Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Bike Magazine trashes GTR

27K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  Beethoven 
#1 ·
5 Tourers tested to the Czech republic, GTR came in last by all three of the main testers! :scared

Some points they knocked it on include the screen (agree) hard seat (agree) range (agree) engine (disagree) drive lash (disagree) luggage (disagree).

They did state that tested on its own the bike is quite happy doing the range but they stated that all the other bikes felt like goldwings (comfort wise) after a stint on the GTR.

Can't say I agree with the overall conclusion but have to give them the points stated, perhaps Kawasaki will listen and at least sort some of the genuine issues out such as the screen and glovebox on the next revision!

#30 ·
You can't disable it for good but as soon as it pops up just press and hold the top button on your multifunction guage and then push the lower button. The LOW warning will revert back to your normal screen and a red low fuel light will come on. Little bit fiddley with gloves on while riding but it can be done easily enough.

#32 ·
Something else , magazine SuperBike December 2007, the same story and final verdict : 1.BMW 1200 GT
2.HONDA STR 1300
3.GTR 1400
4.YAMAHA FJR 1300
Well, the good news is that you can purchase an online digital copy of the magazine. The bad news is that this costs $8.10 and then requires the download of some "special" digital reader" software.

Seems like they used a sledge-hammer to crack a nut; downloading a pdf would have been much easier. Anyway, it's taken over 5 minutes to download the digital copy (on my 1MB "broadband" link) so it's not nearly as efficient as a pdf. (Perhaps the software will prevent any form of printing or copy and pasting). We'll see.

(20 mins later; I have paid the money; downloaded the software; downloaded the digital magazine but cannot open it because I am (apparently) unlicensed.. :banghead)

#39 ·
In 2010, Motoplus (Netherlands) did the comparison between:
1. BMW K1300GT
2. Kawasaki 1400GTR
3. Yamaha FJR1300A

I place the article in black and white on http://logocom.be/moto/kawasaki/
and then go to 2010-10-Motoplus... or go directly to the link http://logocom.be/moto/kawasaki/2010-01-motoplus-KAWA1400GTR-K1300GT-FJR1300A.pdf

You will need the password "MOTOPLUS" (author rights) for opening the PDF.

It is in Dutch, but I am a journalist so you have to read it 'right' (the same happens here, I presume), especially in the end:

Check page 11: Kawasaki is always second except for 'costs' where they even made the error that oil change is only every 12000 km instead of every 6000 km (reason I bought this moto, and also for the reason of big luggage possibilities, I use it for working).

But: Best price-quality = Kawasaki.

I still agree this article counts also for the Pan (I was a ST100 rider, and loved it a lot, but I did NOT like the newer Pan), I made the crazy record in consumption (3,7 liter/100 km = 602 km with one tank, do NOT try this at home, I will neither try it twice, I think), and the same counts for all the BMW's I drove.

I hoped the BMW K1600GT would be better, but even that is NOT true.

However I have the gell seat, and am happy to announce I had also an accident with the 1400GTR July 2013 and did not have any injury and the motorbike still drives perfectly (only at right side: mirror and case totall loss, my foot was protected by the side bars so guys, please take from me it can safe your feet), so now the 1400GTR got 13/10 from me.

BMW allways gives a lot to journalist (I am a journalist, so I do know), and Kawasaki only gives us by while a test model. That is the real reason.

The only things that can be better are: cruise control, option to have the old heating in the winter in Belgium of the old GTR for heating my legs (new version has the heat passed away by both sides) and an windscreen like only the old BMW K75 had (also a police motor).

#40 ·
I'll be the dissenting post in this old thread. We bought a new 2009 Concours in 2010, the 'new bike honeymoon' lasted about three months, after which we couldn't get rid of it fast enough, but even that took another year and a half to accomplish. I'm not going to go into all the details, just suffice it to say that I considered it a great engine surrounded by stupidity and leave it at that.

My experience with my ZX14 is the opposite, I've owned it now for several years and still like it as much as the day I bought it.

#42 ·
I just finished reading a review of the new Harley line in a magazine. It was so biased it made my head hurt. They took the fact that that the brakes, power, frame and suspension were essentially unchanged (read inadequate) and bragged about the stereo system and styling. These reviews are biased based on advertising revenue and unless you read between the lines they are worthless. Only thing that I would change on C14 is to lower the pegs a bit, because the pillion's feet interfere with mine at stops, and change the amount of power the rear brake link has on the front brake. Otherwise, these reviewers are biased or bribed.

#43 ·
I have come to the conclusion that most testers are paid shills. When was the last time you read a Harley review that actually told the truth about the brakes and handling and lack of real power? I read a sport touring comparo where they bitched because the Connie doesn't have cruise control. What a bunch of wussies. If you want comfort and gadgets get a %$#@ CAR! I WANT to feel the throttle - Does the Connie have faults? - yup - but these testers are not good enough to see them. BTW - the MRA touring windscreen (the one with the wing) gets rid of all the screen problems IMHO. I have one, and is better than anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.