Best and worst road surfaces for traction : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > ZX Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Best and worst road surfaces for traction

Concrete, black top, other etc.. How do you guys think they stack up? Sometimes I wonder when I have committed to a turn and the road surface changes.. I wonder if I just lost or gained traction. I am just starting to lean the bike over more as evidenced by my slightly shrinking chicken strips so it has been on my mind.
Oh and why do some of the roads in South Carolina sparkle? Never seen anything like it.

-Will Judy
tilefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sparkles can be either one of two things : Sand, or RR riding his 6R in NC with pink glitter on his helmet!

In all seriousness; I like riding on concrete the most. Tons of grip, but I always get a little scared when I'm on it. The mentality is: If I were to fall right now, I would be more or less sliding on a cheese grater.

Gotta hate that fricken' white lane paint in the mornings or later at night. Pretty much the same as ice!

Sir Thread Jackin, High Pressure Sales Whore of ZXF!
ZXXXXXXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
#1 Trouble Maker

I Ride: 2014 ZX14R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXXXXXXR View Post
Gotta hate that fricken' white lane paint in the mornings or later at night. Pretty much the same as ice!
We have the plastic domes that stick up and scare the crap out of you when you run over them.

185EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 2005 636

I worry more about the bumps in the turns then the type of road surface. But I guess we all have our gremlins.

www.almarsguides.com For all your gaming needs (my sons website)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehendrix View Post
dafack is goin on in here. smells like sex, sweaty gooch and, if big russ farts again, vaseline.
oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I Ride: '08 ZX10r - '10 BMW S1000rr - '08 KLR650

Tar Snakes!!! Georgia loves to use that crack sealant shit. I can not get past the fear of that stuff. it will forever haunt me. Some riding buddies it does not bother, they just let the ass end step out like they are on a super moto....i'm to concerned about the front sayin' "buh bye". when we come up on that stuff i simply shut down and almost idle. they all know just to keep on rollin', i'll catch back up when i get out of that shit.

on the note of concrete, around here some of the on ramps are that polished concrete, that scares the shit out of me also.

"Bad decisions make good stories."
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Tar Snakes!!!

Quote:
on the note of concrete, around here some of the on ramps are that polished concrete, that scares the shit out of me also.

polished concrete? do you mean sealed like this shit?

Instant suicide when wet.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

You know what Tar Snakes are right?

Not concrete exactly like that, it has a good amount of visible pea gravel mixed in with it but it's so slick it might as well be polished/sealed.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

I Ride: 06 zx-14

Around here they will put tar and chip anywhere. Without warning you come up on a curve that just got a fresh coating of pea gravel...WTF!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90zxr750 View Post
But it has now changed into a thread jacked argument in a thread about not jacking thread and wasting space... that is all
06' ZX14 Candy Thunder Blue
moellermania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

I Ride: 2005 ZX6R

I prefer asphalt. Concrete can be awfully slick and, oftentimes, concrete means loose surface material. Tar snakes only bug me in high-speed corners and they don't do that "tar and chip" shit around here. The one thing they do that bugs the hell out of me is they "texture" on/off ramps. Basically, concrete or asphalt, they take this machine and groove the surface. They say it's for drainage during rain but it seems to hold the water better than a slick surface...but what really kills me is that no matter how much it rains or how much traffic runs it over, it's always covered in gravel and debris.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
You know what Tar Snakes are right?

Not concrete exactly like that, it has a good amount of visible pea gravel mixed in with it but it's so slick it might as well be polished/sealed.
lol Tar Snakes, I assumed what they were, I just had never heard the term before. I thought it was a funny (and proper) name!

I think i know what you mean about that kind of concrete. it sucks!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

be in some tight mountain twisties on corners you can't see through at full lean then BAM run upon something similar to this.....

Old 06-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

Imo

Best to worst. I also factor in road conditions that allow the tires to warm sufficiently (good), as opposed to conditions where the tires remain cold no matter what road surface (bad)
Freshly cured smooth blacktop (on rails)
Any smooth road where the surface has been sealed with coarse gravel several years back. (first two are very close)
Worn or patched blacktop (road surface can be seen being kicked up from leading riders)
Blacktop with patches of concrete (race line upsetting. I tilt the bike more upright as I go over to compensate for the extra momentary slide rate)
Completely concrete (sliding proportional to surface dust/dirt/sand grit size, similar to riding over painted surfaces)
Worn blacktop with sun heated tar snakes (consider them similar to RR tracks - take perpendicular line whenever possible)
Any road surface where gravel has been knocked onto your path between the entrance and apex (select one of the cage tire lines, where gravel typically tends to be less, and ride it out)
Fresh water running over any road surface where the accumulation of road grime/goo/moss and water mixes to turn the conditions into that of an ice rink. (Evasive action necessary, prepare for death grip)
At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock.
Science & OODA literate. ACA covered.
e1_ZX-9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

Thats the one that scares me too. I know exactly what you are talking about. Its not quite polished but appears to have a very smooth surface. Its on all of the overpass sweeper on/off ramps and usually has a huge bump where it meets the black top. It freaks me out every time. I typically slow down and let the cages stack up behind me. Fuck 'em I am long gone by the time it straightens out anyway. They will just have to slow down for a minute.

-Will Judy
tilefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Leader

I Ride: fat chicks

Smooth, dry blacktop when it's above 65 and sunny: favorite
6" wet grass, doing 70 in a curve: least favorite

Sent from my laptop using the recliner app.
rrzxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Leader

I Ride: fat chicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXXXXXXR View Post
Sparkles can be either one of two things : Sand, or RR riding his 6R in NC with pink glitter on his helmet!
And it's not pink, it's rasberry! (bitch)

Sent from my laptop using the recliner app.
rrzxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

I Ride: 01 zx6r

wjat about freshly paved roads they have started to repave a lot of roads around here kinda worried about them but idk what to think
guitarocker420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

I Ride: 2005 ZX6R

Freshly paved asphalt is awesome...just stay away from the fresh paint.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

I Ride: 2013 ZX-14R (Passion Red)

I know this is an old post but macadam roads (small gravel with asphalt lightly poured over) are by far the worst road surface to do a straight-line acceleration. I tried from a 20 mph roll with the computer off and she instantly tried to get sideways. I put her in Full power-mode level 2 and the computer kicked in so much that the run was a joke. I then found a black-top that was freshly paved and she shot off like a rocket.
rikstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #19 (permalink)

I Ride: Kawasaki ZX14

Im up in alberta so, because mothernature is a bitch here I will add the following :

1. Ice
2. Snow

I know they are obvious, but up here, you never know when they come around, even on a sunny day of july !
Eagle-TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

I Ride: 98' ZX750R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrzxter View Post
Smooth, dry blacktop when it's above 65 and sunny: favorite
6" wet grass, doing 70 in a curve: least favorite
Fresh dry black top its real nice.

Worst I have to say tar snakes.

Where do you encounter that much grass on a road lol once I hit a patch of itchy bitchy on a mx I was picking it out of my legs for about a week
maybellene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement