Bike Magazine trashes GTR - Page 2 : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > GTR 1400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #21 (permalink)

I Ride: 08 C14, 03 Concours, 84 Honda 550,78 Honda 350 Chopper,68 Honda 175

I think the comparisson was bias. Concours 14 haters
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

I Ride: Kawasaki GTR 1400

... my last Bike Pan European (ST1300) was not half so good, as my GTR!
I couldn't drive faster than 170 km/h (110 mp/h) with her. otherwise she wobbled like a cow tail! Last week, I drove with my GTR 1400 more than 250 km/h (150 mp/h), incl. Topcase on it! --- What a bike! --- She ran like a train! They should try this with other bikes!
GTRWerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
JIS

I Ride: Hopefully a 1400GTR soon (until Feb '08 a BMW K1200GT)

As a regular reader of Bike magazine, and as a very new rider of the GTR, I was "gob-smacked" by the review. In the past week, I have discovered and tested the GTR as a replacement for my current BMW K1200GT.

I had forgotten the outcome of the Bike test but, having covered some 130 (test) miles on a new GTR, I was certain that Bike would agree with my views. Well I was 100% wrong. Bike seemed to have it in for the GTR although they did admit that "on its own" the GTR is a great bike. To my mind, the GTR is possibly the very best bike I have ridden; I find its key strength are; handling; stability; PERFORMANCE ; and comfort. However, yes I will replace the screen and the seat too. These are trivial complaints against a bike that is so superbly capable. If anyone wants a copy of the Bike magazine article, I hope to get a copy and can scan (then pdf) and make it available.

Stop Press! I have just put my GT up on eBay a few hours ago, and already have someone willing to buy it. This means that I that much closer to placing an order for a GTR
JIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

I've posted this on another forum as my reaction to BIKE!!

Bike ( UK ) just did a test of "sport touring" bikes. There criteria seems more tourning than sport!! They picked a BMW RT as best bike, even though they said It is comfortable, has great wind protection, and goes down the road with ease. They also said "if they weren't riding the auto route, it's a terible MOTORCYLE! It has a rotten gear box, really bad switch gear, and a rough motor!! Go figure!! But it's a great lazyboy going down the road!

They did 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times.
The C14 posted ( at that date ) the fastest 0-60 they had every tested.( they later tested the new Haybusa as faster )

They also "railed" on the C14 for the seat comfort, fuel range, and wind protection.
DATA:
############0-60 times__________1/4 mile
C14=__________3.02 sec___________10.85
K1200GT=_______3.30______________11.80
FJr____________3.49______________12.3
ST1300_________4.34______________12.53
BMWR1200SE_____4.86______________13.08
The slowest slug was the best because all THEY cared about was wind protection and a cushy seat!!
While they ripped the C14 for it's "range" and fuel gage.
Their number two pick the K1200GT was noted for having a roughness in the engine and a bloody clunky gear box.
Fuel range for the K1200GT was not an issue!!
The difference as measured.
C14 range was 206 miles while the K1200GT was 213!!! A whole 7 miles more made the difference.
As far as avg. fuel economy for the trip, the C14 did BETTER in Avg fuel economy than either the K1200GT or the FJR!!!
How fast is it!!!
Damn fast! And that is why most of US bought it!!
Objectively this is one fast bike.
Subjectively some people just don't like a SPORT-Tourer they want a sport-TOURER

Last edited by FBRR; 01-29-2008 at 03:14 PM.
FBRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:27 AM   #25 (permalink)

I Ride: 1400 GTR black

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBRR View Post
I've posted this on another forum as my reaction to BIKE!!

Bike ( UK ) just did a test of "sport touring" bikes. There criteria seems more tourning than sport!! They picked a BMW RT as best bike, even though they said It is comfortable, has great wind protection, and goes down the road with ease. They also said "if they weren't riding the auto route, it's a terible MOTORCYLE! It has a rotten gear box, really bad switch gear, and a rough motor!! Go figure!! But it's a great lazyboy going down the road!

They did 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times.
The C14 posted ( at that date ) the fastest 0-60 they had every tested.( they later tested the new Haybusa as faster )

They also "railed" on the C14 for the seat comfort, fuel range, and wind protection.
DATA:
############0-60 times__________1/4 mile
C14=__________3.02 sec___________10.85
K1200GT=_______3.30______________11.80
FJr____________3.49______________12.3
ST1300_________4.34______________12.53
BMWR1200SE_____4.86______________13.08
The slowest slug was the best because all THEY cared about was wind protection and a cushy seat!!
While they ripped the C14 for it's "range" and fuel gage.
Their number two pick the K1200GT was noted for having a roughness in the engine and a bloody clunky gear box.
Fuel range for the K1200GT was not an issue!!
The difference as measured.
C14 range was 206 miles while the K1200GT was 213!!! A whole 7 miles more made the difference.
As far as avg. fuel economy for the trip, the C14 did BETTER in Avg fuel economy than either the K1200GT or the FJR!!!
How fast is it!!!
Damn fast! And that is why most of US bought it!!
Objectively this is one fast bike.
Subjectively some people just don't like a SPORT-Tourer they want a sport-TOURER
mumu07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
JIS

Dazed and Confused ?!

Well said FBRR ! But in addition, they say :
"Semi sporting riding position with high pegs, tight knee angle and low bars. Not an uncomfortable position, but certainly one for the younger touring gentleman!"

I nearly fell over reading THAT! It was precisely because of the semi sport riding position on the K1200GT that I have to change to something more "upright" with less of a bend in the knees. So I rode the GTR and found that i was able to ride for 2 hours with no problems at all. Normally on the K1200GT (classic), I am getting some aches after 45 mins. Not so the GTR.

And what about the suspension please. Yes I did find it hard but the dealer assured me that they would "bed in" after a few thousand miles (the GTR had less than 200 miles on it!) Thoughts?

John

Last edited by JIS; 02-09-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: typo (again!)
Old 01-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #27 (permalink)

I Ride: 2010 GTR1400 with Two Brothers carbon slip-on

Rode a RT because we wanted something more comfy than the ZX14, that bike put me off a tourer, slow, engine sluggish & rough, only liked the ESA, the the GTR come along, it is miles better and better looking than the rest. I take the bike mag tests with a pinch of salt, will never swop the GTR for any of the others. It is not perfect, screen too low and seat is a bit hard, but we regularly stop so it is not such a problem. In SA it is very hot so the wind cools things down, put a lip spoiler on the screen, deflects the wind enough to do high speeds. The FJR & ST needs a serious upgrade & the GT is about ZAR20,000 more expensive in SA.
Frans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:21 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I agree with the fueling range 140miles till fuel low comes on. The testers all got very irate about that but obviously didn't know how to disable the FUEL LOW warning.
Sorry to hijack, how do you disable that idiotic fuel low warning?
rifleman223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:03 AM   #29 (permalink)

I Ride: Honda CB1300 ; Kawasaki GTR1400

Hi

yep, would be great to know how to switch it off for good!! Itś simply annoying!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:12 AM   #30 (permalink)

I Ride: 1400GTR in Diablo Black

You can't disable it for good but as soon as it pops up just press and hold the top button on your multifunction guage and then push the lower button. The LOW warning will revert back to your normal screen and a red low fuel light will come on. Little bit fiddley with gloves on while riding but it can be done easily enough.

Chris

The biggest difference between Men and Boys is the price of their toys........
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #31 (permalink)

I Ride: Kawasaki GTR 1400 black

Something else , magazin SuperBike december 2007, the same story and final verdict : 1.BMW 1200 GT
2.HONDA STR 1300
3.GTR 1400
4.YAMAHA FJR 1300
greko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
JIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by greko View Post
Something else , magazine SuperBike December 2007, the same story and final verdict : 1.BMW 1200 GT
2.HONDA STR 1300
3.GTR 1400
4.YAMAHA FJR 1300
Well, the good news is that you can purchase an online digital copy of the magazine. The bad news is that this costs $8.10 and then requires the download of some "special" digital reader" software.

Seems like they used a sledge-hammer to crack a nut; downloading a pdf would have been much easier. Anyway, it's taken over 5 minutes to download the digital copy (on my 1MB "broadband" link) so it's not nearly as efficient as a pdf. (Perhaps the software will prevent any form of printing or copy and pasting). We'll see.

(20 mins later; I have paid the money; downloaded the software; downloaded the digital magazine but cannot open it because I am (apparently) unlicensed.. )
Aspiring owner of Kawasaki 1400GTR
BMW K1200GT (Classic) - 2007
BMW R1150R - 2006-2007
Old 02-10-2008, 05:25 AM   #33 (permalink)

I Ride: Kawasaki GTR 1400 black

ha ha this is really bad luck
greko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #34 (permalink)

I Ride: BMW R1200GS ; Gilera Nexus 500, Ducati Hypermotard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman223 View Post
Sorry to hijack, how do you disable that idiotic fuel low warning?
I haven't yet seen the light come on, but tend to fill up when it comes close or on the last fuel-dot; yesterday it got (238KM/15L) 146.9m/3.3g with the last fuel-dot just appearing, despite my occasional handful I must have a conservative throttle??

I find the faster you cruise the smoother it gets; I often describe the legs are like sitting at the PC, no vibration whatsoever; the bars have some buzz around 100kmh,annoyingly, but I have a few metal plates in my arms/shoulders which I think affect my position occasionally; I am enjoying the $AU10,000 saving from not buying the BMW in getting the occasional accessory (or three), apart from the money, this bike is a spaceship, haven't yet found a more secure roadholding with brakes to match with all the gear packed.
I read those mag-reports like political statements, there's the facts and data and there's the opinions written...good entertainment/reading on a rainy day
GTRPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #35 (permalink)

I Ride: 1400GTR in Diablo Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRPete View Post
........good entertainment/reading on a rainy day

Also makes good arsewipe

Chris

The biggest difference between Men and Boys is the price of their toys........
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:49 AM   #36 (permalink)
JIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Also makes good arsewipe
I have managed to download the mag using an XP PC (as opposed to my Vista laptop).

I read the review of the GTR with disappointment; how is it that they found the GTR so lacking in mid-range torque and that it retains the peaky nature of the ZZR-1400?
Quote:
Superbike Dec 2007 But in many ways it's the motor that's most disappointing. Taken in isolation, it's good [snip]..but back to back with the K1200 (GT), it's lacking in bottom end and screaming peak power. Even the more leisurely Pan makes the GTR feel utterly limp in the midrange

Of course we are no doubt biased on this forum but it does make you wonder how it is that both Bike and Superbike can trash the GTR when they perform Tourer tests.

That said, the GTR is still the bike I have most enjoyed (ever)
Aspiring owner of Kawasaki 1400GTR
BMW K1200GT (Classic) - 2007
BMW R1150R - 2006-2007
Old 02-22-2008, 05:29 AM   #37 (permalink)

Perhaps they were test riding the 100hp.....

...Euro restricted versions?

Perhaps they should have tried the UK full power version.
Scrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement