Old bike vs. new bike? - ZX Forums
View Poll Results: Which bike would you choose?
Old bike with needed investment 6 60.00%
New bike with monthly payment 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: WI
I Ride: 2012 zx10R, 1996 zx9r

Posts: 3,723
Old bike vs. new bike?

Would you repair a 20 year old bike or use the money for the repair to get a new/used-new bike?
old bike - 96 zx9r with a bunch of character that needs about $1500 worth of engine work
new bike - 13 ninja 1000 with 3xxx miles for $6k

I'm torn because the old bike is gorgeous, powerful and comfortable even 2up but the new bike is completely reliable.
jowek70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:22 PM
#1
 
185EZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Lake Havasu City,AZ USA
I Ride: 2014 ZX14R

Posts: 54,487
Garage
I would think the 1000 would be fine for 2 up also
I think the 1000 would be more enjoyable since you wouldn't have to work on it all the time.
Project bikes can be fun but I bet $1500 in repairs would be just the start.
Although I like the idea of a beautiful older bike that's paid for. It's something to show off more than just having a newer bike
I have a 20 year old boat that we bought new in 1997. When people see it and I say 20 years old they can't believe it. Kinda cool.
I'm not much help with your decision.
keepitgreen likes this.

December 2011 ROTM winner



Quote:
Originally Posted by massa222000 View Post
YOU'RE F - KING AWESOME!!!
185EZ is offline  
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:37 PM
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 51
Both

Buy the new bike, prep for storage and stash old bike somewhere safe, kill registration so they can't get you for fees or property taxes.

Pay off new bike

Pull old bike out of storage, have fun fixing up old bike.
Blakjack21 is offline  
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Newbie
 
Joined: May 2017
From: Iowa

Posts: 6
Is the $1500 you doing the work or a dealer doing the work? What's the asking price on the 900?

Last edited by Dalisword; 05-15-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: To Subscribe, no text changed.
Dalisword is offline  
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Zed Kable's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: Near LGW, W.Sussex
I Ride: ZX-7R P4

Posts: 803
Garage
Me I'd go for the 9R - cheap fun plus you could make it your own and there's plenty of help on tap here, BUT only if it was a 2000+ model IMO, a $1500 engine bill as a start point can't be good can it?
I would kill (or sell body parts) for a new ZX10R however.
Luckily I don't have your dilemma.
Hence: I have voted NEW - never thought I'd say that but time on a bike is better than waiting to ride one, again: IMO!

A ROTM winner yes, really! Blame bungles & WillZX14
Zed Kable is offline  
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
WillZX14's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
From: The East Side
I Ride: ZX14-R: Former bikes --> 2001 929RR, '04, '06 & '08 1000RR and '08 GSXR 1000

Posts: 3,076
New first then work on the second bike when the $$$ is available.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
August 2014 & April 2015
Ride of the Month Winner
WillZX14 is offline  
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: WI
I Ride: 2012 zx10R, 1996 zx9r

Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalisword View Post
Is the $1500 you doing the work or a dealer doing the work? What's the asking price on the 900?
No dealer but an engine shop
jowek70 is offline  
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: WI
I Ride: 2012 zx10R, 1996 zx9r

Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Kable View Post
Me I'd go for the 9R - cheap fun plus you could make it your own and there's plenty of help on tap here, BUT only if it was a 2000+ model IMO, a $1500 engine bill as a start point can't be good can it?
I would kill (or sell body parts) for a new ZX10R however.
Luckily I don't have your dilemma.
Hence: I have voted NEW - never thought I'd say that but time on a bike is better than waiting to ride one, again: IMO!

I have 2012 zx10r for a track bike
It's a 96 zx9r
jowek70 is offline  
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: WI
I Ride: 2012 zx10R, 1996 zx9r

Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillZX14 View Post
New first then work on the second bike when the $$$ is available.
It's not so much a matter of available cash but where to put it effectively.
I'd have 4 bikes if I got another one!
jowek70 is offline  
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: WI
I Ride: 2012 zx10R, 1996 zx9r

Posts: 3,723
Zx9 in question


Vs

Ninja 1000 potential
jowek70 is offline  
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: WI
I Ride: 2012 zx10R, 1996 zx9r

Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjack21 View Post
Both

Buy the new bike, prep for storage and stash old bike somewhere safe, kill registration so they can't get you for fees or property taxes.

Pay off new bike

Pull old bike out of storage, have fun fixing up old bike.
Not a bad idea.....
jowek70 is offline  
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: WI
I Ride: 2012 zx10R, 1996 zx9r

Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
I would think the 1000 would be fine for 2 up also
I think the 1000 would be more enjoyable since you wouldn't have to work on it all the time.
Project bikes can be fun but I bet $1500 in repairs would be just the start.
Although I like the idea of a beautiful older bike that's paid for. It's something to show off more than just having a newer bike
I have a 20 year old boat that we bought new in 1997. When people see it and I say 20 years old they can't believe it. Kinda cool.
I'm not much help with your decision.

My zx9 is the same; always get compliments and adoration from bike people and non bike people.
The ninja 1000 is nice but not nearly as much character.
jowek70 is offline  
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:31 AM
Senior Member
 
johnboat's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: Houston
I Ride: ZX11d Current... had 1984 GPz1100

Posts: 202
If I was only going on looks, the 9, for sure.
keepitgreen likes this.
johnboat is offline  
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:38 AM
Senior Member
 
fahzazxr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: Ontario
I Ride: 2003 ZX9 Silver

Posts: 305
Garage
I have an 03 9 so for me the choice would be the 9. I bought mine it was running and used the long boring winters to customize it over the last 3 years.I am the same, I get compliments all the time on her and I have done all the work myself, except the powder coating I had no equipment for that. I have spent way more then I would ever get back out of her but it was always a wish to get a 9 and I got mine. Even if I bought a new bike it would be hard to let her go. I know what I put in her and not sure anyone would take care of her like I do, shes my baby :)

fahza fahza can you heeeaar me!
fahzazxr is offline  
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
 
metalmechanic9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Rock Springs Wyoming
I Ride: 2006 ZX 14 2017 ZX-10 RR

Posts: 867
After seeing the 9R,, Im voting 9r,, that piece is SSEEXXXY

BUT i could probably do alot of the needed work myself

plus this beast is gonna cost u about 19, grand


Last edited by metalmechanic9; 05-16-2017 at 07:51 AM.
metalmechanic9 is offline  
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:37 AM
Newbie
 
Joined: May 2017
From: Iowa

Posts: 6
What's the problem with the 900? It sounds like you own it already?
Dalisword is offline  
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: WI
I Ride: 2012 zx10R, 1996 zx9r

Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmechanic9 View Post
After seeing the 9R,, Im voting 9r,, that piece is SSEEXXXY

BUT i could probably do alot of the needed work myself

plus this beast is gonna cost u about 19, grand


Nice
Saw a 10rr in person but honestly it's so pointless for street riding
Even at a brisk pace I never leave 6th gear or go above 9 or 10 k rpm
My 10r sees the track more than anything now and it suits my needs quite well
jowek70 is offline  
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: WI
I Ride: 2012 zx10R, 1996 zx9r

Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalisword View Post
What's the problem with the 900? It sounds like you own it already?
Needs engine work- cylinder scored beyond repair
Need about $450 to fix that and then looking at head work while it's apart -springs retainers 5 way valve job etc
jowek70 is offline  
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:15 PM
57x
7777
 
57x's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Aromas, CA
I Ride: 2014 Ninja 1000, lots of ZX7s and Z1000s

Posts: 5,908
I have a 2014 Ninja 1000. A little different from your2013, mostly electronics and the capability to install OEM bags from Kawasaki. Smooth bike. Great torque. Great handling. A little heavy for a 1000. The wheel base is quite short, so hard to keep the front wheel down in low gears unfortunately. Way more power than the B model 9. Yep, the Ninja 1000 is ugly. I traded from a 2004 ZX12R to a 2006 ZX14 to a 2009 Concours to the now 2014 Ninja 1000. I am mixed on keeping my Ninja 1000 as I am eternally power hungry. I have an eye on a 2016 ZX14R near me, but hard to decide as I love the hard saddle bags on the Concours and the Ninja 1000.

Builds in Progress
K ZX7R Superbike-ish
M ZX7R Crevier Superbike - Complete
M ZX7R Russell Superbike
N ZX7RR Yanagawa-ish Superbike
Z750S Frankenstein-ish bike
57x is offline  
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: WI
I Ride: 2012 zx10R, 1996 zx9r

Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57x View Post
I have a 2014 Ninja 1000. A little different from your2013, mostly electronics and the capability to install OEM bags from Kawasaki. Smooth bike. Great torque. Great handling. A little heavy for a 1000. The wheel base is quite short, so hard to keep the front wheel down in low gears unfortunately. Way more power than the B model 9. Yep, the Ninja 1000 is ugly. I traded from a 2004 ZX12R to a 2006 ZX14 to a 2009 Concours to the now 2014 Ninja 1000. I am mixed on keeping my Ninja 1000 as I am eternally power hungry. I have an eye on a 2016 ZX14R near me, but hard to decide as I love the hard saddle bags on the Concours and the Ninja 1000.
Thanks for the review
Internet says z1000 is about same hp as stock zx9 and top speed as well
I'd be curious to see them side by side
I think my zx9 has more grunt than my zx10 in certain areas of the rev range but it's far from stock
jowek70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome