Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

extending my zx6. please help.

4K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  ZuluNinja 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what size or style chain I need to get if I extend my zx6 6 inches? Please help me I found someone to add the extension but they want to sale the chain as well but I want to search f:eek:hnoand get a better understanding. Thanks guys.:eek:hno

#5 ·
extensions are a whole new game, specially for a 6. I think u might want to reconsider this. It will affect the bike's handling and u will have to redo the whole suspension, not to mention the big possibility of cracking stuff like your oil pan...

#8 ·
Javon.... I ride a 600. And honestly... you REALLY have to try to wheelie on it. I can pin my throttle all the way until it stops turning and redline every gear and maybe see an inch or two of air under the front wheel. And that's in like... 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears.

Extending the swingarm on a 600 for that reason alone is kind of lame. Since it's not all that easy to just see the front wheel pop into the air.

Best way to not wheelie on a 600 is to not clutch it up. Maybe you're revving the engine a little much between shifts and that's casuing these wheelies? :dunno

I'm stumped. Still.... don't do that to your 600. Unless you like being laughed at when you go to bike night.. lol.

#9 ·
javon.... I ride a 600. And honestly... You really have to try to wheelie on it. I can pin my throttle all the way until it stops turning and redline every gear and maybe see an inch or two of air under the front wheel. And that's in like... 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears.

Extending the swingarm on a 600 for that reason alone is kind of lame. Since it's not all that easy to just see the front wheel pop into the air.

Best way to not wheelie on a 600 is to not clutch it up. Maybe you're revving the engine a little much between shifts and that's casuing these wheelies? :dunno

i'm stumped. Still.... Don't do that to your 600. Unless you like being laughed at when you go to bike night.. Lol.
+1

#10 ·
Dude it's your bike so do what you want. If you wanna stretch it for any reason then go for it. Just because a couple of people might think it's pointless or dumb and crap doesn't matter because it isn't their bike.

I'm guessing that he probably does clutch it up to do wheelies on purpose because he found it fun. And now to keep from getting in trouble he might want to extend it to keep himself out of trouble.

Not sure how stretching it is going to cause the oil pan to crack. Only way I can see that the oil pan would crack is if he lowered the bike while stretching it. Even then the only way it would crack is if he didn't pay attention to the road and hit a dip or something that actually causes the oil pan to hit the road. Unless I'm just not thinking of something then please feel free to explain.

Yes you do obviously need to get a chain because the stock one or which ever one on the bike now isn't long enough. Not sure how many links you will need to do it but you can use a 520 chain. When putting a new chain on the bike you will also want to look at your sprockets. It's usually a good idea to change them as well depending on how much wear and tear is on them. If the sprockets have a lot of miles then they can cause the chain to wear out before normal.

#16 ·
Dude it's your bike so do what you want. If you wanna stretch it for any reason then go for it. Just because a couple of people might think it's pointless or dumb and crap doesn't matter because it isn't their bike.
Nobody told him he couldn't do anything to his bike.

I'm guessing that he probably does clutch it up to do wheelies on purpose because he found it fun. And now to keep from getting in trouble he might want to extend it to keep himself out of trouble.
Read his post again. It's easy to not wheelie.... it's called... don't wheelie. I do it all the time and don't even think about it. Really simple... just don't wheelie! woo hoo! I'm a genius!

Not sure how stretching it is going to cause the oil pan to crack.
Speed bump? Don't go over it slow or at the right angle and BANG! Cracked phuckin' pan man. But you're right that it might only be a problem if it's lowered.

Only way I can see that the oil pan would crack is if he lowered the bike while stretching it. Even then the only way it would crack is if he didn't pay attention to the road and hit a dip or something that actually causes the oil pan to hit the road. Unless I'm just not thinking of something then please feel free to explain.
+1

Again... Greddy... nobody is telling him what to do with his bike. Most are simply curious as to WHY someone would want to extend the swingarm on a 600. Extend away... :rofl

#11 ·
Stretched 600 ? :angry

Stretching any supersport bike that isnt being used for drag never made any sense to me... Saying your scared of the 600 wheeling is a reason to stretch it is a bit strange. As you do have to put quite a bit of effort in to powerwheelie a 600. If your stretching it to stop yourself from wheeling why not just stop wheeling instead :headscratch?

The 600 is meant to handle turns like a stripper handles the pole - smooth and tight. Stretching the 600 just takes all the fun out of it.

Yes it is your bike so do what you want and enjoy it!

#12 ·
Stretched 600's just look butt ugly man. If you're into that kind of look get a Hayabusa or ZX-14. I had a zx14 and you really had to be careful pinning the throttle. I have had my zx6r come up a few inches in first but I think you'd really have to try to 12 o clock it.

#18 ·
Its all good guys! I really appreciate all the comments. That dude did look kinda of silly. Lol. I wasn't ggoing to do it that far maybe 6 inches. Im not to sure on how bad I want to do that. Once I put the muffler on and powder coat my rims, levers and vortex footpegs. Im going to see if extending it will be a good idea. I will post the story up later on why I want to do it. I know everyone is curious. Lol it will say zx6 STORY.

#22 ·
I hate to add to the negative vibe in this thread, but it's a 6... You do realize it is a 6 and not a 10 or a 14 right? Our bikes are made for the twisties, stretching it out takes away your bike's happy time. And the ability of your bike to get up on one tire rests in one place... your right wrist. Don't be dumb with it, and you won't have to ruin a perfectly good vagina-moistening machine.

#24 ·
Your right it was all my fault! I did rev the throttle and before you know it hell broke loose. But being DUMB I wasn't I was making noise for my little daughter and let re clutch go it was a lack of attention to what I was doing basically. I appreciate the honesty though. :rofl

#26 ·
I would never stretch my bike, but thats just me........I did how ever thought this was nice looking when I saw it
Last summer at NH's annual Bike Week

#27 ·
Of course, the wife LOVED it.....It's Pink

#30 ·
I was thinking about extending my forks to keep the rear from coming up.

My Problem..

Solution :headscratch ..

Just messing w/ya Javon :nana I'm actually all for extending the swing arm on a 636. If it's set up correctly and no corners are cut I think it looks pretty clean. I'd be down to do it if I wasn't such a wheelie/stoppie slut.

FYI, my squid pics are old all you squid h8trs. I quit being an idiot and only ride w/my Icon Motorhead, gloves, and bomber helmet. Still wear shorts cus after all this is Southern California and the weather is too good not to.

#31 ·
What I meant was, with a stretch u might lower her too. My 14 did look kinda funny with her ass sticking up in the air cuz I stretched before I lowered her, and a 14's ass is not that tall to begin with (stretching raises the rear); I'd imagine that a 636 would be more pronounced.

When I lowered my bike I also took the flies out. The 14 makes mad power, and flies out aggravates the issue. 2 days later I took a dip on the road that I take every day at around 90 mph and the oil pan kissed the tarmac. I was lucky to keep her up till the parking lot where she finished bleeding out. After 2 agonizing weeks of correcting errors (relocated drain plug, swapped rear spring, etc) she was back on the road till present with no problems.

Moral of the story is to learn from other people's mistakes. Guess what? I had read about the lowering/stretching issue with the oil pan before I did mine, forgot about it and paid for my mistake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.