is warped, bent, out of round or maybe just plain loose... good luck and keep us informed.

Johnny
Blakjack21 likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:34 PM

Check that clutch cable is working good and moving freely, also check clutch lever for any binding. from the wear on the release arm i would say it's not releasing all the way. you have free play at the lever. never seen a clutch basket warp .
Blakjack21 likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:26 PM

Garage
get all new clutch parts off a salvage yard best way to cheap it done there has to be other bikes out there crashed
Blakjack21 likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:42 PM

Garage
take it all apart and reassemble following a parts diagram stack the clutch plates so you know there flat the problems should be obvious to spot a spacer could be missing also the slave side pin could be out of place too possible not straight or bent or not lined up the best your slave side the actual slave piston could be bad and sitting screwed up too ive had those go bad and clutches too but nothing ever warped feeling I could see a part like a spacer missing could cause havoc in a hurry though
Blakjack21 likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:08 AM

I Ride: 2005 ZX-10R, 2012 ZX-14R

First, when you replaced your clutch pack, were you sure to put the rounded edge of the steel facing the inside of the engine? If not, you need to. That will cause engagement issues as well. Also, the clutch pull rod that you pictured, I have had to replace 3-4 of those on my ZX-10. That would definitely cause issues. If that rod is bad, you need to check the nipple it meets as well. I have only had to replace one of those Nipple pieces but they do wear out as well.
Blakjack21 likes this.

"Live to die happy" Matt Hoffman

My Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4S...yMffEH7y8vq02g
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

First, thanks to all of you for your suggestions - much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmagma10 View Post
First, when you replaced your clutch pack, were you sure to put the rounded edge of the steel facing the inside of the engine? If not, you need to. That will cause engagement issues as well.
You were dead on, I had one of the steels with the rounded side facing out. Turned it around and problem is gone. PM sent, I owe ya some dranks.

Again, thanks everyone.
johnboat likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:51 AM

I Ride: ZX11d Current... had 1984 GPz1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjack21 View Post
First, thanks to all of you for your suggestions - much appreciated.

You were dead on, I had one of the steels with the rounded side facing out. Turned it around and problem is gone. PM sent, I owe ya some dranks.

Again, thanks everyone.
that's awesome...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
that's awesome...
You said it, very grateful to everyone here - can't believe I screwed that one up...
johnboat likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:16 PM

I Ride: 2005 ZX-10R, 2012 ZX-14R

That is awesome!! Glad it was a cheap fix for you man! And always glad to help when I can.
johnboat likes this.

"Live to die happy" Matt Hoffman

My Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4S...yMffEH7y8vq02g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page